The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2001, 11:34 PM   #1
Ceol Mhor

That little whispering voice...

...that says "Take me...take me home..." bit me today. I was in a local gun shop browsing (under the excuse that I need a new set of earmuffs), and I got ambushed by a new Stoeger 12ga coach shotgun. I went home (having valiently resisted it's first call) and did some research, talked to some friends, and decided that (1) it's a pretty good quality gun, and (2) cowboy action shooting is something I ought to get into. And, of course, that dang, that's a nice-looking shotgun. So today I went back and bought it (my first shotgun). As the rest of my family can attest, I spent all morning familiarizing myself with it (read: fondling it ), and I am very happy with the purchase. The only problem is that the stock was bolted to the action too tightly, and there's a pair of cracks in the wood behinf the triggers...so the shop has it back to put a new stock on. So no shooting it tomorrow .
Old December 28, 2001, 07:07 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Distant kinsman, decades ago a smith of my acquaintance had a sign up in his shop saying something like:

RATES

Labor-$30/hr

Labor while you're talking to me-$35/hr

Labor after YOU'VE tried to fix your gun-$50/hr

Labor after YOU'VE tried to fix your gun and talking to me while I try to rectify-$100/hr.(G)..

Catch my drift?

And been there, done that, and have slunk into gun shops and paid someone to rectify what should have been an easy job. Still do SOME work on my own guns, but know my limits much better.

Enjoy the new toy, I recommend light loads starting off. And, see if you can get some lessons from a qualified instructor. Trust me, it's money and time well spent....
Old December 29, 2001, 08:06 AM   #3
yorec

My that little voice gets around! I heard it too at a local shop today, (The EA coach guns) but was saved due to the lack of green stuff in my wallet...

Enjoy your new gun!
Old December 29, 2001, 03:05 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Yorec

Ever hear of plastic!

I'll be picking up an EMF '92 in 45Long colt. Same deal They have a coach gun but I ran out of the shop before they could show it to me!

I hafta learn to stay out of gunshops

Last edited by K80Geoff; December 30, 2001 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 30, 2001, 07:29 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Wonderful Wife makes me leave the checkbook home. Still have plastic, but an aversion to using same helps.

May have an ordeal soon, been invited by the manager of the new Bass Pro Shop store a few miles down the road to tour the store with him as a guide. Hunted with him Thurday. This may get ugly(G)....
Old December 30, 2001, 12:53 PM   #6
K80Geoff

Well Dave...you could always ask for a job
Old December 30, 2001, 06:40 PM   #7
Guyon

Dave, there should be a sign over the door of those Outdoor Worlds: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Oh, it will get ugly. Everytime you get that sale flyer from Bass Pro. Everytime you walk back to the hunting department and see all the pretty toys all lined up. Everytime you get within a mile of the place, you'll feel its tractor beam steering your vehicle toward the mall.

You may have to move to another state.