The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 7, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
dayman

UTG?

I'm looking at buying a set of UTG scope mounts these

The $20 price is nice - maybe a little too nice - and they seem to have good reviews, but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them.

They're the right height to just clear the peep-sights on my 336 (I have to take the rear aperture off to use my current rings), and the quick detach would allow me to remove the scope easily days when I'm hunting in the thicker brush, but holding zero is more important than convenience or price.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
amd6547

No experience with those, but I have used UTG.
I use their AK side mount with complete satisfaction. I also used a scope base by them on my 10/22. Agin, worked great.
From what I hear, they have a great warranty. I say try 'em.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
10-96

Dayman- The only suggestion I can really offer on them is- be sure to check the inside mounting area where the scope meets the rail. I've handled a few of them where I found aluminum machining burs and trash in the nooks and crannies. This can be chased out with a small triangle or square needle file and a flat file. Just remove the nut, clamp, and tap out the steel screw and run a file over anything that looks or feels rough. Be sure to get it under decent light and look in corners and funky angles. Crud in there can sure leave you feeling flustered when you think you've got a good mount.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
dayman

Cool, I think I'll get them. At $20 even if I can't return them it doesn't seem like too much of a risk. And thanks for the heads up on checking them.

Worst case scenario, they should work for attaching 1" tube lights to rails - useful for chicken coop defense.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Under The Gun....

I purchased a black nylon UTG belt in 2004 for a security contract job. They buckle broke apart after about 10 days.
UTG is to me, a low-end Mall Ninja brand that I avoid...

CF
Old September 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Old Stony

I played with one of their lights which I mounted on a 9mm Glock rail. It lasted about 30 shots before it completely fell apart. I sent it to them and they sent me a new one....it lasted about 20 shots before it gave up. I too think they are bottom line as far as quality and I avoid them now. I never tried their rings or mounts...hopefully they are made better.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

I think UTG gets a lot of crap on the Internet, some may be warranted. I know there are quite a few stories like previous ones and that's the thing, you get what you pay for. I have a huge UTG duffel bag that works great, but would I trust my life on UTG stuff, nope, definitely not. Would I trust it to hold my pants up, again no. I would buy their rings though, if they were to fail I have iron sights to fall back on. I guess that's why people refer to it as mall ninja stuff, it's stuff more for looks and cool factor than bulletproof reliability.

Just be aware that they are not the best quality and you won't be disappointed if/when it breaks.