The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2012, 07:09 AM   #1
AWMP

where did you purchase your dillon

I have finally made the call on which press to get, well almost either a 550b or 650, budget I'm sure will make the call on a 550b.

I would love to find one use and save some money but I don't seem to be that lucky.

Where did you buy your dillion?
Old October 6, 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Brian Enos is where I got mine. He doesn't charge shipping on orders over $400. If a 550b were to come up for sale it is normally gone the same day or so it seems. Good luck trying to get one.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
BPowderkeg

save a few more $$$$$$$ and get the XL650, Dillon XL 650 Base Price: $566.95, then start adding accessories, my wife bought me the XL650 "full house" 10 years ago, i have loaded well over 50,000 rounds with it, maybe more ! i have a one gallon jar nearly full of spent primers, and that is only half of all the ones i punched out.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Shootest

I bought mine directly from Dillon a long time ago, before the internet or Brian Enos
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...atid/1/RL_550B

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html
Old October 6, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Maligator

I bought the RL 550B from Dillon via phone. I checked out the things online at the Dillon website and then called them to make the order. I wanted to make sure I was getting all that I needed to get things "rolling"

I had read the stickys and posts here on The Firing Line but still wanted a last minute double check. The guy on the phone was super helpful and suggested a few other things and also let me know that I didn't really need a few other things. (Very cool)

Now if I could just stop finding more calibers to reload, I might be able to focus on the ones I have

I'm not a hoarder I just like to have options
Old October 6, 2012, 09:43 AM   #6
hodaka

My wife bought mine from Dillon about 20 years ago. The Dillon catalogue with the babes on the cover come with her name on them. Pisses her off.

There is a reason you can't find a used one.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Chaz88

Bought mine from Scheels.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Kevin Rohrer

Dillon, but I have no problem using Brian Enos.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old October 6, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Maligator

Now see, all this talking about Dillon just prompted me to go and order some 8mm dies from them just now.

Hi, My name is Maligator and I reload!!! It's not a sickness it's a hobby
Old October 6, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
BigJimP

From Dillon direst ....and I'm using a 650 with a case feeder....

There is a difference in the 550 vs 650 ...

550....manually indexes, no option for a powder check die...

650 ...auto indexes, has the space for the powder check die ( for the added piece of mind, in terms of safety alone, I'd take a serious look at the 650) - and install and use a powder check ...
Old October 6, 2012, 02:59 PM   #11
hoytinak

Used on this forum and when I recieved it it was missing a couple of small pieces plus the primer tube was broken. I called Dillion to order the needed parts and they just asked for my mailing address and sent them to me FREE....great freakin customer service!! I never really got into the whole reloading thing though and ended up giving the setup to a buddy.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:22 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Mine originally came directly from Dillon.

I bought it used, with quite a few quick-change setups and accessories.

Quote:
650 ...auto indexes, has the space for the powder check die ( for the added piece of mind, in terms of safety alone, I'd take a serious look at the 650) - and install and use a powder check ...
My powder check is done with the tool located in my eye socket.
Powder drops right up front on the 550, and it's easy to see if the case has an appropriate charge.

The manual-indexing of the 550 doesn't really hold you back. A lot of 550 users even claim to be able to run their presses as fast, or faster than, a 650; because you can run the ram faster, without the auto-index feature slinging cases around.
The only real handicaps with the 550 are: The number of stations (if you're a fan of powder check dies, lockout dies, etc). And, the lack up support for automation -- all you can do is add a case feeder that's a bit hokey.
But, if 4 stations are good enough for you, and you don't plan on trying to get a bullet feeder... the 550 is a good press.
The lack of auto-indexing also makes the ram stroke smoother, and makes for quicker/easier adjustments when setting up a new quick-change unit.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:44 PM   #13
CsAdonis

