The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 10:47 PM   #26
scrat

ya it is. If i have enough time you know what i could do that easy. I dont have any problems with my guns. i wouldnt mind finding a bad one and trying that out though
Old May 6, 2009, 07:59 AM   #27
enyaw

Scrat, I did that steel ring plate to that brasser over 15 years ago. That ring can be a big plus to fix up a brasser that's got the ring behind the cylinder dented in in those six spots. It makes the cylinder gap back to normal again. It's part that's called a narrow rimmed bushing fo machines and tractors and all. Hardware and tractor parts places have them. I list the right size and gauge(thickness) up above somewhere. It takes a little filing but it's not a mind blowing pull yer hair out kind of job. Just fit it and solder it on, shorten the nipple cones so they don't chainfire against the steel plate. I think of it as a steel plate backplate. I'll taken peoples brassers that were cylinder gaped big enough to drive a truck thru and backplated them and they's back on the range again. I liked to do that for guys comin into my humble little shop back then that were kinda short on funds. I'd fix their brasser fer cheap or nuthin and they would be real happy that day they came to get it and there wasn't a big bill to pay to get the old brasser back on the range or out in the field. You know those kinda guys that are usually young and pull in with 3-4 little kids bouncing around in the old truck and worn cloths and all. Like money is tight. Wife looking like she needs dentist work bad and the kids have no shoes and all. I remember the wifes would get a look of relief when the bill was "0" or very little for fixin the guns.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:23 AM   #28
mykeal

4v40 Gary -

The entire post should have been deleted. He's way off base and off topic.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:09 AM   #29
Smokin_Gun

What the hell is that all about anyway...and what's it doing on this thread???
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 26, 2009, 12:03 PM   #30
CaptainCrossman

Smokin': My reply was to Doc Hoy's post and the term "war of northern aggression" further upthread
Old May 26, 2009, 12:25 PM   #31
Raider2000

I still don't see the relevance of your next to last posting in this thread, you'r family has been in military service for this country & where your family had come from is comendable but not relevent to the OP's thread.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:42 PM   #32
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Smokin': My reply was to Doc Hoy's post and the term "war of northern aggression" further upthread
Well, I still don't link what you posted to Doc's Relpy...but the term "The War Against Northern Aggression" is a true Statement. as the North or Federals attemped to tax the hell out of the South with the onset of Eli Whitney's Cotten Gin. The South Refused and left the Union...the North threatened to kick the South Out of the Union(after they had aready Suceeded)if they din't pay the taxes. In utter frustration the the blamed the South for Slavery ...then the first shot and kill was made by a Black Confederate Soldier, and the War begun...(in short)
If this has no relevance to this thread please remove it...

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; May 27, 2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Spellin'
Old May 26, 2009, 03:05 PM   #33
olyinaz

>>>Smokin': My reply was to Doc Hoy's post and the term "war of northern aggression" further upthread<<<

Yeah, and unfortunately your post (unlike his) has jack to do with this thread and is completely off topic on top of being beyond stupid given your own admission that your family had nothing to do with the history in question! Un friggen believable...

"The ignore list is my friend. The ignore list is my friend...."

Oly
Old May 27, 2009, 12:05 AM   #34
Smokin_Gun

Delete...

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; May 27, 2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Mistaken reply
Old May 27, 2009, 05:35 PM   #35
Hawg

Quote:
"The ignore list is my friend. The ignore list is my friend...."
Not enough people are using it. Wonder if someone can be banned by popular demand. Nah cuz I'm still here.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:27 PM   #36
Smokin' gun

I have to agree with THE "original" SMOKIN GUN. Infant munufacturing during the day caused tarriffs--since Europe could buy cotton from other countries. I had an original brass frame Gunnison that I shot at least 60 times before selling it to a collector back in the 70's for $100.00. I wish I hadn't done that. I think the remake of that model that you can get through Traditions is a pretty good deal at the price. "36 Caliber w/ case! Hammer hand springs are the foremost problem of a weak part breaking. sear springs are cheap. As long as the cylinder lines up at 12 ready to fire and the loading leaver lines smooth at 6 and your screws fit in easy---you're good to go---brass or steel. Wedge needs to fit as snug to seat your cylynder to the barrel without friction. a little tiny gap is okay but not too much. Anyway, that be what I think.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
Wedge needs to fit as snug to seat your cylynder to the barrel without friction. a little tiny gap is okay but not too much. Anyway, that be what I think.
You need a .006-.008 cylinder gap to prevent fouling from locking it up. .010-.012 isn't unheard of. We're not talking smokeless powder here where less cylinder gap is better.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:03 PM   #38
Fingers McGee

