The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Keegster

Lead round ball question.

I have a question. When I bought a black powder revolver at a gunshow, the previous owner threw in like 400 round balls with it. Oddly enough, these balls are too small for the revolver. Would it be safe to use them if they were slightly flattened, as to increase the circumference and shave a ring of lead. I wouldn't really care about accuracy,but just use as a cheap plinking projectile. I eventually will probably buy a mold because he also threw in about 10 lbs of bar lead!
Old March 24, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2
marcseatac

I wouldn't do that. There is no guarantee one would not turn sideways on you. Chainfire is what I would worry about. Balls should fit pretty good. You might get away with it 99 times in a row, but why take that chance?
Old March 24, 2007, 10:26 PM   #3
KW-Bane

I agree!

The ball should be ROUND, and fit snug, like you said with a shaving of lead.

I'm am curious...what type of gun, what cal., and what size dia. balls?
Old March 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Keegster

I was just curious. Probably just use them in my .45 kentucky rifle or eventually melt them down. I have a Pietta 1860 army. The pietta works well with .451's but thats all I have tried in it.The one that I bought at the gun show was a Uberti 51' in .44. It's wierd though; I don't know if the guy was using those balls in it or not.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Edward429451

Arent the round balls small for caliber because they'll be patched?

(I really have little clue about BP firearms having never owned one.)
Old March 24, 2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Keegster

.45 caliber Muzzleloaders other than revolvers use a .440 ball and a patch. Revolvers use an oversized ball so when you seat it, it shaves a ring of lead to ensure a seal that prevents chainfiring. You ought to get one, they're a ton of fun!
Old March 24, 2007, 10:48 PM   #7
rgates

You don't patch revolvers? That does sound better. I just assumed you patched each round. I might have to get one.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
You ought to get one, they're a ton of fun!
I should, I've shot my buddys Deerstalker and it was fun. I had no problem hitting a paper plate at 100 yds with it. I have an unopened can of FF and a few rb moulds that came down the pike. Prolly a sign that I should get one.

I'll have to check my moulds to see which one I should get.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Keegster

You should. It doesn't take that much pressure to seat a ball, and loading is even easier with premade cartridges made from cigarette papers. I really want to try this. You really get a buzz when you shoot one of these revolvers.
Old March 24, 2007, 11:26 PM   #10
rgates

My father in law was back in the field with my son and friends doing some shooting today while I was having to work on my truck. I took a break and joined them for a while and my father in law had a .44 BP revolver already loaded and handed it to me. I fired a few and it really felt good but I did not know you don't patch the revolvers. Have to look into that. I've got a BP .45 pistol, .45 rifle and .50 rifle. Maybe a BP revolver next. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Old March 25, 2007, 03:46 AM   #11
brando

1858 remington reproduction

Stainless .44 cabelas loads of fun.
Was told to seal with crisco to avoid chainfire holy moly what a mess, covered us with enough crisco to deep fry.
Got some silacone saturated felt patches that cover the bullet to seal front of cylinder these came with buffalo bulets havent tried them yet. I think it will be cleaner.
If they work I have a leather punch that is the same size and will try to make my own.
Old March 26, 2007, 02:21 PM   #12
mec

I've done that. One time bought some undersized balls for 31 revolver. They were a close fit but would roll into the chambers. Smacked them with the wooden handle of a nipple wrench and put them in with a flat surface upward. workded fine

I've done this with hornady balls which frequently are out of round and undersize. Accuracy was fine and I suspect that swaging them into the chambers minimized the slightly ovoid shape.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:21 PM   #13
O.S.O.K.

hey there mec

I followed you over (no, not really) I did a search and found this board that way and there you were!

For the guys considering their first cap and ball, FWIIW, I would recommend a nice Uberti 1860 Army as your first bp revolver. I love mine. The other one that is popular and not too expensive is the 1858 Remington - they are easier to break down for cleaning - you just lower the loading ram and pull the cylinder pin out and the cylinder will come free vs the Colts which require the removal of the key. To my eye though, the Colts just look so much better.

When I shoot, I use wonder wads under the ball - these prevent chain firing and preclude having to grease the chamber mouths. They also keep the bore pretty clean during firing. Pyrodex P works well and gives good velocity and is also pretty clean, but best of all is more available than good black powder (unfortunately).

Keegster, if these are nice balls otherwise, you may look into trading somebody here for .451-.454" balls. You never know, there's probably somebody with a surplus of those...

Now, I'm going to go post my second thread and (if possible) show off my Colt 1848 that just arrived today! Thanks again to mec who inspired this purchase