Hornady LnL AP. 550 price, better than 650.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:38 PM   #14
rmorgan9718

first one i found in a barn and resurrected it. told the folks at dillon, and they sent me all the needed parts for nothing. have since gone back for parts and accessories when needed for...the second one i bought on ebay for a song. the third one on another forum, again for a lot less than new. gave it to my son. the fourth one from a guy on craigslist, again for a song.

now i lusting after a 650. have tried the LNL AP and just don't like it. and nonbody beats dillon's customer service.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #15
darkgael

Purchase

I have three. A 550 and two SDBs. They were all given to me from a friend's estate when he passed away.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; October 7, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:27 PM   #16
CsAdonis

Quote:
have tried the LNL AP and just don't like it. and nonbody beats dillon's customer service.
Not that you have tried it, but Hornady's CS is the same (Dillon set the model). Thing is, I've loaded on the 650, Pro 2000, and the LnL; and for all the fanatisism coming from the Dillon guys, there is NOTHING about the 650 that justifies paying more for an obsolete product - including CS. The LnL is simply a better machine and a better value than the 650 (or 550 for that matter). I know all of you Dillon guys are foaming at the mouth to defend your overpriced antique of a press, but every time you guys say "Dillon and never look back" I laugh and say "because if you do, you'll be sorry you did".

Amongst all of the superior features of the LnL, the one I enjoy the most is transfering my dies between my single stage rock chucker and LnL without changing settings (calibrated RC by shimming female LnL bushing installed in press). Just a 1/4 turn and I can remove or install any individual die on either press and start working. Imagine working up loads and die settings on a SS and then instantly swapping to progressive when you've got it right; can't do that on a blue press.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:30 PM   #17
osageid

Direct from Dillon, found Brian Enos after. I would advise through him because his website is very good at helping which dillon is right for you and is very helpful in helping you decide what you need to get started!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old October 7, 2012, 12:22 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not that you have tried it, but Hornady's CS is the same (Dillon set the model).
Hornady's customer service is FAR from the same. There's a 75% shot they will bend over backwards to help you. But that other 25% of the time... they're going to bend you over backwards, shove their defective tool into the dark recesses of your body cavities, refuse to replace it, and blame you for the problem ... even though it was bad right out of the box.

And, just so my intent is clear... that is, in no way, an argument for or against the LNL AP. The LNL AP is a decent press. I just wanted to respond to the general customer service experience with Hornady.

Since Hornady turned to mall ninjas and greed Zombies, their customer service has taken a gigantic nose dive.
Old October 7, 2012, 03:13 AM   #19
CsAdonis

Quote:
Hornady's customer service is FAR from the same. There's a 75% shot they will bend over backwards to help you. But that other 25% of the time... they're going to bend you over backwards, shove their defective tool into the dark recesses of your body cavities, refuse to replace it, and blame you for the problem ... even though it was bad right out of the box.
Although this has never happened to me (Defective New Dimension sizer right out of the box quickly replaced), every company's CS department has to employ imperfect humans. People are just people, someone may have a bad day, another may just be plain incompetent. But there is a solution that anyone can use when dealing with a bad CS rep - be it from RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, or any other company in existence with a CS department....... Redial.

Again as I mentioned Dillon set the standard that others must follow. Dillon has made it to where any company trying to compete in this niche market would have to not only put out a superior product, but then back it up 100% for the life of that product, regardless of previous ownership. Hornady has done both with the LnL AP.

Last edited by CsAdonis; October 7, 2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: clarification
Old October 7, 2012, 06:56 AM   #20
Shootest

The OP asked where you bought your Dillon. If you didn’t buy a Dillon don’t post here. Grow up and stop making every thread a blue vs. red war.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Maligator

Quote:
The OP asked where you bought your Dillon. If you didn’t buy a Dillon don’t post here. Grow up and stop making every thread a blue vs. red war.
Amen! He has 3 posts and all three are in this thread and all 3 are about how Red is better than Blue. I wish people could: 1: read, 2: not get so much enjoyment out of argueing for the sake of argueing, 3: Read more and talk less...2 eyes 1 mouth...just sayin...
Old October 7, 2012, 12:12 PM   #22
CrustyFN

I bought my 550 from Graf & Sons with my C&R discount.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:22 PM   #23
BigJimP

A couple of points...

a. In some calibers...with some powders...( now I realize you can pick a powder that is higher volume) ....but with some common powder the Min is only 0.4gr apart from the Max....and there is no way you can see that with your eye. You need a powder check to catch that .../ my powder check die on most powders/calibers will pick up a 0.2gr variation.

