The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2013, 10:00 PM   #26
deerslayer303

^^^ I'm working on making you a patch Beagle
Old January 17, 2013, 10:05 PM   #27
Beagle333

Old January 24, 2013, 05:20 PM   #28
BirchOrr

Simple loading stand

Built this several years ago out of scrap oak I had laying around for my Uberti/Colt/Walker.

Loading stand.jpg

Works very well! (note the felt for the barrel & grip and the hammer notch to keep it stable).

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old January 29, 2013, 12:35 PM   #29
maillemaker

Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

I just spend $35 on a cylinder loader from S&S Firearms. It's junk.

Any of these loaders that swing the ram on an arc will not seat bullets squarely into the cylinder. There is no provision for adjusting the position of the cylinder, either, so my ram doesn't even start off square.

I'm liking the Black Dawge loader mentioned above. It has adjustments for the cylinder position and the ram moves on a straight line.

Steve
Old January 29, 2013, 01:44 PM   #30
Logan5579

I'm liking the Black Dawge loader mentioned above. It has adjustments for the cylinde

I've got one on order, should show up soon. I'll post my results after I get to try it out.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Logan5579

My loader showed up thursday and I didn't get to give it a try til yesterday...it's been snowing and raining and cold here, but I finally caught enough of a break to get out in the yard for a few minutes and fire a few shots (18 shots was all I took the time to shoot, I hate the cold). I bought this from ebay, the sellers name is deanflip7,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BL...item27cf3ae003
hope this link works...

I think that this is the same guy from powder inc. (black dawge) at this link:

http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/c...yl_loader.html

But I really like the loader, it's built tougher than the ones I found at cabela's and it doesn't load in an arc like some people have complained about. The ram is built to press straight down so it should load a conical straight in...I haven't tried them yet because I shot all mine up and haven't gotten to cast any new ones yet.

I mounted the loader on a piece of 3/4in ply that I sanded, routered the edges to a round over, and wiped down with mineral oil.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and I went out and shot a few round balls...the flyers are my fault, jerked the trigger, in too much of a hurry because it was getting dark on me
[IMG][/IMG]

So far no problems and I like being able to load off the gun, at first pass it seems to be quicker than using the built in ram because I can set six balls in place and ram them down one right after the other.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #32
TomADC

Looking good I like the bowling pin, I tried the real ones years ago visiting my brother in law, my hi power would knock them over but not off the table they would just spin! The old 1911 cured that, be fun to try with a C&B 44.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:44 PM   #33
deerslayer303

Nice, I got the TOP loader from Straight shooter. I'm about to die to try it out. I gotta get my but in gear and cast some round ball.