The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 21, 2010, 04:51 PM   #26
badge851

My first duty gun was a S&W® Mdl 10 38 Special; & I carried Winchester 158gr LSWCHP. I graduated to a S&W® Mdl 19 357 Magnum a few years later. I used Federal® Premium™ 158gr LSWCHP+P in this gun. I then moved up to a S&W® No Dash mdl 686
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:55 PM   #27
Hog Buster

In New Orleans is the late 50s and early 60s most of us carried either a S&W model 10 or 15. We had to purchase our own guns. The gun had to be blue steel with at least a 4 inch barrel. They were a few Colts around but mostly carried by the old timers who had been issued them by the department years earlier, when they still did that. I carried a S&W Model 15.

The S&W had a had a shorter hammer stroke than the Colt when using double action. In theory this made the S&W a bit quicker firing than the Colt, hence the reason for more of us carrying S&W.

You could purchase a 357 revolver but but only load it with .38 Special when on duty. This was to prevent you shooting thru someone's house in a gunfight and killing an innocent. That’s what they claimed anyway. Off duty you were supposed to carry also, but there was no limitations on what it was.

By the way we had to purchase our duty bullets too, only got free ones at the range when you qualified and these were some crappy reloads.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:59 PM   #28
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keenan
BillCA is right about small towns, but the diversity was greater than he indicates. I grew up in an area in PA that had dozens of small towns, and each usually had only one or two cops. The assortment of guns would have made a collector ecstatic.
The diversity in smaller towns with less than about 20 officers was always interesting. I didn't go into much detail because I didn't want to write another War & Peace novel (to which Mike Irwin is asking when has that ever stopped him?).

I started on the Trooper Mk III which was a sweet shooter. Then I found I could shoot S&W's much better. A new "big city" chief came in, in his early 60's and we figured he'd standardize everything. Just the opposite. "If it works for us, we don't change it." The one thing he did change was to allow us to carry any 4-6" DA revolver .38 caliber or larger that we could qualify with.

One of the officers qualified with a customized S&W 4-inch .44 Special (M24). Another used a 6.5" Model 25 .45 ACP. So I just had to go out and spend a whopping $113 for one of these.

S&W Model 58, The .41 Magnum M&P

The next thing I know, I'm the lone traffic cop. The other 4 guys stuck with either .38's or .357's (one bought my Trooper Mk III).

Across the delta region, nearer to Stockton with it's "big city" crime, one of the town's two cops carried a Colt SAA in .44-40 and was a crack shot with it. His boss carried a .32 Colt Police Positive (.32 New Police). With a 2 man force, if you encountered a desperado who shot back and fled, you didn't pursue terribly hard. Just report it county-wide and a larger agency or CHP would find him.

I was dragged to my first steel target shoot in Stockton around '74. Most were using .38's with ammo that we'd call +P today. My first shot didn't drop the target even though we heard the *blang!* of the steel. I aimed higher, the target waited a second and fell over. The RM stopped me after the 2nd target dropped with some real authority. Seems my hard cast LSWC reloads were punching right through the mild steel targets unless I hit high. Oops.

Being in a delta/boating community meant lots of silly summer gunplay by drunken sailors in the delta waters. We'd call the USCG for them unless they came ashore in our burg. When it was on land (mostly shooting out across the water), we'd show up, ask them if they were "shootin' safely", chat guns a bit and if they were intoxicated collect the guns, cite them and tell them to pick up the guns tomorrow. We had almost no trouble with them. If we did, Clint Smith's statement that nothing changes a man's mind like a big bore muzzle pointed a his forehead turned out to be true.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:12 AM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

My dad owns a S&W Model 64 (full-sized, stainless steel, heavy 4" barrel .38spl revolver with fixed sights) that he bought used in the 1980's. It has a stamp on the butt identifying the issuing PD that used it before he bought it.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:32 AM   #30
bamaranger

My experience

The NPs issued me a S&W M15 w/ 110gr +P+ ammo in 1983. I changed parks in '84 and was issued a M10 heavy bbl, same ammo. Changed again in '85 and drew a second HB M10, same ammo. Transfer #4 netted me a M66, again +P+ 110 ammo, 1986.

In 1988 I landed at my current duty post and was issued a M686 Lframe. By this time there had been some duty shootings w/ the +p+ 110 and results were not entirely favorable. There was a rapid move to .357 mag, 125 JHP and the L-frames were entirely suited for same. Many of the old M19 and M66 revolvers that had been around a while, did not last long under quals and training w/ mag ammo. Pachmayer and Hogue grips became instantly popular.

