The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
TxGun

Pardner Protector Pretty Impressive!

I'm an 870 guy. For about 30 years now. I have 6 870s at the moment. OK, that's my lead-in.

I went out to a private range today and ran in to a good buddy of mine who owns a gun shop. A big gun shop. (Which is the primary reason I have more guns than some of the world's militaries )

Anyway, said buddy had a Pardner Protector with him. I asked him about it. His response was to push 6 boxes of Rio #6s (yeah, the cheap stuff) at me and say, "Try to break it". "OK, I'm your man!" said I. I proceeded to crank out 150 rounds as fast as I could load, pump, and fire. Dang gun got so hot I to be real careful not to touch metal! In fact my friend was pouring bottled water over it after the first box of shells! I mean, it was sizzling! Bottom line: No failures...of any kind. So OK, it was only 150 rounds, but I was pretty impressed with it.

I know it's a cheap (cancel that!..."inexpensive") shotgun, and I know it has the dreaded "Made in China" label. But it sure seems to be a tough little piece of machinery.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:20 PM   #2
MAX100

They are built like a tank. They have very hard thick high carbon steel receivers. They don't ding or scratch. I make tube extension for them that give them 7+1 capacity after you drill out the mag tube dimples. The Norinco 982 and the NEF Protector are the same shotguns but have a different style receiver.

Norinco 982 with 7+1 Tube Ext

NEF H&R Protector with 7+1 Tube Ext

GC
Old May 25, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3
TxGun

From what I saw, it is a darned good HD shotgun for the price. I love my Wingmasters, but I really believe the Pardner Pump is a better shotgun than the Remington Express. I traded off an Express HD recently (a gift), because I just could not, no matter how much I tried, make myself happy with the finish or the build quality. So I traded for a used Wingmaster and had the barrel cut to 18 1/2". Much better shotgun. And I think the Pardner is better gun too based on yesterday's shooting session.

Good thing I had a PAST vest on about half the time. Right shoulder is a little sore this morning . Had a lot of fun though.

Last edited by TxGun; May 25, 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4
TxGun

Anyone happen to know if the 870 trigger group will install and function in the Pardner Pump? The Pardner is a pretty close copy and is owned by the same parent company. Be interesting to know.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Boris Bush

I have a Made in China M37 copy and It throws a slug better, wait, any slug I can find into one raged hole at 50 yards with open sights. When I stoke it with buckshot of any size it gives me the most consistant patterns of any shotgun I ever fired. The Blueing is deep and rich. only thing I do not like is the stock has poor fit to the reciever but is rock solid. My little brother has the Pardner Protector and it is flat out awesome as well and cycles them mini shells made by Aguila.

I have one of my friends Made in China forged reciever M14 copy that shoots just as well as domestic made ones, All for $399 brand new back in the day. I paid $134.00 for my shotgun and my brother paid less than $200.00 for his Pardner. If I lived in Canada I would for sure own alot of the made in China copies of handguns. Some of the best 1911s I have shot were made in China.

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] gives??!!
Old May 26, 2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Tomac

I'm impressed with mine! Eat's everything I feed it (except for the Bernaul steel cased #1 buck loads made for the Saiga-12, but then every pump I've fed them to has choked) including the cheap WallyWorld stuff that my 870P would choke on. Darn good value for the price, IMHO...
Tomac
W/Laserlyte light mount, TLR-1 taclight (since moved to directly below the bbl), fiber optic bead, 4rd sidesaddle & +2 mag tube extension for 7+1 capacity.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Tuckahoe

Some folks on the forums kick the Partner Pump because it was made in China. I just tell em to put the Partner beside a Mossberg.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:37 PM   #8
RangerM9

i picked up a pump pardner prtector for $140 OTD. it seems great. not had a chance to shoot it but seems great quality

i just got a knoxx stock....think i will mount it on there. make it a more compact HD shotgun...low recoil...teach the wife to shoot it.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:50 AM   #9
TxGun

It's a parkerized gun, so I recommend wiping down all the metal really well (you'll likely see a lot of brown factory anti-rust shipping crap come off of it), then oil it up liberally and let it sit. The parkerized finish will absorb quite a bit of the oil and it will help long-term rust control. Wipe it down again in a week or so, then normal maintenance after that.