The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2000, 08:08 AM   #1
RON 1

I have a newer 870 express magnum , the 20" bbl does not have the tiny ball and spring that remington use to use to lock the bbl nut in place...is mine gone or does rem. not use them any more
Old September 19, 2000, 08:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One of the cost cutting ideas Remington has regretfully gone for is the elimination of that detent,Ron. Others include the plastic trigger guard, plastic shell follower and now the egregious keyed safety.

My prediction is that older 870s will be bringing more than new ones in a few years, since with cost cutting #$%^&* like this, QC is not far behind...
Old September 19, 2000, 04:29 PM   #3
Hayden

In regards to QC here is something else.
I just purchased a new 870 Express Mag with 26in barrel.

After getting it home stripping it and cleaning and reassembling, I noticed a rattle coming from the stock(synthetic).

If I held the gun and pointed the barrel down then up I could hear something loose sliding back and forth.

The end result was an improperly placed lock washer in the stock sliding back and forth on the stock bolt.

Just a small thing easily fixed but still a QC issue. Kinda makes you think maybe I could have put this thing together better myself

Other than that I love it now I just need to get a day off and shoot it !!!!!!!!!
Old September 20, 2000, 05:32 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Hayden. This time I would have preferred being wrong. It saddens me that Remington is willing to cut quality in order to save money.
Old September 21, 2000, 09:05 PM   #5
BrianF-Jax

Hayden:

I think I may have heard this noise a couple of times! I thought it was my mind playing trick on me since I couldn't make it do it again, but I think I may have the same problem on the same gun.

Where exactly is it? I've never taken the stock off before... any tips on fixing this?

And Dave-- I think you're probably right about 'older' 870's being favored over newer ones in a few years. I'm going to try to make it to a gun show here and buy one thats a little more vintage than the one I've got now. Just in case ya' know?

-Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hayden:
In regards to QC here is something else.
I just purchased a new 870 Express Mag with 26in barrel.

After getting it home stripping it and cleaning and reassembling, I noticed a rattle coming from the stock(synthetic).

If I held the gun and pointed the barrel down then up I could hear something loose sliding back and forth.

The end result was an improperly placed lock washer in the stock sliding back and forth on the stock bolt.

Just a small thing easily fixed but still a QC issue. Kinda makes you think maybe I could have put this thing together better myself

Other than that I love it now I just need to get a day off and shoot it !!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Old September 22, 2000, 05:24 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Brian, remove the recoil pad with a Phillips head SD, then use a long flat SD to tighten or loosen the stock screw. Overtightening may crack the grip through the wrist, so hand tight is OK.While you have the stock off, coat the threads with beeswax to protect from rust and still keep everything tight when you put it together.

As for vintage 870s, heck yes!! Buy one for each kid you have. Buy one for your wife. Then buy a spare for parts. Might be the best investment in the world.