The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Old Weaver or new Leupold rifleman rings?

I've got both for a custom rifle that has to use Weaver bases because they are machined for it, the Weaver rings are the old school (80's) QD with the big knurled knob.

Which is the better set of rings for a custom 98K in .270 win?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
jmr40

I like the Weaver bases. Weaver rings work as good as anything, but are downright ugly. The Leupold rings that fit Weaver bases are a step up in looks, but are untested as to durabiliy so who knows. There are many options that look better and fit Weaver bases. Have you considered others?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Oilburner350

I prefer Buris Signature Rings. The inserts are what have me sold on them. They are all I use now. You would need the Signature Zee Rings.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
hoytinak

Burris Sig. Zee Rings are all I use on my scoped rifles (except the 10/22 which is the regular Burris Zee rings).
Old October 27, 2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Sam06

I would not go with the old style weaver rings. They are old scool but they are very hard to get the scope on level. Since they tighten on one side only its tough to keep the scope from canting.

I would go with either the Leupold or Burris rings.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

I had originally typed out a more detailed post, but somehow hit a bad key combination and deleted my post, happens occasionally.

I've had the rifle for 20 years or so, and been very happy with the Weaver Rings so far as accuracy goes. They are quick detachable, and I have noticed them being loose on several occasions lately. I picked up a Leupold VX-1 on EBAY for a decent deal and decided to upgrade the rings at the same time, so I picked up a set of Leupold Rifleman rings. (aluminum)

The Weaver bases are there to stay because they were ground to fit the receiver, an old 98k. I went with the Leupold rings because, well, they make the scope too, and I recently saw an amazing improvement in accuracy when switching to Leupold mounts on a 10/22.

Quote:
There are many options that look better and fit Weaver bases. Have you considered others?
I haven't, only because I am just getting back into the rifle game after a long hiatus and don't really know whats out there. Suggestions? I don't need quick detachable rings, and don't really need super high dollar rings for the casual shooting that I do.

Edit - Just checked out the Burris Zee rings, seems to be about the same price wise for steel rings as the aluminum Leupolds I picked up. I may pick up a set to try them out.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 28, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
riggins_83

Nothing wrong with Weaver (or the Burris 1 piece zee) rings. I still think for less than $50 the Leupold PRWs are about the best out there. All steel, use torx screws, good recoil keys, too. The Warne Maxima rings are also very well made for quite a bit less $$, I've just always felt they were very ugly. I tend to spend a few extra $$ on rings and bases... otherwise it's like a Corvette with Geo Metro tires.. might go fast but it won't make it far.
Burris and Warne also make great steel bases..