The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
certified106

Finally Scored A XDS!!!

So after looking for one of these babies for upwards of 6 months I landed one last night!!!!! I almost couldn't sleep I was so excited! I'm hoping to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow and run a hundred or so rounds through it. I have spent the last hour cleaning it and playing around with it and I have to say I love the way this gun feels in my hand!

After I brought it home the wifey started playing with it and after about 30 minutes of her handling and playing with it she started with the I really like how this feels maybe it should be mine conversation....... I shut that down real quick but we will see what happens, LOL! I might end up with two of these things in my house hold. Here are a few photos of the gun and what it came with. Eventually I will take side by side pictures with my CM9 but I gotta tell you the XDS feels bigger in my hands however there is hardly any size difference between it and my CM9.

Old February 23, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
balyon85

Re: Finally Scored A XDS!!!

I love mine, get yourself a proper holster before you start cc it. I still want to find a iwb and I bet this thing will be concealable in just a t-shirt.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:33 PM   #3
certified106

Finally Scored A XDS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balyon85 View Post
I love mine, get yourself a proper holster before you start cc it. I still want to find a iwb and I bet this thing will be concealable in just a t-shirt.
Yeah I hear you on the holster...... It's fine for a range day but that's about it. I already have a crossbreed mini tuck on order. Do you have any other recommendations? I know I saw a nice IWB kydex holster somewhere but I can't remember where. Once I get the holster and a couple hundred rounds through it is am sure I will carry it a lot!
Old February 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
balyon85

I was looking at crossbreed to. Right now I use a leather holster for my xd-9 that I adjusted to hold the xds in. Works pretty well, but want an iwb sooner than later.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
bamiller

I really like mine as well and it now my daily carry. I use the holster that it came with as I always have either an untucked shirt or a blazer on.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
sserdlihc

What did you "score" it for??
Old February 23, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Lemmon

Congratulations, I only have had mine for about a week and really like it. I probably paid more that I should have but at least now I have it and love it. I fired it a number of times and was really was impressed with the trigger. Nice trigger. I found that my G27 Galco front pocket cowhide holster works great. I am a big guy and it fits in my front right pocket nicely. Essentially the same size as my G27. Need to get back to loading some more 45acp. Will be using lead 200 and 230 grain bullets. Hope you enjoy yours.

Speaking about wives..... I brought home a nice 380 one time and showed it to my wife. She told me that she wanted it...... She finally gave it back to me when I got her a 38 J-frame.....

Lemmon from Rural SC....
Old February 23, 2013, 10:16 PM   #8
jbrown27

I have had my xds for about 2 months now and it has been great. I have about 600 rounds through it and have not had a single issue with mine. I switched out the red fiber optic for the green and love it. One thing I recommend is getting a talon grip for it and a pearce extension for one mag for range time. The aggressive grip can start to ware on you after extended shooting and the talon grip really helps with that without adding any thickness to the grip. I also ordered the talon grip for the grip extension and cutomized it to the pearce extension and all is good. Good luck with yours hope you have as much luck with yours as I have. Its a great pistol.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old February 23, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9
HKFan9

I love mine... for the time being I am using a super thin leather Galco holster that was made for the Glock 26 but it fits the XDS pretty well.

However I concealed it with the free holster that comes with it.... it really wasn't all that bad for a cheap paddle holster. Then again I am used to carrying a 4'' 1911 however.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Nakanokalronin

I've had mine for awhile and feel it's the best of what I like in a carry gun. Mine rides in a Winthrop all leather IWB holster and find it more comfortable than multiple brands of the kydex/leather hybrid holsters I've tried in the past.

http://www.winthropholsterstore.com/...B-Black/Detail

Old February 24, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
certified106

OK so I got to the range today to put some lead through this bad boy. However on my way to the range I stopped by the gun store with my wife to buy some .45 ammo and I will be darned if I didn't walk out of the gun store with a new gun (Glock 23)! It was totally my wife's fault this time though since it was one she has been wanting! I will post some pics of it later on tonight....lol

OK getting back on track now I put 200 rounds through the XDS and I have to say I love it!!!! The first 30 rounds or so were a bit frustrating as I was grouping my shots but they weren't quite where I wanted them. Once I settled down and adjusted my grip just a bit I was drilling the center of the target at 30 foot. The next hundred rounds went great and I got to the point I was shooting 5 rounds in rapid succession. My wife and my buddy were shooting it also and both of them loved it. My wife was surprised with the fact it kicked less than she thought it would. I said yeah it is like it pushing you instead of being snappy on the front end...... she said she agreed but would describe it more as punching you lol..... she did fine with it considering it is the first. 45 we have ever owned. Overall it lived up to my expectations and I am thrilled with it. Now I am waiting on my holster so I can start carrying it!

