The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2009, 04:08 PM   #1
wyobohunter

What 1st, tumble or size?

I recently got an RCBS vibratory case cleaner so I'm new to this step and just used to wipe the cases with a rag. Should I deprime/resize 1st to let the cleaner help clean the primer pocket or clean cases first to help protect my dies from potential grit? Thanks.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:23 PM   #2
JD 500

Tumble First.

Some tumble after as well to clean primer pockets, I don't. I find if you tumble after sizing, you find tumbling media stuck in flash hole.

I do clean primer pockets every time, with a primer pocket brush that doesn't inadvertantly change the size of the pocket.

Good luck.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:25 PM   #3
FlyFish

I like to clean cases first, for the reason you mention. My experience has been that the primer pockets don't really get very clean anyway, and I don't care about clean primer pockets for any of my pistol ammo and most of my rifle ammo.

ETA: I do tumble rifle ammo after sizing to remove the sizing lubricant. The media will get stuck in the flash holes, so I use a universal decapping die in the first station of my LnL progressive press to remove it.
Old December 24, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
firewrench044

What I do

Tumble ( to clean case so they do not damage dies )
Clean inside of case neck with a bronse brush in a drill
Size & deprime, inspect for defects
Any and all case work ( clean primer pockets, deburr flash holes
( a deburred flash hole very seldome holds cleaning media )
Remove primer crimp ( if needed )
Trim case and deburr case mouth as needed
Final tumble ( smooths case mouths, removes any case lub used,
cleans and polishes cases ( I prefer a shinny case )
All cases are checked in a case gage
Stored for future use
Old December 24, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Randy 1911

The way I use to do it was to deprime with a universal depriming die. Then tumble. When I resize the case the depriming pin would knock out any corn cob that got stuck in the flash hole. I finally realized that the primer pockets were not really getting any cleaner so I just started tumbling first and then size/deprime.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:26 PM   #6
devilfrog

Deprime using universal deprimer, lube & resize, back to the tumbler with polishing media, and then check flash holes as I prime the case. They then are stored until I get around to loading them.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:37 PM   #7
wyobohunter

what about...

Especially dirty cases? Do you rinse/dry them before tumbling? For example, I just got done shooting my 1911 for the first time. Cases were landing in some pretty dirty snow. Would you rinse them off or just throw em' into the tumbler?

Because I'm too impatient to wait for responses I'll rinse em' off this time... even if I find out it was a waste of time from you fellas.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Gary Wells

I would just throw them in the tumbler.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Landing in dirty snow is not really dirty. Laying around in the elements for 2-3 years or sitting in a bag for 30 years in a wet basement will get you to dirty. 12 hours in a tumbler with brass polish should take care of that level of dirt.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:17 PM   #10
wyobohunter

Too late

Already rinsed the cases. Do I need to wait for them to dry now or just throw them in after I've shaken most of the water off? FYI, I'm using Lyman Turbo Tumblar Media. Thanks for the quick replies!
Old December 25, 2009, 10:07 AM   #11
hornady

Dry the cases. I have a 2x4 with finishing nails sticking out. I drape wet cases over the nails a couple days. If not you will be digging Media out of the cases. Or worse. Contaminating powder. I always Tumble first. Years ago most guys did not even Tumble Pistol cases. The only real advantage to tumbling. Is Inspecting cases. Even Rifle cases. As long as not dirty. Its not mandatory to tumble. Some say its hard on the Dies. Some say not. I know guys will Discard this . But for years I never tumbled a case. And never had a Problem. Even with the old Steel pistol Dies. Back when you lubed everything.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Uncle Buck

Toss the wet brass into the oven on a cookie sheet. If I need to wash brass, I put it in the oven for an hour or so on 180 degrees. (Not that I would ever do this, but be careful, I have been told the brass gets warm enough to burn your fingers! )

The only time I wash brass is when it is very dirty.