The Park Service began the switch to auto's in the early 90's, when auto's were pretty common w/ the rest of LE. I figured we'd go to auto's about time the rest of the world went to laser's, but I was wrong!!!!!
Old May 22, 2010, 10:14 AM   #31
unit 900

Baltimore PD issued some Colt OP's in the 50's and early 60's. After that, it was strictly S&W model 10 in 4" HB. As the 64 became available, they were issued as well. I carried a M10 until I made sergeant, then the armorer (also a Sgt.) tuned up a M64 for me. Original ammo was the 158 gr LRN. Moved to 158 SWC and finally to the 158 SWCHP +P. Glocks arrived in early 80's. My old 64 below. Detectives were issued the Colt DS, then the S&W M10 in 2", followed by the M64. Detective Special shown below M64.

Old May 22, 2010, 10:26 AM   #32
KMO

From the 80's

As the post above states, the S & W 19 or 686 were pretty typical for LE carry in the 80's, but the Ruger Speed Six was also popular. All three are .357's, but no one I knew would use .357 rounds in the S & W's, as they were not quite built for a steady diet of these.
Old May 22, 2010, 01:20 PM   #33
Sodbuster

My dad carried a 6" Python as his duty weapon. His backups were a Charter Arms snubby and a 4" Llama, both in .38 Spl. Go figure. He was a sheriff and small town police chief in Nebraska; a firm believer in RKBA. Only drew his weapon twice in his career, never fired it.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old May 22, 2010, 01:56 PM   #34
ISP 5353

S&W model 66 loaded with 125gr JHP.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:33 PM   #35
Sulaco2

Hit the street in 1978 and was issued a Colt Trooper III in .357, issued carry was .357 Remington and we used .38 SWC to practice and qual. Carried that boat anchor untill mid 80's when we went to 9mm semi autos. I was near the first in my dept to carry a Smith 469. They would not let me buy the Colt from the dept when they called them in and they burned it. Also when we started we had drop pouches and were inspected to make sure we did not have a speed loader on us, (kept them in the cars and brief cases). Sheriff was afraid of public reaction if they saw us carrying speed loaders
Old May 23, 2010, 07:33 PM   #36
breed

what is a mod.681?
Old May 23, 2010, 08:06 PM   #37
Webleymkv

Quote:
what is a mod.681?
The 681 is identical to the 686 except is has fixed rather than adjustable sights. The 681 never seemed to be as popular as the 686 and has since been discontinued. The 581 was identical to the 681 except it was blue or nickel carbon steel rather than stainless.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg107-e.htm
Old May 23, 2010, 09:20 PM   #38
breed

thanks...i found my dads today. just were he put it about 8 years ago. still loaded. the grips fill huge on it.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:41 PM   #39
ClydeFrog

US law enforcement DA revolvers..

I'd say BillCA covered the topic well.
For the most part most US police-law enforcement issued the S&W model 10 .38spl. I'd say the only real issued DA revolvers for many years other than the model 10 were the S&W model 19/66 or the 686.
My county's large(1200 sworn members) sheriff's office used the S&W L frame 686 4" barrel for a long time before switching to the Beretta 92F/FS 9mm. I can't recall ever seeing a uniformed sheriff deputy now with a 686 .357magnum but I do see a small # of older/senior deputies carry the 92FS.

I really liked my NYPD surplus Ruger GPNY. I got a few big scratch marks on it that were hard to fully remove. Ruger made GP100s and SP101 revolvers for the NYPD. Many used .38spl DA only sidearms are on the US market.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:23 PM   #40
JKump

I started in L.E. back in 1991. We were issued Smith Model 10s. However, I was allowed to carry my personal revolver, a Ruger GP 100 357 mag stainless, with a 4" barrel. Would still carry it today.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old May 24, 2010, 04:08 PM   #41
5thShock

Good photograph kraigwy, the thing in context. Like the bird AND the tree. So much more information in the picture, like how a piece of iron can be a comrade.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:30 PM   #42
Single Six

I started in LE back in 1989. I qualified in rookie school with a S&W model 10 on loan from my sponsoring agency. I was issued a S&W model 65 at my first department. Nowadays I'm issued a Sig P220ST,which I have absolutely NO liking for whatsoever. If I must carry an auto,I'd prefer a Ruger P-90. But back to the point... JKump,I'm right there with you on this one;I'd be much happier with my Ruger GP-100 for duty use.

