The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 6, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Whiskey18

Building a .308/AR-10

Hey all,

I was starting to look into building a .308/AR-10....I started doing some basic research on parts and what not and very quickly became overhwelmed. Any advice on uppers, lowers, triggers, where to start looking, finding out which upper is compatible with which lower etc. I am brand new to this but it has been something I've wanted to do for quite some time, so any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old December 6, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
CowTowner

I have always stuck with a single supplier and verified with them that everything I want will work together.
That said, I use: http://www.model1sales.com/

But it's a Texas thing for me. I support local businesses whenever possible.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 6, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3
wyop

In the .308 AR product space, you have to choose which horse to ride, and then ride it.

The two choices you have are:

1. Armalite's AR-10. You need to buy uppers and parts kits that are compatible with the AR-10 lower receiver. There's very few suppliers of parts besides Armalite for AR-10 lowers/uppers.

2. DPMS LR-308. There's lots more suppliers of lowers/uppers that are compatible with the LR-308 dimensions.

So start by making that choice, tell us, then we can go from there.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Whiskey18

I haven't really been able to find pros and cons for the Armalite or the DPMS, just user preference. What are your thoughts on either of these.....other than the compatability of course.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
wyop

I really don't have a basis for comparison, since I'm building two rifles based LR-308 compatible lowers and I haven't done anything with an AR-10 at all.

The research I did and the people I trust who have been down both roads made me come away thinking that there are more options for the LR-308 - there are more outfits making components, there are more magazine options, the prices are a bit lower on the parts, etc. Since I'm capable of turning my own barrels and doing all the machining, getting into comparisons of the finished rifles doesn't sway me as much as component availability, magazine compatibility with my intended chambering, etc.

There are people who complain about DPMS quality, or that they don't like that DPMS uses 6061 aluminum on their receivers while the AR-10 is made from 7075. OK, so if someone really has their panties in a wad about this point, they can get a LR-308 pattern lower made by an outfit like Tactical Machining that is 7075. The truth is, most people can't tell you the difference between 6061 and 7075 any more than they can tell you the difference between forged vs. cast vs. "billet" as the starting point for a receiver. Far too many people spout these specs without understanding the requirements or material science/engineering.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance in this matter, that's just the way this market segment is just now...
Old December 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Whiskey18

Makes sense, now here is another question for you, I was looking at the DPMS website and seeing as how I'm leaning more towards just buying one (possibly the oracle) and adding to it.....is there a difference between the models/receivers besides cosmetics and barrel length? I know i will probably go with an 18" or 20" barrel.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:18 AM   #7
wyop

Can't say. Haven't held them in my hands, side-by-side.