The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2000, 07:44 PM   #1
kknud

I have just been able to purchase a rifle that I have wanted for a long time. It is a Weatherby Accumark in .300 Wthby. When I bought it, the salesman said that no special break in was required. Is that correct? Other people have told me that a certain break-in is required. Also, how often should a person clean the bore of a rifle? I clean my other rifles after shooting 20 rounds or so. Can over cleaning cause a proble? I use shooters choice and nylon brushes. I was told that shooters choice would corrode brass brushes so I stopped using them. Any cleaning and maintenance tips would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!

KRK
Old February 7, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Kknud, unless Weatherby is breaking them in at the factory these days, either the salesman didn't know about barrel break in or was afraid he might lose the sale if you thought there was some big mysterious procedure involved. Basically any new rifle or rebarreled rifle needs to be broken in. The procedure that I use is to fire one round, run a wet patch through the bore and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then take another wet patch and run it through the bore 10 stroke in and out. Follow with 3 dry patches and fire the next round. Repeat this process for the first 5 rounds. After that go through the cleaning process after every 5 rounds for 50 rounds. After that you should clean the bore thoroughly after every 20 rounds you fire. I use Hoppes solvent when breaking in rifle barrels but Shooter's Choice is an excellen solvent. It sounds like you have the right idea about cleaning. I like to use nylon brushes myself. I also use a muzzle guide and a one piece cleaning rod. Also after cleaning run an oily patch down the bore followed by a dry one. This will leave a light protective coat on the bore. Before firing again dry the bore and especially the chamber. George
Old February 8, 2000, 09:39 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Kknud, on the suggestion of one of the members I'm moving your topic to The Art of the Rifle. I agree that you'll probably get more different prospectives there. George
Closed Thread