The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Loading .44Spl for a .44Mag.

I have a couple of recipes for .44Spl but the one I'll use most is as follows:

I've got 200gn plated bullets, I've for standard primers and relatively fast VV N320.

I have a serviceable charge of 7.2gn and I have settled on 1/3 turn crimp on the FCD as I seemed to get bullet creep with less. (Strangely I only need 1/4 turn for my mag loads with the same bullet... ). OAL is 36.8mm

However, I have fund that my Spl loads just aren't as accurate as my Mag loads: noticeably so.
My guess is perhaps the bullets are not getting stabilised at lower velocities or that the already-long Redhawk cylinder makes for a big jump to the forcing cone

Now that I've taken delivery of some speedloaders, I'm hoping to try the Redhawk out in some IPSC matches. Naturally, I'll be comfortably in the Major category, but I could still use my Spl recipe, remain in Major but without the slower times associated with stouter recoil.

So what would you look at next to try and improve the accuracy of the Spl loads as I have them? OAL? Crimp? There's not much else to play with anymore...
Old January 10, 2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Slamfire

Try shooting reduced loads in 44 Magnum cases. I loaded 8.5 grains Unique, 240 LSWC, in 44 Magnum cases and the accuracy was outstanding.

I am of the opinion it typically takes a grain more in the 44 Magnum than the 44 Spl. That same load in my 44 Spl would have been 7.5 grains Unique.

S&W M629-4 44 Mag Stainless, 5" Barrel

240 LSWC 8.5 grs Unique thrown, Midway Brass WLP
25-Nov-04 T = 58 °F

Ave Vel = 1023
Std Dev = 25
ES = 99
Low = 958
High = 1057
N = 30

44 Spl Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" barrel

240 LSWC Valiant 7.5 grs Unique thrown, lot UN364 3/9/92 Mixed cases, Brass WLP
T = 70 °F 4-Apr-09

Ave Vel = 1007
Std Dev = 19
ES = 59
High = 1038
Low= 979
N = 12

240 LSWC Valiant 7.5 grs Unique thrown, lot UN364 3/9/92 Midway cases, Brass WLP
T ≈ 60-65 ° F 19-Apr-09

Ave Vel = 1001
Std Dev = 17
ES = 64
High = 1027
Low= 963
N = 27
Old January 10, 2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I agree with Slamfire's suggestion. If your bullet has only one crimp groove, you will want to add the extra grain or so. If the bullet has separate 44 Special (lower) and 44 Mag (upper) crimp grooves and you use the intended one for each case, respectively, then the COL's will come out about the same and no powder charge adjustment will be required. However, one nice thing about the Redhawk is that its cylinder is long enough to allow you to use a 44 Special crimp groove with the magnum case and the finished cartridge, though 1.740" long and over the 1.610" maximum COL SAAMI and the CIP have for 44 Magnum, will still fit in this gun.

The shorter jump to the throat and greater bullet portion inside throat can help with bullet alignment and mitigate total gas bypass by the time the bullet is in the forcing cone of the revolver.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 10, 2016, 10:38 AM   #4
g.willikers

That's usually been my approach, too.
The longest cartridges that will fit the gun (and/or magazine) seem to be the best shootin' rounds.
Old January 10, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Real Gun

That "already-long Redhawk cylinder " if tight, will require a robust charge to push through a plated bullet, which can gall at least to the point of being slowed. The throats of my 45 Colt Redhawk have been reamed for lead. It was as if the gun was made for jacketed-only. I had the forcing cone recut at the same time. Try tapping a bullet through the thoats. It should really pass with just your fingers, assuming not out of round.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:28 AM   #6
ammo.crafter

44spcl

2X with out of round check.

I shoot 44spcl in my 44 mag Ruger SAA as well as Winch 94 for cowboy shoots and have no accuracy problems.

But, I do use cast lead 200gr SWC bullets (from Missouri Bullets).
Pick up a few cast lead bullets and see if that makes difference.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Try shooting reduced loads in 44 Magnum cases.
I'll have to try that.

There are some .44 Mag loads using N320, but I have not tried any yet. Something for a range trip, perhaps, except that it is so cold here that outdoor results are not very reliable, velocity-wise, and indoor my chrono doesn't work because of fluorescents.

Otherwise, anything to do with the .Spls that might improve things for this first match?

The alternative is to decide between middling accuracy but quicker follow-ups and sharper accuracy but slower follow-ups...

Quote:
If your bullet has only one crimp groove,
These plated bullets have no groove, the crimp bites into the bullet to form its own.
Old January 10, 2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Real Gun

It might not be a very fair comparison of accuracy, if velocities are much higher in the Mag load, wherein the bullet is relatively light for caliber. For Special, I would pick a powder more toward the medium burners, where the champ, Unique resides. This newer BE-86 should be a candidate. N331 looks like the closest in burn rate among the Vihtavuori series.

Last edited by Real Gun; January 10, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old January 10, 2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Pond, James Pond

I had some N350 and that made quite nice Spls, but that has run out and ideally I'd like to stick with the N320 as it doubles as my .38Spl powder in my snub.

That way, I can cover 2 calibres, not run too close to the storage limits for powder and save money by not having to buy a rather expensive tub of powder! I don't shoot masses of either so a second powder would sit around for a fair while!

Of course, if this first match is as much fun as I hope, then that might change!
Old January 10, 2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know without trying it, but I got terrific accuracy from plain old swaged Hornady 240 grain SWC's and Bullseye (close to N320) in .44 Special. Just 3.9 grains. Obviously a short range-only load, but my fixed sight 3" Charter Bulldog would print all five 1.5" c-t-c at 25 yards with it.

My Redhawk is very accurate with jacketed bullets (American Eagle 240 grain HP's print five of the chambers with touching holes at 50 yards (off bags with scope sight), while the sixth chamber drops an inch and a half low and right every time). It's too tight for some lead bullets, but because of the jacketed bullet performance I've declined to have it altered. I bought another gun for that.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I bought another gun for that.
Buying another gun because one likes a particular load: the stuff of dreams over here!
Old January 10, 2016, 02:47 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Well, actually I bought another gun to optimize for .44 Cal lead bullet shooting in general. I wouldn't dream of limiting it to just one load.