Last edited by Single Six; May 24, 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 25, 2010, 05:19 AM   #43
bds32

Not much to add to what everyone else has covered except to say that up until the mid 1950's, the peace officer didn't have a choice in .357 in a medium frame (K frame). It was either the .357 in a large frame (N Frame) or the .38 in the medium frame. Luckily, Bill Jordan talked Smith and Wesson into beefing up the K frame a little and thus the Combat Magnum/Model 19 was born: "The answer to a peace officer's dream" as Bill put it. The same gun in stainless, model 66, followed around 1970. However, heavy use of the high pressure .357's raised concerns about the forcing cones cracking so S&W created the L Frame. So in the 1980's, the 581, 586, and 686 became popular.

I work for one of those rare departments that still allows officers to carry what they want so long as it meets specific parameters. This includes revolvers. As a result, there are three of us who still carry: I carry an eight shot model 627pc, equipped with night sight and Herrett Trooper stocks, another guy carries his Dad's old issued duty gun, a model 64 in 38spl. He just started carrying it after 18 years of carrying an auto. The third guy carries a Ruger GP 100 .357. The other 152 officers carry semi-autos in all makes and models including all of the old-timers (hired in the 70's and 80's)
Old May 25, 2010, 09:12 AM   #44
SaberOne

As a former LEO of the 70’s in California, we carried S&W Models 19, 27, 28 and the Colt ‘Python’. My personal carry was the Model 28 'Highway Patrolman' while my partner carried a Model-57 .41 Magnum. The most common was the Model-19. The CHP favored the Python six-inch. Ahhh, those were the days when it was fun being a cop. Man, would I ever love to turn back the clock and take my current knowledge with me.

Last edited by SaberOne; May 25, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:44 AM   #45
TinyDee

Most of my pals carried a Model 19. I always carried a Model 27, 3.5 inch barrel which I really wished I had now.
Old December 20, 2016, 03:49 PM   #46
Jeff #111

The dead have risen!

My father started in 1970 carrying a nickel plated S&W Model 10. He joined the Idaho State Police in 1973 and carried the Model 28 Highway Patrolman until 1979. In 79 ISP switched to the S&W Model 65. In 91 ISP switched to the S&W Model 4586 in 45ACP. End of an era. Dad is now gone, but I have his Model 65. Still in great shape. It was issued to him brand new in 1979. He purchased it from ISP in 91 when the organization switched to autos. He also purchased the Model 28 in 79. Wish he had kept the Model 28, but he let that go in a trade in the early eighties.

Old December 20, 2016, 03:55 PM   #47
Model12Win

They've used everything from .36 caliber percussion revolvers to modern Colt Pythons and Smith & Wesson .357 magnums.

When cops stopped carrying revolver in the 1980s, most were armed with .38s or .357s. Some stuck with revolvers until the early 1990s but by then most departments completely switches over.
Old December 20, 2016, 04:32 PM   #48
SaxonPig

It would probably be hard to name a revolver model NOT used by cops somewhere at some time. Up until the 1940s the San Antonio PD still issued Colt SAAs. But DA Colts (mostly Official Police and Positive Police Specials) along with S&W Models 10 and 15 were most popular.

Some departments allowed officers to carry a choice and the 14 was favored by some. The cops in the infamous "Onion Field" incident were LAPD and carried 14s. Of course these are all 38 Specials.

Some departs allowed more powerful guns. In pre-war days the 44 Special was often seen in cops' holsters. I know S&W 44s were favored by Arkansas cops as I have seen several stamped for local agencies. The 357 and 41 Magnums were carried in some cities.

Here are some of my wheel guns stamped with PD markings.

Utah Highway Patrol.

Florida Highway Patrol.

Corpus Cristi PD

St. Louis PD.

Bavarian PD
Old December 20, 2016, 07:28 PM   #49
Nanuk

I carried a model 66 for 3 years and a 686 for 20 before being forced to carry a semi auto. I always used magnum JHP's usually 145 grain STHP's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 20, 2016, 09:38 PM   #50
Bob Wright

The Memphis Police Department carried the Colt Official Police .38 Special. They switched to the S & W Military Police (which was to become the Model 10) around 1955 or so. The S&W had the heavy barrel. Plain clothes detective usually carried the Colt Detective Special, later the S&W Chiefs Special.

The MPD adopted the 158 gr. SWC from Remington after tests showed it tended to "skid" along pavement rather than ricocheting.

i believe the Shelby County Sheriff's Dept. carried both the Colt 357 or the S&W Model 19.

Of some interest, maybe: There was Kennedy General Hospital located in Memphis, for men of all services recovering from war wounds. Part of their hobby/therapy was making revolver grips from clear Lucite. The back side of these was opaque white plastic, with small rose buds, four leaf clovers, and what-not in the clear plastic. I saw many Memphis police carrying Colts with these grips.

Bob Wright