The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2000, 01:06 PM   #1
Lavan

Since it is on same case, could a Mini 14 be rebarreled to 7mm TCU? Would the cartridge length stop it?
Old February 11, 2000, 10:50 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Lavan, it would work. You'd just have to load your rounds to an overall length of 2.10". The 7mmTCU is 2.28" nominal. I don't believe that with the added barrel length you'd loose anything by seating the bullet deeper if necessary. George
Old February 12, 2000, 11:29 AM   #3
Wallew

George,
I would have to disagree with you on this one, but only on one point. If you seated the bullet .10" deeper, what does this do to the internal pressures of the round in question. Would it be similar to adding .10" more powder? Cartridge pressure is a tricky thing and I would rather be safe than sorry. On the other hand, you could always try it and then fire the rifle from long distance with a very long rope on the trigger. If it blows up, at least you're still safe. Jim
Old February 12, 2000, 01:56 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Wallew, you make a good point. And I didn't express myself very well. I did say "load your rounds to an overall length of 2.10" but I should have said the load would have to be worked up. It would certainly change the pressures. There is after all only so much room in a cartridge case. George