The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
1alex1

Custom shell packing? Odd request...need help

Hello everyone! I live in New York City and I'm currently working on an art project. For this project, I need to have a number of twelve gauge shells packed not with shot, but rather seeds. The shells would need to be live and fire-able. Is there anyone who might be able to help me with this?

Drop me an email! [email protected]
Old April 27, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings 1alex1, and welcome aboard.

Any shot shell reloader* can help you, but NYC has some pretty restrictive gun laws -- is seed shot legal?
*Seed being considerable less dense than lead will behave differently in a shot shell and will be much like a confetti load.
Old April 27, 2011, 03:14 PM   #3
BigJimP

Welcome ....but what is the purpose of these "seed" shells....??
Old April 27, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Pahoo

This might have an association with a recent post about loading mucsroom spores and shooting them into wood or the ground. Theroetically you could shoot seeds into a hard to reach place. I suppose anything is possible. I recal how some frouds would seed a mine wall with gold dust to make con clients into thinking it was loaded with gold. Who knows. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 27, 2011, 06:11 PM   #5
1alex1

Thanks guys! And thanks Zippy...*reloader*, I'll remember that

What we're doing is reproducing something that Ken Kesey did in the 60s, specifically loading morning glory seeds into shells and then blasting them into the hillside around his house.

And yes, I know NYC is pretty restrictive...but this would, be done at a friends farm in Connecticut.

Any recommendations on finding a good shell reloader in or around NYC?
Old April 27, 2011, 06:16 PM   #6
zippy13

Pahoo,
Yes, because gold is a heavier metal (197) and would make swell shot shell loads just as lead (207) does. I once heard a rumor, the Lone Ranger would have preferred gold bullets to silver (108), but he didn't have a gold mine.
Old April 27, 2011, 07:12 PM   #7
zippy13

1alex1,
When a youngster, my parents were dismayed by all the Spring sprouts after a Fall's neighborhood pea-shooter shooter war. You might consider making up seed packets for use with a sling shot or popping balloons with seeds inside them.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8
BigJimP

Go visit a Skeet or Trap club in your area in Connecticutt ...and you should be able to find a number of people that will probably help you out.

Most of us - that are into shooting the clay target games - reload 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 shotgun shells / and have any number of reloading machines in our shops and gun rooms. But you won't find any of us on a yellow page or anything ...nobody with any common sense, will reload and sell their reloads ( the liability is way too high ) - even though we shoot and reload 20,000 or more shells a year for our own use... Reloading is just part of the hobby - and reloading is a very common practice among "shooters" ...
Old May 2, 2011, 12:30 PM   #9
1alex1

That totally makes sense...thanks BigJimP
Old May 2, 2011, 03:51 PM   #10
johnbt

Me, I'd pry open the crimps, dump the shot and pour in the seeds. But that's just me.

Somebody will be along shortly to tell me not to put my eye out.

Tags
shotgun ammo wanted , shotgun shell