The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #51
Gerry

Hopps #9 smells when fresh, but the BreakFree CLP scent is persistent. I've had ROs who were giving me the start commands during IPSC matches whisper "oh I notice you use BreakFree" just before saying "Are you Ready!". And I only use a bit of it in conjunction with other lubes and cleaners.

The smell reminds me of my childhood though when my dad was in the forces and we lived in PMQs. I kinda like it. It's like comfort food!
Old September 22, 2012, 08:00 AM   #52
Single Six

I think I can safely speak for many other shooters when I say that the intoxicating aroma of Hoppe's No. 9 is THE smell of our hobby. Of course, at my house, it's also known as "wife repellent".
Old September 22, 2012, 08:13 AM   #53
orionengnr

I used CLP and Hoppes for years. Discovered Eezox about six years ago; been using it ever since (although I still use Hoppes for cleaning barrels and cylinders--seemed like a waste of money to use it for cleaning). Truth to be told, I converted after reading these two articles:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

It is kind of pricey and can be difficult to find...nobody carries it locally, so I have to pay shipping--I just buy enough to make it worth while. Unfortunately, I seem to end up giving as much away as i use. I have converted several local shooters. Oh well, when I order I've always got someone else to split shipping wth

About two years ago I tried Ed's Red (equal parts acetone, mineral spirits, diesel fuel and automatic trans fluid). It is a very good CLP, as good as anything I have used. Note that I shoot lead almost exclusively, so I cannot comment on it's effectiveness on copper.

These days I use Ed's Red for everyday stuff. I still use the Eezox as a wipe down protectant, especially on guns that do not get shot as frequently.

Last edited by orionengnr; September 22, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #54
Tony615

I use Otis O85 for cleaning all of my handguns and also my shotgun as I have an Otis cleaning kit. I also use Hoppe's #9 on my barrel of my shotgun sometimes. I have CLP Breakfree as well but I don't use much at all. It's a backup to the O85 cleaner if I run out for some reason.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:30 PM   #55
pete2

I like CLP, I use it as a cleaner and lube, except that I like grease on the rails on autos, but CLP will work on the rails if you put a drop on each side every couple hundred rounds. I even use it as choke tube lube instead of buying expensive choke tube grease. Many of the products only exist to separate us from our money.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:15 AM   #56
rebs

If I am in the produce isle I am smelling the ladies perfume not clp lol

I use breakfree clp and gunslick grease for the slide rails.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:20 AM   #57
Denezin

Yes it is a wonderful product. I use it to clean and lube my 1911 barrel and rails. And yes on rails it works great. Havent had one problem since i started using it with its performance.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:21 AM   #58
ShipWreck

Breakfree was "sufficient" for all the other websites you asked this exact same question on - so it should be sufficient here
Old September 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #59
stormyone

jimbob86 wrote

<<<If you smell like gun Break Free, then someone who knows what it smells like is going to surmise you have a gun>>>

If you can smell the Breakfree CLP on my gun, I'm going to kindly ask you to stop sniffing around my crotch. Or I'm going to get security to throw you out.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:35 AM   #60
hemiram

I've been using CLP for 30+ years without any issues. I kind of like the smell of it. If you think it doesn't smell, well, you have medical problems of some kind. I know someone whose sense of smell almost totally disappeared at about 40 years of age. She was fine one day, got a cold, and that was it. About 20 years later, it came back just as suddenly one morning. Her grandkids were making pancakes while visiting and she woke up smelling syrup. She only could smell burned coffeepots and fireworks, pretty much everything else could barely be detected, if at all. My dogs loved her because she wore a ton of perfume, until we convinced her to cut way down on it. She had no trouble staying very thin while she couldn't smell much, but has had trouble since it came back because everything tastes too good to ignore.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:34 AM   #61
frankgh

I used Break-free a lot while on active duty but on my bench it is Hopps for the barrel and cylinder, a bore snake where applicable, a drop of rem oil on the slide rails and I finish with Hornady One Shot. It is fast and seems to be very effective.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:11 PM   #62
Stevie-Ray

Nothing wrong with my sense of smell

I use it a lot because of the lack of smell, like Hoppes Elite-it's good to keep warm in the winter while cleaning the guns and not having the wife complain. I also use RIG +P for rails.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:32 PM   #63
imp

Hoppes #9 is truly dual purpose, clean your gun, then dab a little on your neck before you go out on the town.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:33 PM   #64
WESHOOT2

there is no all-in-one

I use Breakfree CLP for its lubrication qualities.

(I clean guns with Prolix and Gun-Scrubber; I clean bores with RB17 and KLEEN-BORE Lead-Away cloths; I preserve finishes with S&W Friction Block and Corrosion X.
And Robar's NP3....)
Old October 2, 2012, 02:50 AM   #65
fun2shoot

Breakfree CLP is some good stuff. Hear some army's issue it.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #66
Direwolf59

Seems some people worry about the smell of CLP. I personally have never smelled it on anyone unless I'm around people that are cleaning their guns. As for in a store or something like that, nope. Has anybody here ever smelled it on someone while out shopping, etc?

"I don't like repeat offenders...I like dead offenders." - Uncle Ted
Old October 3, 2012, 07:24 AM   #67
mes228

CLP

CLP works fine for cleaning and as a lubricant that keeps a weapon ready to function (does not dry out/build up/ accumulate etc.). However, in my opinion, I do not like it's lubrication quality for those that shoot a lot. I much prefer RemOil and grease for shooting with little wear. I have pistols that have zero wear discernible, that have over 10k rounds. I do not believe there is a "upper" limit to how many rounds a modern pistol lubed with RemOil/Grease will shoot. I quit using CLP years ago and have a 1/2 gallon jug sitting on my work bench. I'm not knocking it but feel grease is superior for the way I shoot.

Last edited by mes228; October 3, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:41 AM   #68
CajunBass

If you can smell Break-Free or anything else short of skunk, on me, you're too XXXX close. Back off.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 3, 2012, 07:55 AM   #69
jimbob86

Quote:
Seems some people worry about the smell of CLP. I personally have never smelled it on anyone unless I'm around people that are cleaning their guns. As for in a store or something like that, nope. Has anybody here ever smelled it on someone while out shopping, etc?

Marijauna, cigarettes, woodsmoke, grease/oil..... maybe I'm just paying attention ....
Old October 7, 2012, 06:20 AM   #70
hemiram

Quote:

If you can smell Break-Free or anything else short of skunk, on me, you're too XXXX close. Back off.

LOL, I can smell the stuff (Break-Free) walking into a house or room, it's very potent, to me anyway. Hoppe's is even worse. I have smelled it on people in stores, etc.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:32 AM   #71
Mr.RevolverGuy

For those that use ballistol I am afraid of it The smell is so bad and strong it actually upsets my stomach I mean instantly upon smelling it. The bad thing is I purchased one of their big cans of it. Going to take it with me to the range and just give it to the range officer or anyone that wants it.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:04 PM   #72
Direwolf59

Quote:
I've smelled beer on people, and Hoppes/BreakFree has a stronger smell than that.

Marijauna, cigarettes, woodsmoke, grease/oil..... maybe I'm just paying attention ....
So you're saying you haven't smelled CLP on anyone?

"I don't like repeat offenders...I like dead offenders." - Uncle Ted
Old October 7, 2012, 05:47 PM   #73
jimbob86

Quote:
So you're saying you haven't smelled CLP on anyone?
Nobody outside of my family.