The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Rotab

Is this Nikon a good scope for the $$ ?

Is this Nikon a good deal on a mid priced scope? I will use
on Remington 700 30-06 up to maybe 200-250 yards.
Thanks
http://www.huntersdiscount.com/nibu3nima.html
Old October 28, 2005, 11:04 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

VERY good scope! I'd put it right up there with the mid-range Leupolds, and for less money. By the way, that's a decent price for a Buckmaster varible!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 29, 2005, 02:15 PM   #3
TheOpticZone

The Nikon Buckmasters are outstanding scopes for the money. I highly recommend them. Also, just for your info, we do sell that model slightly cheaper.
[email protected]
Old October 29, 2005, 04:31 PM   #4
JR47

The Buckmaster Series was just upgraded. This may be a pre-upgrade piece. Nothing wrong with it. I'm using one on a Model 70 in .270, and love it. We bought my wife one of the new ones for her Sig SHR 970 in .308. It has the quick-adjust focus, and the lens seems a mite clearer at the edges.
Old November 14, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
brianidaho

OpticZone, I hadn't realized you were a member here, I have been checking out your site quite a lot lately, prices seem to be very good, as does selection. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am looking for a scope for longer range (400-800 yard) informal target shooting, and elk and deer hunting here in North Idaho. I'd like something in the 4-5 power range low end-14-18 on the high end. I'd also like a mil-dot or comparable BDC-type reticles. I am limited to $400 on the upper end, any recommendation of any of these scopes? It'll be going on a Win Coyote in 7wsm.

Burris Signature Select 4-16x44, Ballistic Mil Dot, Matte

Sightron SII 4-16x42, Mil Dot, Satin Black

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40, SF, Mil Dot, Matte

Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44, Nikoplex, Matte

I'm really leaning towards the Buckmaster 4.5-14, the one I handled seemed very clear and bright, I thougth better than a comparable Burris Sig Select that cost significantly more. On the other hand, I don't claim to know enough to be a good judge.

Thanks, and sorry for breaking into your post Rotab.

BTW, heres the same scope at OpticZone, I have heard good things about this site:

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3607
Old November 16, 2005, 06:34 PM   #6
TheOpticZone

When you look at $ for $ vs quality, I personally like the Nikon Buckmaster. The scope is outstanding for the price. The Nikon Monarch is also a very nice scope, but in my opinion 5.5x is kind of on the high end for Elk and Deer. This Burris Signature Select is a better scope optically than the Buckmaster, but as stated the price does increase dramatically and I don't think it is twice the scope. As for the Sightron, this is also a nice scope and very comparable to the Nikon Buckmaster, but I give the edge to the Nikon. The one big thing is one person's eyes will see something totally different than other person's. Hopefully this helps you out.
[email protected]
Old November 16, 2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Jon

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Buckmaster series and the ProStaff series? I put a ProStaff 3x9x40 on my .270 Win., but only because I was impatient and they didn't have a Buckmaster in stock when I went shopping . Did I make a mistake here? The rifle is a Remy 700 BDL primarily used for varmits and target.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 17, 2005, 10:38 PM   #8
brianidaho

Jon, thanks for the reply, there will be an order coming your way shortly! Considering that the Buckmaster is considerably less expensive than the other scopes, that makes me feel pretty good. Should be a nice upgrade from my 30+ year old 2-7 Redfield! Thanks for the honest answer, you could have talked me out of another $150 or so.

Ain't it fun to christmas shop for yourself!

Capt Charlie, looks like about $50.... Sorry, if I could offer any input of valute I would.

Bri
Old January 12, 2006, 11:33 AM   #9
yooperchuck

nikon scopes

I have a buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope. I have had great luck with it. I like shooting v-max 110 grain bullets that I reload. At 300 yards I am hitting the one pound butane tanks that you use for small bbq cookers. I think midway has a big sale going on with nikon refurbished scopes including their new mil dot scope. Just my two cents...
Old January 12, 2006, 01:08 PM   #10
hIPSHOT33

I have had a Nikon Buckmaster on my 300 win . for the past two years and have not had a problem with it .
Old January 12, 2006, 01:17 PM   #11
SMITH910

There's a reason after MANY weeks of learning and deciding that I ended up with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 scope! Paid $279 for mine.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:08 PM   #12
Mike T

Great scope! I just got one for our Kimber .22. Clear glass, not too heavy and we paid $179.00 so that seems to be a good price.