You can inspect for a no drop with your eyes / maybe install a small mirror to help...

b. 650 press or any press that auto indexes doesn't sling cases around causing issues.../ it will if you don't adjust it properly ...but that's a matter of just adjusting the press properly.

c. auto indexing is safer...because it removes one human error issue /forgetting to index / or indexing without powder in the case...manually indexing is not inherently safer / it adds another step - where a mistake can occur. A manually indexing press is not inherently dangerous either ...no matter what press you use - you have to pay close attention to what you're doing.

d. a 550 with a case feeder and a 650 with a case feeder do operate at about the same speed / but the 550 is a little slower - because you have the extra step of indexing the shell plate...its only a couple of seconds...but it still matters. There is no way a 550 is ever faster than a 650....the 550 has an extra step ...it can't be faster ( and I've used both ).

I have buddies that have 550's and SDB's - one has a 1050 ...and a few of us have the 650's ...and some use the LNL - others one of the RCBS presses etc....and all of us turn out safe and consistent rounds --- because we are careful of our procedures, keep our presses in good shape and clean and we read and understand our manuals and our presses.

e. One plus on the side of the 550 ...is it does have conversion kits for some older rifle calibers...if that is an issue.../ but most of us these days ...load common calibers....in rifles and handguns. But a 550 would be a good press for hunting ammo / or high caliber rifle ammo that you only want in smaller volumes.

If you want high volume (and reloading isn't about speed -its about consistency and accuracy of my rounds ) / but if you want high volume 800 - 1,000 rds an hour ...then the Dillon 650 is the way to go with a case feeder. I like reloading - but I like it more when I can crank out 20 boxes an hour....vs 15 boxes an hour....( or 4 boxes an hour on a single stage - which I did for many years too )...I've been reloading for 50+ yrs ...and for what its worth, I'd buy a Dillon 650 again ( mine is probably 10 yrs old now )..
Old October 8, 2012, 02:27 AM   #24
Gerry

Quote:
If you want high volume (and reloading isn't about speed -its about consistency and accuracy of my rounds ) / but if you want high volume 800 - 1,000 rds an hour ...then the Dillon 650 is the way to go with a case feeder.
I can only reload those speeds with mine when I can convince the wife to be my "automatic primer tube filler". She'll can easily fill 5 primer tubes in the time it takes me to load 500 rounds, but I have to be very nice to her after.

I got my Dillon 650 from evilBay. It was some small dealer in the USA that seemed to have decent ratings that would ship USPS to Canada. (Canadians cannot buy stuff shipped from Americans via UPS because we get hosed in brokerage fees that often cost more than the product itself.) The guy was great and fixed me up with EVERYTHING I needed - case feeder, extra primer tubes, flip tray, dies, spare parts kit, powder check, and some after market stuff such as the primer catcher adapter to replace Dillon's stupid cup thing. He gave me a great package deal that was WAY less than what Dillon itself quoted me, like 30% less at least. He charged me $75 international shipping too, which was great considering how HUGE and heavy the box was.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:48 AM   #25
Edward429451

If you settle on a 550B, I have an extra quickchange toolhead assembly with toolhead and powder measure that is gathering dust. I set up for 308 Win and quickly decided that I prefer loading 308's single stage, so it's unused and gathering dust.

I'd be happy to sell it to you for $75 to help out. It has the measure, toolhead, and powder die, no stand. PM me if you're interested. Pics available, just ask.