The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 26, 2000, 12:09 AM   #1
Ransom

How does one go about obtaining a permit for full auto purchase and/or use? Is this this a state (I'm in California) or a Federal issue? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old March 26, 2000, 12:58 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The paperwork process involves the BATF, which takes the $200 tax and does the background check. Mugshot, fingerprints and most importantly, approval of a local LEO Boss--Police Chief or Sheriff. BATF has a website with all the pertinent info.

States can by law deny such ownership; or, unofficially, by merely creating a situation where no LEO will approve.

I don't know, but think it probable that California won't allow any new acquistions. Somebody else will have to give the correct answer.

Really, ya oughta move to a more civilized place.

, Art
Old March 26, 2000, 02:02 AM   #3
Victor Romen

Civilian ownership of full auto firearms is illegal in California, unless you are LE or military.

I live off and on in CA and I would go with Art's advice and move out if possible (I'm gearing up for a permanent move myself). It's already bad there for gun owners and it's only going to get worse.