The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Bfglowkey

Calling on owners of the Nikon Black FX1000 scopes

I suppose those with the X1000 can chime in as well. I have been eyeballing these for a month or so and got to look at one in the stores...albeit its difficult to get real accurate data inside...and asking those who have either X1000 or FX1000 ( seem to have same glass but different features ) their experiences...good and bad. I have experience with the following brands:

Vortex ( PST gen 1 6x24x50 w/FFP reticle)- nice, tracks decent but it gets "white fog" after 16x. Mounted on daughters Mossberg MVP LC 5.56

Nightforce SHV SFP 4x14x56- My go to optic at the moment and paired with my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor. Love everything about it. Only gripe..no Zero stop.

Athlon Argos 6x24x50 with FFP Mil Xmas style reticle- Tracks surprisingly well and suffers same issue as Vortex but actually makes it to 20x before that happens. Mounted on a Savage 12 308 build w/26" bull barrel. It is a cannon.

Looking to put this next scope on a 6mm Creedmoor build that will dual hat range/hunting. Most of the land we hunt has several areas/stands/ridgelines we fire from so rarely am I brush stalking for hours on end. I am not a fan of Leopold so please don't suggest one. They have great glass and all but for me personally the eyebox just doesn't ever seem to feel right or line up. Its weird but we all have our hang ups lol. The price range is 600-900 and trying to stay there so I have the funds for my first moose hunt this fall in Canada. Nikon folks....speak up! Thanks!!!