The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Recon7

Several shotty questions

I feel a little guilty, I just went out and shot my mossy 590, but it had been almost 2 years since the last time I fired it. I am trying to neglect it less.

1) Does anybody make a choked barrel for the 590 yet? It is primarily a HD gun, but I like shooting clays for practice.

2) I finally bought some 00 buck for hd. (federal 3in powershot w/ 15 pellets @1210fps) was that a good choice? I don't want slugs.

3) I plan on patterning whatever round I settle on. at what range should I pattern and what is considered good?

4) If I shoot some #8 shot at a paper target 10-25 yards away, is the hole left from the wad any accurate where the group is centered, or do I just need to practice with the $1 a pop buckshot?
Old June 5, 2008, 01:35 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For the barrel... I did not see one in the mossberg catalog

For hd yes it is a good round but a shoulder thumper. I prefer 2 3/4 as second shot sight aquistion is easier and faster.

Pattern at the ranges you expect to shoot game or clays.

NOPE the wad has already tumbled and is dropping FAST.. the wad flys backwards shortly after exiting the barrel and the POI on the target should be much lower than the shot.
Brent
Old June 5, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Recon7

I guess #1 and #4 are a bust, please keep the answers coming on 2&3.
Old June 5, 2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Joe the Redneck

Well, I make it a rule to never respond to posts with the word "Gat" or "Shotty" in them, I decided to break my own rule because we have the same SHOT GUN.

You can buy a barrel for a 500 with a choke tube and a regulare magazine if you want to shoot birds or clays. I got a 26 incher with a clect choke and a mag tube for $100 on the internet. That might be an option for you.

Joe
Old June 5, 2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

!, For what you'll pay for a new barrel and mag tube, you can get a used 500. Use that for clays, the controls are the same.

2, 15 pellet 00 will be no more effective than 8 pellet Reduced Recoil 00 in real situations and slower on repeat shots. I use either 8 pellet RR or classic 9 pellet 00 in 2 3/4" cases.

3, For HD, I suggest patterning first at whatever distance the longest shot opp in your domicile is plus one yard. Measure, do not guesstimate. Also, since every HD shotgun may be needed to function as a Community Defense tool.(Think Katrina in NOLA), repeat at 25 yards.

4.The wad is easily diverted from the path of the shot. I would establish POI with some cheap birdshot loads and even practice some with them, but you need to find the tightest patterning buck and use that for practice, patterning and actual defense.

HTH....
Old June 6, 2008, 09:06 PM   #6
kozak6

You could probably get the barrel threaded for choke tubes.
Old June 7, 2008, 05:00 AM   #7
MAX100

Mossberg doesn't have choke tube barrels for the 590 but Havlin sales did or does have. They still have them listed but I don't know if they are sold out or not. The barrel also has the front GRS installed. It comes in blue only. You will have to refinish it if you want a matte finish. You can also send your barrel off to Mike Orlen and have choke tubes installed for about $50 total with return shipping. It takes about 10 days to get it back. You will have to buy your own tubes.

Havlin sales link. Click on Close-out Barrels on the left:

http://www.havlinsales.com/

GC