The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2002, 07:24 PM   #1
SquirrelNuts

Non-Canister IMR-4350

I am learning about reloading right now, I hope to have a RCBS Rockchucker in the next month. I am writing down everything I can find that relates to what I will be doing-reloading .30-06 for a Remington 700 and M1 Garand. I noticed in a few recipes that use IMR-4895 say NON-CANISTER. I did a search and found a post by Paul B. that explains what this means. Does the canister/non-canister only apply to 4895 or will I run into the canister problem with 4350 too?

(And yes, I am aware that I cannot run 4350 in my Garand.)

-SquirrelNuts
Old October 13, 2002, 08:59 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

You can have non canister powder in ANY type. All the military "pull down" powders and "new" surplus powders are all non canister. I have never personally seen IMR-4350 non canister but I feel certain it's probably out there some where.

It's cheaper for the ammo/powder companies to adjust the load for different lots of powder than to adjust the powder burning rates to be the same from lot to lot. In fact even canister powder may have a slight difference in burning rate from lot to lot.

That's the reason to redevelop a load when buying new powder of a different lot.