The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Kevinj

Huge OOPS with blank cases

I have been hand loading for 45 years and had my first huge OOPS! I finally gathered up enough supplies for an afternoon of loading on my Dillon 550. I was loading 45lc with a modest 8.5 Unique under a 250 gr RNFP. I got well into the 3rd bag of brass when I notice I had loaded about 250 rounds using Top Brass blank cases (meant for fast draw wax loads with very large flash holes). With the kinetic bullet puller it will take me days to recover the components. My hornady bullet puller is not meant for cast bullets Even if I had the correct collect)- ANY IDEAS?
Old October 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
arizona98tj

At least you discovered the issue before it became a real time problem. Sorry to hear about it. Time to start pulling bullets.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
With the kinetic bullet puller it will take me days to recover the components. My hornady bullet puller is not meant for cast bullets Even if I had the correct collect)- ANY IDEAS?
How much larger are the flash holes? I load and shoot a lot of NT brass which has much larger flash holes and never notice any difference.

With the heavy large diameter bullet, those will pull really quickly. A couple of hits and the bullets will be out for recovery. Small diameter light bullets with strong neck tension are the toughest to pull with inertia.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
snolden

Start pulling 10-20 every night. I have had to pull 160 once. Sucks but you caught it
Old October 28, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
andyjr11

I do not see the large flash hole being a problem. The only problem I see is if the cases were made for blank use only. They could be to thin to take a full pressure load.

Even at that, it would only cause hard extraction.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Paul B.

If you can contact the company that made that brass, ask them if there would be any consequences from shooting the loads already made up.

Paul B.
Old October 29, 2013, 04:58 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
I do not see the large flash hole being a problem. The only problem I see is if the cases were made for blank use only. They could be to thin to take a full pressure load.

Even at that, it would only cause hard extraction.
andyjr11, A test for you: Prime a case, but do not put any powder or bullet in it. Shoot the primed case in your revolver. Now try to rotate or open the cylinder. You will find that the primer has backed out of the case and locked-up your cylinder. If you fire cases with "way" over size flash holes, the same thing can happen...only tighter.
It depends on how "very large" those flash holes actually are.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:19 AM   #8
mehavey

My 2₵....

1. The strength of the case/cylinder combination is in the cylinder. The gas seal is in the case.

2. The primer initially backs out of the case anyway (whatever the flashhole design), and is
re-seated when the main powder charge ignites/build pressure to slam the case back
into the recoil shield.

Just my thought (your mileage may vary of course) that you don't have a significant
problem w/ that 14,000CUP load

Others.... weigh in with better experience.

Last edited by mehavey; October 29, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Kevinj

The flash holes are almost as big as the primer face itself. Other that that the cases are dimensionally equal to starline brass and are designed for up to 4 or 5 grains of black powder (for show). I thought about firing 1 in my ruger but primer set back and gas cutting in the primer pocket would be the biggest concern. It is a load I use so I can run it in any 45lc pistol I pick up - a little warm for a colt and a whimp load for a ruger. I may try one. If there are adverse effects I will start pulling. The cases are NOT cheap and are hard to come by.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
With the heavy large diameter bullet, those will pull really quickly. A couple of hits and the bullets will be out for recovery.
That's true jepp2. But even at that, that's a lot of bullets to kinetically pull. A kinetic puller is a "onesy-twosy" thing.

(I don't know enough about 45 Colt to comment on the remainder of the ideas.)
Old October 29, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Kevinj

Well, I pulled 'em all! took an hour and a half once I got the rhythm going. Now so it don;t happen again I will be listing the Top Brass b;ank cases on Gun broker. 350+ never fired blank cases.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Well, I pulled 'em all!
With a kinetic? Heh, that's awesome.
Old October 29, 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
jepp2

Quote:
A kinetic puller is a "onesy-twosy" thing.
And yesterday I pulled down over 250 rounds of 30-06 to recover the components. 60 of them were mil tar sealed. But in the future I will limit my use to once or twice daily.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

I stand corrected
Old October 30, 2013, 01:57 PM   #15
rodfac

KevinJ, you get the attaboy award for today...you did the right thing, padnuh and kudos to you. I once pulled 100 after I suspected I'd set the measure incorrectly...I weighed each charge up to #25 checking to see if I'd screwed up...but found none that were suspect...I sat back, looked at the rest, and told myself, I'd never trust them, nor allow any of my family to shoot them....pulled 'em all and was glad I did. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 30, 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Kevinj

I know from experience with magnum rifle rounds that enlarged flash holes can cause an unsafe increase in pressures. Even thought this was a medium load in a low pressure cartridge I just did not feel safe firing even one to test it. Some time spent getting to know my bullet puller was better than spending time getting to know a surgeon and buying a new gun. I appreciate the affirmation rodfac!