The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 22, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Sasquatch

If you were out hunting and came upon sasquatch.....would you shoot him?

or........

Just play a joke on him?

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...3Bs+Commercial
Old February 22, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Panfisher

Heck no!! With my family history it might just be a relative coming to visit.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
PawPaw

I didn't shoot at him the last time I saw him, but it was almost dark, I couldn't be sure just exactly what I was looking at, and all the hairs were standing on the back of my neck. Plus, he was about 50 yards away and I had my Model 66 stoked with 158 grain hollowpoints.

Huge moral and ethical questions to be resolved on shooting an animal that may or may not exist. Am I shooting at an unknown species or some idiot wandering the woods in a gorilla suit? If I do shoot an unknown species, am I shooting a dominant breeding individual and might threaten the survival of the group? Are his buddies around? Might I have to defend myself on my way to the pickup truck?

On the other hand, is any rational scientist going to believe they exist without someone dragging out a big furry corpse? Some states have laws against harassing or shooting a sasquatch, so the hunter might be in violation of one or more statutes.

I don't believe I'd shoot one unless I were defending myself. The same basic premise applies as if I had to defend myself against a marauding bear, cougar, or human. But then, that's just me. Your mileage might vary.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 22, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4
ihctractor

No!
I only shoot paper, things that attack me and things I can eat.
As elusive as big foot has been I doubt he would attack me and judging by his living conditions he would probably taste like crap!
Old February 22, 2012, 06:50 PM   #5
nate45

I'd probably try and spritz him down with lysol, or febreeze if he got too close.
Old February 22, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
rickyrick

I wouldn't shoot one because they seem to be peaceful due to the lack of wide spread attacks. I would make attempts to negotiate with it, convincing it to enter human society and get a job,....I'm thinking entertainment industry would be a good niche........and tax him!
Old February 22, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
YARDDOG(1)

I would offer it some jreky, Get him to come hom with me and call him Harry ; )
Y/D
Old February 22, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
landlord

maybe its all the jerky that makes him smell? he doent appear to take a joke well? and if a late 70s ford wagon cant stop him? I say leave beano in the woods, wave nicely, then pee self and run away. Just my thought.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Indi

I wouldn't shoot at him. He might be a better aim than me, then he can claim self defense!!! I would shoot chupacabra, I don't think he carries a gun.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Single Six

I'm guessing this is all in fun, so...... Only if it came at me in an aggressive manner. Given it's reputed size, I'm betting a well-placed 12 gauge slug would do the job....and I'd have my .44 Redhawk along for backup.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Logan9885

Shoot him heck no.....catch him and sell him to the jack links people, bet they would pay the big bucks for a real'en!!!
Old February 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

Here in Bigfoot country, the state of Washington, it is a felony to shoot a Sasquatch, Bigfoot, or other such unknown Hominids. We like them here, they are gentle forest creatures and harm no one.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Can't shoot what doesn't exist. This ain't 30,000 feet in the Himalayas where who knows what's out there.

100s of millions of cars, none ever get hit. Even people get hit by cars. EVERY animal gets hit. No Sasquatch.

10s of thousands of game cameras in every state, in every set of woods in America. No convincing pictures.

10s of millions of hunters in the woods year after year after year and no one ever shoots one. Ever. In 550 years or so on this continent and thousands of years on every other continent on which they have been reported. No one has ever killed one.

Thousands of hunters using dogs to chase animals in many states, several of which states have reported Sasquatch sightings, no dogs have ever caught or cornered one.

In recent decades, tons of media attention, both professional and amateur, trying to go out and find/film the creatures. No convincing evidence. No DNA. No bodies. No pictures. Nothing.

They don't exist.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:56 PM   #14
deerslayer303

Shoot him?? umm no I would probably deposit something in my camo and just look at it dumb founded until he walked away!!
Old February 22, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
johnmcgowan

Lets see Jerry, thats a tough question,.......ok, Ive had enough time to think about it.....
I guess after my check underwear light quit flashing, I would bust a cap in him quicker than Oprah Winfrey makes her way from one end to the other end of the all you can eat buffet bar at the Western Sizzler filling up her plate!
Then, make a huge $ deal with the Science Channel,History Channel,MythBusters,Ripley's Believe It or Not, Barnum-Bailey Circus and the local museum as well as the Seven-Eleven kwik mart to put him on temporary display after he got through making all his tv appearances. Have your picture made with BigFoot!! Legend of all time !
Step right up ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages,...come in and see the 8th wonder of the modern world...Sasquatch!
Please pay the nice lady at the ticket booth to view him. Step right up!!!!
Old February 22, 2012, 11:11 PM   #16
1hogfan83

Panfish you must be from southern "Missoura" like my wife, although I have seen some running around in st. louis. When they have a family reunion we try to get them to take a family portrait but they wanna keep the mystery alive!!!

Just for safe measure though, when hunting I do carry a tranquilizer(sp) set to stun. Either that or bean bag slugs.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee

Last edited by 1hogfan83; February 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:17 AM   #17
doofus47

"Just smile and wave, boys! Smile and wave..."
Old February 23, 2012, 02:18 PM   #18
BIG P

Depends male or female might be my exwife maybe even better might be someone elses X Just dreaming. LOL
Old February 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #19
KBP75

Sasquatch

I dated a female Sasquatch when I was younger. My fraternity brothers could not believe it! I got really shocked when she picked me up and threw me over her shoulder! I was 6' 1" and 190lbs. Don't mess with Mr, Mrs or even Miss Sasquatch! I can tell you for sure. HA HA!
Old February 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #20
BigMikey76

Gotta give him a pass... us big hairy guys gotta stick together.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:18 PM   #21
Tuzo

While camping in Washington and New Jersey I shared campfires with Sasquatch. Turned out to be my animal of a brother. Tall, fuzzy, and gentle but with ferocious underpinnings. Didn't shoot him. We shared beanie weenies and plinked with a Marlin 81.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:58 PM   #22
freenokia

Be sure of your TARGET and what's beyond...

But then again, the corpse alone would probably be worth millions...

Depends on what my bank balance was that week
Old February 24, 2012, 01:43 AM   #23
farmerboy

Let's educate him and then hopefully he'll run for president.

Last edited by Art Eatman; February 24, 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Removed some of the polly ticks...
Old February 24, 2012, 06:58 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

And on that note, Sasquatch once again disappears into the forest primeval.
Closed Thread