The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Lurch37

Shotgun for 3 Gun League

So I'm wanting to get into the 3 Gun League and have two out of the three things needed. What I may or may not have is a good shotgun for that part of the shooting. On a whim last year and because I thought it looked neat, I bought a Remington Tactical in the digital Camo. It has the pistol grip and extended mag and all that but I've really been wondering if I would be better served by an Semi-Auto.

I've looked at 3 different guns so far, all tactical models, the Remington 1100Tac 4, the FN SLP, and the Benelli M4. I like the Benelli M4 but the price is rather high compared to the others and I would have to buy a "real" mag extension since the one on there is fake which would add another 100 bucks or so. Also, in an effort to reduce the costs, I will probably trade the Reminton Tactical I have now unless I can be convinced its good enough.

I would like to hear any opinions from those of you that have possibly used one or more of these.

Thanks!
Old February 14, 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
the rifleer

personally i would want to get really good with the pump. I would take pride in knowing that i could compete with a pump when everyone else has an advantage.

If i got a semi auto though i would go for a benelli, either that or a Winchester extreama2, or maybe even a beretta, but the benelli would be my first choice.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:43 AM   #3
jmortimer

Why not get the FN SLP. Simple awesome firepower. I want one bad. There is a video on You Tube showing one being stripped and re-assembled. Simple awesome firepower.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:13 AM   #4
cdnbacon

My vote is for getting good with the pump also.....If there is any movement required you won't be at much of a disadvantage. Personal preference though, but I have tried semis to include the rem 11/87, the 1100 and the mossberg 930 and still like my pumps.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:13 PM   #5
DougW

Your 870 will work like a champ. Use it for a few matches and look to see what others are using, and how they are using them. I started off with an 870 for a few years, then moved up to a Benelli M1 Tactical when an opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, I would still be using the 870. BTW, the primary HD shotgun here is a Maverick 88 (need another 870, I really miss it).
Old February 14, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Cosmik de Bris

Benellis are very popular for 3 gun as are the FN SLPs. The SLP is the same as the Winchester SX2 (I think). The SLP comes in 18" and 22" barrels, the 22" has a fiber optic sight, the 18" has ghost rings.

Cheers
Old February 14, 2010, 06:32 PM   #7
arizona98tj

I have a Benelli SuperNova (pump) and have ran several thousand rounds through it, including bird, buck and slugs. It has gone with me to a couple of tactical shotgun courses at Front Sight. I've spent a lot of time with it on the local range running the same course of fire we use to qualify at Front Sight. I'm as comfortable with that gun as I've been with any over the past 40+ years of shooting.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a FNH SLP Mark 1 (22" barrel w/ an 8 round mag). Since getting it, I've had three serious range sessions with it, again, running the same FS drills. I've already comfortably trimmed .5~.75 seconds off of the 4 target engagement drill. And I can honestly say I am not use to the SLP yet....it's all different compared to running a pump and doing emergency reloads, select slug, etc. Each trip to the range gets a little better and faster.

There is, IMO, such a big difference between the two....and I'm loving every minute with the FNH. After my buddy test drove mine for 5 minutes at the range, he found a good deal on a Winchester SX2 and joined the club.