The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 1, 2022, 06:44 AM   #1
jabomano

Which New Colt Python

This will be my first Python buy and I can't afford a vintage gun so I'm looking new. Is there a difference in quality in the Python's made in 2020, 2021 or 2022?Thanks.
Old August 1, 2022, 08:23 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

The 2023 CZ model.

Prices have been dropping. I got a 4 inch 2022 for 1100. I just saw the same for 1300. That is 200 off lowest. They are high.

Product life cycle. If you can wait, i bet we see them ride decline at 300 from a 686, but the current 1500? Get the Python that starts with year 686 plus. Get two.

There really is something to be said about the Walking Dead has limits. The price drops in last two months? Saturation at 1500.
Old August 1, 2022, 09:13 PM   #3
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
The 2023 CZ model.

Prices have been dropping. I got a 4 inch 2022 for 1100. I just saw the same for 1300. That is 200 off lowest. They are high.

Product life cycle. If you can wait, i bet we see them ride decline at 300 from a 686, but the current 1500? Get the Python that starts with year 686 plus. Get two..
Where?
Old August 2, 2022, 08:19 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

Gun.deals

A new place has it for 1299 since i last looked.

Mean to say, if a different place has it, prices are high.
Old August 2, 2022, 09:05 AM   #5
reddog81

Where'd you get yours? Lowest I see is $1400.
Old August 2, 2022, 12:32 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Don't want to run aground on saying where, but I'm currently seeing a brand new non blem 4" python on gun.deals for 1,299.

I got mine for 1,100 just a few weeks ago.

Three separate larger companies have sold the 4" new/non blemished for under 1,300.

The usual 1,500-1,600 is the new over priced.
Old August 2, 2022, 12:35 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

To OP, as an owner, I think all the talk of differences between years is just total nonsense.

I don't think a single change has been made.

For example, lots of people are saying CZ corrected the DA stacking. Nope.

Colt Forum has a very convincing thread that mechanically the Python can not have a "better" trigger then what you get.

Knowing that, all talk of difference between years comes to me as people talking folk lore without knowing it. I own a brand new 2022 from just a few months ago. Trigger stacks in DA and is very heavy in SA.

The new 2022 is suppose to not have that. So...I think people are just wrong about it.
Old August 2, 2022, 10:04 PM   #8
the45er

Vintage Colt Pythons

How much "premium" will collectors generally pay for vintage Pythons that are "new" in the box with (never shot and barely handled) all paperwork and literally not even a cylinder scratch on them over let's say a used 98% gun in box with zero paperwork? 10%? 20%? 30? More?
Old August 3, 2022, 05:32 AM   #9
CajunBass

I've got two of them. One is an early 2020 I guess...S/N is about 5500. The other from 2021 I guess...S/N about 205,000. If there is any difference in the quality I can't tell it. I'm not smart enough to tell you if the trigger "stacks" or not. I've never really figured out just what that means. I just pull the trigger and it shoots. The D/A on both seems very good to me. I'm sure I've used the S/A at some point, but the D/A is so good I just shoot them that way. The fit/finish on both is quite good. I even like the factory grips that come on them. They're not the prettiest grips I've ever seen, but they are the most comfortable I've ever used.

I don't think you buy a Python because you want "a 357." There are other choices, probably just as good really, that cost a lot less. I think most people buy a Python, just because they want a Python, and nothing else will scratch that itch.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 3, 2022, 08:30 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

Very easy to learn "staking."

Pull the double action slowly. Is the first few millimeters extremely light weight vs the final heavier wall break? That's the Python trigger stacking weight upwards on the pull. It's a mechanically induced weight difference that is not "positive." A revolver trigger job is to always to reduce weight and stacking. It is true, if you run a double action fast, nothing bad about the trigger can be felt.

Unlike the superior S&W 686 action that the Python runs against, the 686 is the same weight (less too) from start to wall.

The Colt forum gives the 686 the better single action. Totally agree. Hair like and lighter weight. But Colt forum generally say the Python has a better DA. I totally disagree. The wall is heavier than the 686 and the Python staking doesn't exist on the S&W. 686 totally consistent, Python the least consistent of the big revolvers.

But you see it from two owners, no difference exists between years.

One question, will people later care if you have a Colt Python (limited time period) or a CZ Python.

