The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #26
bird_dog

Bumping this thread to see if anyone uncovered any more information on revolvers.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:35 AM   #27
carguychris

I don't think there's anything left to uncover. As far as I can tell, the act does not specifically refer to a revolver or a cylinder thereof. It all hangs on how the courts and the NYSP interpret the other definitions.

Last edited by carguychris; January 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 18, 2013, 10:58 AM   #28
JimDandy

Basically some poor schlub who THINKS he knows what the law means will have to be the guinea pig that explain it to everyone else the HARD way.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:34 AM   #29
bird_dog

!!!

Amazingly, I just got through to the NYS Police Hotline that just opened today, after multiple attempts.

I asked them about the legality of revolvers with a greater-than-7 capacity.

THEY DON'T KNOW. The officer on the phone asked someone else. They didn't know. She took my name and number and said "That is a great question, and we will call you back with an answer."

Wow. It's really bad that the State Police still don't know.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:57 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

There are 10 shot 22 single action revolvers and I think I saw a 12 shot being shown at the Shot Show.

You can remove those. Assault revolver?
Old January 21, 2013, 11:09 AM   #31
bird_dog

Quote:
There are 10 shot 22 single action revolvers and I think I saw a 12 shot being shown at the Shot Show.

You can remove those. Assault revolver?
Right, that's exactly my point, Glenn.

The trooper I spoke to on the phone this morning was absolutely befuddled by the question. Taurus Tracker 992 has a cylinder that's removable without tools -- it's a push button. Requiring no tools is one of the conditions.....

I don't have a 992, but was going to buy one and was also considering the Ruger Single 10. Forget it. Changed my mind and am now going to buy a 7-shot model 970, just in case the law gets re-clarified against those particular handguns.

But, more to the point, even state the troopers don't know if revolvers are even involved in this mess.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #32
bird_dog

Well well well.

I just got a return call from the NY State Trooper with whom I spoke via the hotline this morning. Unfortunately it was a voice mail, not a two way communication. Here's what she said regarding revolvers.

"After April 15th, any revolver with a capacity greater than 7 must only be loaded with 7 rounds."

Yes, friends. REVOLVERS.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:53 PM   #33
carguychris

IMHO the law is very clear that NO firearm is supposed to be loaded with more than seven rounds unless it's at a sanctioned competition.

The trooper's answer does nothing to answer the primary question: Will revolvers that are less than 50 years old and hold more than seven shots be legal to bring into NY and/or possess without registration?
Quote:
Basically some poor schlub who THINKS he knows what the law means will have to be the guinea pig that explain it to everyone else the HARD way.
Agreed. Any volunteers?

For what it's worth, perhaps the best way to figure this out would be for someone to attempt to register something relatively worthless- say a broken H&R- and demand a written response from the LE agency.

Last edited by carguychris; January 21, 2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 21, 2013, 02:17 PM   #34
JimDandy

Well you could wait and see if the gun shops even have one for sale after the law passes. If no gunshop is willing to have one in inventory for sale that'll be a big clue to how enforcement might be leaning.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:37 PM   #35
terzmo

shouldn't law enforcement adhere to the 7 round rule. It's mostly Joe Average who is in a situation where a handgun would be "nice" or "handy". Law enforcement, on the otherhand, are responding mostly, to an after the fact incident. The bad guys are gone. And they always have more than one or several responders. Who responding to anyone being carjacked,raped,robbed or beaten? How many times does a law enforcement person draw and use their weopon rightjeously ? What makes them more important than anyone else except their job,by choice, is to respond to dangerous situations.(again, there are always more than one responding) How many excessive force lawsuits are filed a year against law enforcement ?

Now, don't take this the wrong way. I'm not against proper law enforcement. I'm just saying, YOUR LIFE, MY Life is just as important as THEIR Life. Strip cuomo and others of their armed guards and maybe NY residents wouldn't be in this struggle to keep and bear arms as our forefathers
fought and died for.
Tom E..SMS USAF ret.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #36
JimDandy

Good luck finding one LEO willing to arrest another LEO for an 8 round 45 ACP magazine...
Old January 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Jim March

Arright. If this is the case, the NY law is fully sideways from Heller on this count.

It goes like this:

Say you have an eight-shooter DA wheelgun by S&W or Taurus. Heller says you can have it in the home "for purposes of defense".

That has to include the ability to reload it and use it in combat.

Let's assume you meekly follow NY law and carry it seven-up, hammer on the empty chamber. There's a problem here we'll get back to but so far so "good".

Now what happens when you try and reload it?

Well you use speedloaders, or moon clips on some variants - S&W has an N-frame 8-shooter in 38Super for example. Here's the kicker: if you carry the moons and/or speedloaders with seven rounds as well, when you reload under stress there is a one in eight chance it will not go "boom" when you pull the trigger.

At that point the gun is not reliable for personal defense. It is a case of "reverse Russian Roulette" - it may or may not go boom following a reload.

So, let's assume you keep the moons and/or speedloaders set up with 8 rounds. OK, fine...except your first string was seven, right?

You are supposed to count your shots and keep a mental tally of how many are left!!! Any school of firearm self defense will tell you that, esp. where relatively low round counts and long reload times of revolvers are concerned.

Not everybody has a "Maurice" that will lock up and stop rotating once empty (because the follower in my mags runs forward and ties the cylinder up, providing tactile feedback that it's dry if I try and cock it dry).

Having a gun available in the home for defense has to include having the gun fully functional - and reloading is a normal defensive function.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #38
JimDandy

It's fully sideways on a lot of counts, but the ink isn't dry enough for the challenges in court to have been filed yet. Especially with a three day weekend.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:04 PM   #39
heyjoe

Quote:
Well well well.

I just got a return call from the NY State Trooper with whom I spoke via the hotline this morning. Unfortunately it was a voice mail, not a two way communication. Here's what she said regarding revolvers.

"After April 15th, any revolver with a capacity greater than 7 must only be loaded with 7 rounds."

Yes, friends. REVOLVERS.
that information from the hotline is incorrect. revolvers are not included in this bill. unfortunately due to misinterpretations and convoluted interpretations by anti gun DA's, there are going to be people arrested for just that even though its not in the law. the hotline has been giving out different information depending on who answers the phone. its as useless as cuomo.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:31 PM   #40
terzmo

so...under cuomo's edict...7 round mags....8 round revolvers can only have 7 loaded.....hmmm...I put 7 rounds in My mag..load,cycle the action,drop the mag and put another in...8 rounds...so there is another flaw in that edict...along with background checks on all guns...pistol owners have already been background checked,pictured,fingerprinted,registered address and serial number/type of weopon....what are they checking for with pistol owner's ??
Old January 25, 2013, 08:25 AM   #41
bird_dog

Quote:
that information from the hotline is incorrect. revolvers are not included in this bill
But Joe, how do you know? If a state trooper thinks that what the law says (and that happens to be the one checking your gun) just saying "that information is incorrect" is likely to get you cited, or jailed, or whatever.

I agree with YOU, but the police that I talked to do not. I'd say that's a problem. (For us.)