The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2017, 03:25 PM   #26
Picher

The split at the stock wrist is common, due to recoil and the rounded metal at the end of the tang. If you remove the stock and drill a bunch of 1/8" diameter holes along the split and behind the tang, Brownell's Acraglas can be inserted in the holes and repair the crack from the inside. If you could put the Acraglas into a repair syringe, it would get into where it will repair it. Don't forget to put release compound on the metal, so it can be taken apart. I use paste shoe polish and it works fine.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:08 PM   #27
Carmike

Thanks for the advice on fixing it myself. Honestly, that's a bit beyond my abilities, I believe.

I did call a gunsmith today, and he suggested I just wait until the crack begins to affect the performance of the gun, and then buy new furniture. I'll give another guy a call this week, as well as Winchester, though I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old December 10, 2017, 01:54 AM   #28
hemiram

When a friend dropped his old Winchester 94 (his 125 pound dog gave him a shot on the back of his knee) onto a concrete driveway, the stock split almost in the exact same place as Carmike's is trying to. He ended up getting a new stock, a really nice looking one, a lot better than the original, and then fixed the old one with urethane bond. It turned out really nice and I know from experience that wood put together with it will be much stronger than it was originally. He puts that old stock on now when he goes outside to shoot, in case something bad happens again. Besides, he's getting up there and his balance has been getting worse.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:53 PM   #29
Pahoo

It's worth a try to fix

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on fixing it myself. Honestly, that's a bit beyond my abilities, I believe.
That is certainly your call but it would not be all that hard to fix or stabilize. Regardless, unless you touch up the finish along the crack, it will always show. I fixed and even uglier crack/cracks on one of my buddies shotguns and it' still in service. Now, he too had doubts about a fix and before I finished the process, he bought a replacement and just waiting for the old one, to give out. That was about three seasons ago

I just like the idea of being able to salvage a stock that would be cast aside. You may develop additional cracks because of the weak grain pattern but not at the current crack location. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2017, 03:28 PM   #30
fredvon4

I have adjusted LOP and done a lot of wood stock work in the past that with my "father taught" wood working skills and current tools that crack would be and easy fix

I still suck at any attempt to checker a hard wood stock.... I guess jut not willing to buy the better tools

I like challenges, am frugal, and if the now, fixed, back to secure wood stock was NOT looking perfectly Factory new...I would grin and count it as part of the character of a well loved rifle....

Some of my very early LOP hacks are damned FUGLY.... but me and my son love each of them...they fit, work, and are unique

Then again, I never owned one fire arm I intend to sale later....yes, over the years I got unreasonably high offers and sold a few....usually years later had some regret

OP has many options----me I would just fix it