Methinks if the 2020 new Pythons ever increase in value (shouldn't now, they are in production), the 2020 Colt Python would be worth more.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 3, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old August 3, 2022, 01:15 PM   #11
603Country

I have an old Python and a new 686+. I had a gunsmith smooth out the 686 trigger, and it now equals the old Python in single action. In double action the 686 is lighter and quicker than the Python, but I can shoot the Python better in DA because of the stacking, it being similar somewhat to a 2 stage trigger. That may just be me however, since I’ve shot the Python for 40 years and the 686 for 3 or 4 years.

One thing for sure, that you might find interesting, is that for years if I only had one shot that had to count, I’d use the Python every time. Nowadays, with the 686 trigger smoothed out, I think I’d go with the 686.

I had a relative visiting a while back. He’s ex-Army and is now a cop. We had a one-shot challenge where you could pick the gun out of an assortment of pistols and revolvers. You get one shot at a splatter target at 15 yards. He chose the Python and I chose the 686, and he squeaked me by 1/4”. He preferred the Python, which was fine, but all the strutting around after the shoot-off wasn’t necessary. :-)
Old August 4, 2022, 08:39 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Ha. A great story for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Old August 5, 2022, 08:16 AM   #13
Brutus

I resemble 603country in that my most accurate revolver is my 40 year + Colt Python. Bought a new 6" and I really like it but it has nothing on my old black Betty. Before the new Pythons came out I bought a King Cobra and I really love this revolver the smaller frame and 4" barrel is the perfect size for weight and balance, trigger is just like the new Python so there's nothing not to like.
Old August 5, 2022, 04:48 PM   #14
44caliberkid

Still waiting for a New Python in blued steel.
Old December 23, 2022, 10:32 AM   #15
wild cat mccane

Old but I think I'm right that the Python, if you agree or not, has Walking Dead appeal.

Not much later from this thread and gun.deals has a 4" for $1,500 today.

It's entirely possible that the Python heads to below $1k. It would be quite the thing. Though the 686 is better in my mind, I bet the average buyer would always go for the Python if prices were to settle near equal.
Old December 23, 2022, 12:53 PM   #16
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Still waiting for a New Python in blued steel.
I would be too, if I was interested in getting one. I love 586’s, blued steel version of the 686.
Old December 23, 2022, 01:47 PM   #17
603Country

I think Wild Cat may be right. When the grandkids (all grown) bring their friends to the ranch to shoot, they’ll stand in line to shoot the Python, while others take their photo or video. Nobody has ever asked specifically to shoot the 686. It must be a Walking Dead thing. The oldest granddaughter has dibs on the Python when I’m at room temperature. The oldest Grandson isn’t pleased that he gets the 686.

I bought the 686 so that the Python can get a rest. Sure wouldn’t want it to need work.
Old December 23, 2022, 06:49 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

welcome to TFL

A couple of points to consider,

Colt DA revolver trigger pulls stack. All of them, always have. I'm told its a result of the design. The amount varies with individual guns ranging from barely noticeable to "this is horrid". You can learn to live with it, if you choose, many do, and do well.

Next point, the new Pythons are, literally Pythons in name only. Or, if you prefer, only Pythons on the outside. Inside they are different.

Local shop rarely carries new Pythons, they are expensive, and according to the owner, nobody is buying them. (nobody around here, anyway, it seems).

They got some when they first came out, but the guns weren't good. Of the first 10 they got, 6 of them had to be returned to the factory, one wouldn't even fire!

CZ should have fixed that kind of thing, by now, I can't speak to what they are making today from personal experience, sorry.

One last point, about when someone says "the trigger pull on X is better than on Y or X is more accurate than Y" always take that with a grain of salt.

ALL the guns in a production run are not as good or as bad as people claim.
Old December 24, 2022, 08:43 AM   #19
mikejonestkd

I had the opportunity to see a decent sampling of the new pythons when they first came out.
I saw poor machining/ leftover marks, poor crane to frame fit, and cylinders that wobbled in several of them. one of them would lock up in double action.
I sincerely hope they are better now.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; December 24, 2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old December 24, 2022, 10:37 AM   #20
Mr.RevolverGuy

My 2022 version is pristine https://youtu.be/p4YN_WUo770
Old January 22, 2023, 07:56 AM   #21
dogdoc

Old post but colt being owned by cz is no different than Smith and Wesson being owned by various holding companies over the years. If anything colt being owned by cz is a huge plus as they are an excellent gun company that will provide resources for colt to thrive and likely be better.