The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
pearson1662

rings and bases

I have owned a Savage 110FP (without accutrigger) for a few years that has served it's intended purpose well enough but the Simmons scope that came with it is in need of replacement. I have a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 that I'm intending to put on it and I'm thinking of replacing the rings and bases that came with the gun when new. They are the vertical split type. I will also be putting a scope light on the scope if that matters at all.

I would like to eliminate (as much as possible and within my budget) the possiblilty that my scope mounting may contribute to poor accuracy. My shooting skills are poor enough as it is.

Cabelas recommends a one piece base but I have read some things that make me wonder if that is necessarily the best or not.

Midsouth sells some two piece Millet bases and rings that intrigue me. I have read some good reviews of Millet products and they wouldn't break my bank.

I have the ring lapping kit from Wheeler Engineering if that makes any difference. I also have ordered Cabelas boresighter reticle leveler combo.

I would like to hear what y'all think.

TIA,

Jay