Quote HH:
Quote:
Not enough people are using it. Wonder if someone can be banned by popular demand. Nah cuz I'm still here.
Nah, you may be opinionated Hawg; but you're not obnoxious about it
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 27, 2009, 07:08 PM   #39
Hawg

Quote:
you may be opinionated Hawg; but you're not obnoxious about it
I dunno, I'm pretty obnoxious to me and my wife says so too.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:10 PM   #40
Fingers McGee

Well, I guess there is a fine line between opinionated and obnoxious. I have trouble figuring out where it is myself from time to time.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 27, 2009, 07:15 PM   #41
Hawg

Well for the most part we're both on the same page. When you believe in something as strongly as we do it's to be expected. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:59 PM   #42
Smokin' gun

Sorry Hawg I should have specified "tiny" as being between.006 and point 0012. And I'm sorry for ramblin and glad it didn't rattle you. I'm just a country boy from SC. We ain't smart enough to know how to use feeler gauges on guns. So I probably should have said "tad" instead of tinyLOL
Old May 27, 2009, 09:01 PM   #43
Smokin' gun

I meant .012.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:39 AM   #44
Noz

Speaking of obnoxious, Good Morning.

and I like mine to be .006 of less, not more. Bigger gap, more crud blown out, quicker effect on the base pin/arbor. Less gap, quicker build up between forcing cone and cylinder. Ist situation requires disassembly, second a quick wipe.

Last edited by Noz; May 28, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:09 AM   #45
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Speaking of obnoxious, Good Morning.

Mornin Noz
Old May 29, 2009, 07:33 PM   #46
Smokin' gun

Okay, I'll humble myself. I'm not a gunsmith but i think i'm somewhat mechanically inclined since I have a small farm and have to fix most every friggin thing here. Fingers Mcgee has helped me. I renewed my interest in these guns just recently and I sell them. As far as I know I'm the only store in the Greenville-Spartanburg South Carolina area that carries these in a display case. On my earlier posts I talked about hammer hands'grease etc. I want do that anymore even though I think that Thompson 17 grease plug grease is good. I ordered a supply of Ballistol---I hope it's as good as you say. Anyway, here in Sc nobody really cares about these guns and we're trying to promote em. It is tough so far. Since there is very little mark up from wholesale to retail--I'd like a few suggestions of what I can display. Now, the Reb confederate sold and I've been looking through catologues and think I need one of each of the confederate models (Like Spiller and Burr?) etc. The Remingtons are good but I gotta get a following on low end prices. I like my 1861 Navy Ubertie. I have a 3'rd generation colt 1851 Navy nib but loading leaver wobbles at the end of the barrel. but it's just there in the box and afraid to work on it!? When I wrote about cylinder with tiny gap etc., I have a feel to whether a hand gun is safe to shoot. Now- I know what gauge should be betweeen the barrel and cylinder---but you can't go though all that to customers-- as to what you guys know unless he really wants to know. That's why I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Hell, those guys at W/Mart or Academy can't tell you nothin! NOW HERE WE GO!!!!Since I'm from SC instead of out west---would you promote the brass framers to newbies? They are cheaper and times are hard. I'm talking about the Pietta replicas like J. Dance etc. Or would you buy Walkers/dragoons etc. Just wonderin---and by the way, my experience with shootin these things is that a 36 is easier than a 44. But---I don't do competion shooting. I just want to learn as much as I can---Thanks Fingers,.
Billy Hardy/The Smokin' Gun Shop/ Spartanburg, SC
Old June 6, 2009, 06:02 PM   #47
Gatofeo

Oh well, at least the folks on here aren't writing the textbooks for schools.

Imagine what a mix of slurs, charges, counter-charges, conspiracies, rants, lies, propaganda, posturing and misinformation would be found on those pages!
Poor kids would probably draw a Neo Mason/Dixon line down the middle of the classroom and hurl laptops, Gameboys and books at each other!