Thanks for the heads up on the holster! I will look into that one as it looks pretty nice. I wouldn't really mind have one or two different holster options as I will be carrying this gun ALOT!
Old February 24, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Nakanokalronin

Sounds like a good range day and another XDS satisfied customer. It really does kick a lot less than most people think it does.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #13
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
I've had mine for awhile and feel it's the best of what I like in a carry gun. Mine rides in a Winthrop all leather IWB holster and find it more comfortable than multiple brands of the kydex/leather hybrid holsters I've tried in the past.

http://www.winthropholsterstore.com/...B-Black/Detail

Thats a good looking holster.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:49 AM   #14
Nakanokalronin

It's equally as comfortable. I'd highly recommend it.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:50 AM   #15
Theohazard

Most single-stack sub-compact handguns have long triggers and equally long resets. The XDS has a shorter Glock/XDM style trigger with a more positive reset than either (for those of us who like to ride the reset when shooting).

In my opinion there are only three guns in the category of sub-compact, single-stack handguns with good triggers and low felt recoil: the Shield, the PPS, and the XDS.

I haven't actually had the chance to shoot an XDS, but every time I talk to someone who has they mention how surprisingly low the recoil is.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #16
HKFan9

I owed a PPS it was nice.. but I opted for the XDS.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:12 PM   #17
lawnranger05

Does anyone know when they'll be coming out with the XD-S in 9mm? I've heard rumors. I carry a service model XD but want a pocket gun that feels, functions the same way.Thinking about kahr cw9 but will wait if the XD-s will come out in 9
Old February 27, 2013, 11:22 PM   #18
HKFan9

Rumor has it pretty soon. Springfield hasn't told us when we should expect a few however. Honestly if you get a chance try the .45 out. I was surprised at how soft it shot for a pocket size poly .45. I am a big fan of the 9mm round don't get me wrong, but with such a limited capacity pocket gun I feel better with a larger round.

It really didn't have much more recoil than the Kahr PM-9 I used to own.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:18 PM   #19
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
It's equally as comfortable. I'd highly recommend it.
Like everything else with guns, its out of stock.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #20
allaroundhunter

Quote:
In my opinion there are only three guns in the category of sub-compact, single-stack handguns with good triggers and low felt recoil: the Shield, the PPS, and the XDS.
And the Sig P238 and P938
Old March 2, 2013, 06:07 PM   #21
certified106

Finally Scored A XDS!!!

Put another 150 rounds of PMC through the gun today and it ran like a champ! dang it I wish crossbreed would hurry up with my holster as I really am itching to put this sucker into my carry rotation. Does anyone here have a PJ holster for their XDS and if so how do you like it?
Old March 2, 2013, 07:20 PM   #22
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Put another 150 rounds of PMC through the gun today and it ran like a champ! dang it I wish crossbreed would hurry up with my holster as I really am itching to put this sucker into my carry rotation. Does anyone here have a PJ holster for their XDS and if so how do you like it?
What crossbreed you get? I'd love their mini tuck.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:23 PM   #23
certified106

Finally Scored A XDS!!!

Quote:
What crossbreed you get? I'd love their mini tuck.
I ordered the Mini Tuck in black cowhide
Old March 2, 2013, 07:26 PM   #24
balyon85

Nice let us know here how you like it when you get it, and show her off some too.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
certified106

Finally Scored A XDS!!!

Quote:
Nice let us know here how you like it when you get it, and show her off some too.
Definitely, although it may be a few weeks before it gets here......
They were quoting 4-6 weeks to fill the order