The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
.22jacks

New here, and new to reloading.

Does anyone have experience reloading Wolf brass (.308)? I'll be reloading with Lee collet neck sizing dies for one rifle only. Does that make sense? What do you say? I also have some Black Hills brass that I think will be good.

Just curious.

Target only.

Thanks.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I did not know that Wolf loaded anything in brass. I would test it with a magnet first. If a magnet sticks to the case then throw it away. If it is brass I would try to see if it is boxer primed. If it is Breaden primed you will probably end up breaking your decapping pin.

Black Hills brass is reloadable, and boxer primed.

Welcom to relading by the way. If you do not have one I and a world others here would highly recomend you getting at least one reloading manual. Lyman is a good one for all reloaders. It has a good section on the basics of reloading for the beginner. There are several others that are great as well. (I listed Lyman due to the fact that it was my first manual.)
Old November 22, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
federali

Welcome

Reloading can be very enjoyable when things go right and you'll be minus all your head hair when things go wrong. It's always preferable to sit down with an experienced reloader to help you. One thing a beginner is likely to overlook is to fail to lube the inside of the case mouth before running it into the sizing die, then also check the case length before continuing. I have loaded 20 round lots of rifle ammo that would not chamber because I failed to trim the cases as needed.

A technique I discovered which reduces wear on the brass, the equipment and the reloader is to first tumble the brass. Thoroughly cleaned, it enters the dies so much easier. I now use Midway waterbased sizing lube which eliminates having to de-grease the casings. Soap and water clean-up but the shells must be thoroughly dry before continuing. I plan to experiment with vegetable-based cooking spray as I think it would work just as well. I had an old friend that used to re-size with Spry cooking grease.

Last edited by federali; November 22, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4
.22jacks

It's brass, but I get it!

I've got no problem pitching the Wolf in the trash.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I will embrace a reloading manual no doubt, and I won't hesitate to ask more questions.

Cheers 45!
Old November 22, 2011, 05:57 PM   #5
.22jacks

Techniques

Thanks Federali, I appreciate the advice.
Old November 22, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
.22jacks

Wolf Gold = Boxer primed

It's Wolf Gold, for what it's worth; they say it's reloadable (boxer primed). I'll probably give it a go.

Last edited by .22jacks; November 22, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:26 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

If it is boxer primed it is reloadable. Use a small primer pocket cleaner to see if it the primer pocket is crimped. If it goes in and turns to clean the priemr pocket it is not crimped. If not it is still reloadable you will just need a Primer pocket reamer, that takes a couple of twist in the primer pocket to work.