The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 10, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Lavid2002

My new range has IPSC comp. How can I get started?

Hey guys!
Have a question for ya. My new range has IPSC competition and i know NOTHING! I have very little trigger time behind a pistol. I would like to start shooting pistol though. I figured I could watch a match or two and then consider purchasing a handgun of my own. Practicing and then shooting. What do you reccomend I do? Thanks guys!
P.S. any advice is appreciated
Old February 10, 2008, 08:33 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

we were all new once

How I started:

I went.
Watched.
Asked.
Listened.
Joined.
Shot.
Became an addict.

So I suggest that you first visit the club's website if they have one, and contact them with your wishes.
If not, just go, and tell them your wishes.
Most clubs love to have new faces show up.
Most shooters will freely give advice, but don't take it.
First, watch and learn. The more you know before you buy the more likely you'll know what you're buying.
But go, 'cause it's fun.

A33102
Old February 10, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3
RickB

There are some very good instructional videos available from Matt Burkett. You can also learn by observing, so find the nearest local club, contact them, and plan to spend a day at the range. The mistake that I made, was to be convinced, after watching a match, that my gear was inadequate, I needed more practice, etc., and I didn't actually shoot a match until three year later; three years wasted!
Old February 11, 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Rick's case is a sad one but all too common.
You do not have to be a good shot to enter a shooting match. If you are safe and can follow rules and Course of Fire directions, you will be welcome and you will likely have a good time.
We had a married couple of new shooters at the IDPA match on Saturday. He did ok; she did great. He was a somewhat more accurate shot but she had a better grasp of what was going on, seldom made a false move and got no procedural penalties.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Lavid2002

alright : D

Thanks so much for the advice.
Im so excited to join a range that I can shoot my AR15 at!!! : D Ill watch these competitions maybe start pistol...its going to be GREAT
Old February 12, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6
lmccrock

If you are in the USA, then it would be USPSA, which is the US branch of IPSC.

There are some nuances to the handgun selection. Since you do not have one, you might post what you are looking at before you buy. And, as has been said, do not be intimidated by high dollar equipment at a match. There are divisions to separate equipment types.

Then look up 3-gun matches to shoot the AR and handgun and shotgun.

Lee
Old February 12, 2008, 08:14 PM   #7
p2000lefty

I'm in your boat

My wife brought up having a hand gun for home defence once. I did some serious internet research and about three weeks later went to a local Gander Mountain to handle the pistol suited to my needs. ( I'm a lefty) Well that night and about $800. later we came home with a brand new HK P2000 v3 in 9mm. The salesman mentioned that he shot USPSA when I asked about local ranges that were pistol friendly. I visited two and joined one. I went to one USPSA match last October and helped with set up, patching, and take down at my local range. The shooters were very friendly and let me shoot a few rounds after the competition. I asked what euipment that I will need and over the winter I have equiped my self with all I will need to shoot production class. I've probably spent a lot more than I needed. Being a lefty really limits choices. Talk to people at your club to see what is popular and affordable there. Then see what your needs for equipment. I am anxious to test my skills and I hope you enjoy it as much as I already have.

p2000lefty
Old February 13, 2008, 10:55 PM   #8
YoungKiwi

I will reiterate the above.

Wander along to your range, introduce yourself. Be friendly and chat.

Most shooters love talking about their guns and gear, and the competition in general. [Normally you can't stop them!] Ask and Listen to the people there. Watch and learn, ask. Accept advice, and accept offers to have a go yourself. Often at the end of the day the shooters will let you try.
Most competitive shooters are very normal people and will give you advice about how you can get started yourself.

It's the same everywhere in the world that I have been and walked onto a range shooting IPSC.

EDIT : Not enough photos in the thread, so here is me last weekend.
Old February 14, 2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Lavid2002

Do I HAVE to buy a handgun to begin?

Could I shoot my AR in some competitions? I would really like that.
Old February 14, 2008, 11:03 PM   #10
Ken O

The AR is not always shot in ispc/uspsa, it depends if your club holds three gun matches.

If you want to shoot the AR, a better venue would be NRA hi-power matches. The course of fire is 20 rounds off-hand at 200 yards, then two strings of 10 shots rapid fire sitting. Then two strings of rapid prone at 300 yards. Then 20 shots slow fire prone at 600 yards. You and your AR are very capable of shooting this competion, it fun and challenging.

If you state your location, someone here might be able to help you get into a competition in your area.
Old February 15, 2008, 01:42 PM   #11
alan

Lavid2002:

What you need would sum up as follows. Others might change things a bit.

Strong side belt holster that covers your guns trigger.
Belt of suitable width to support holstered handgun.
Magazines and carriers, likely 4 minimum, depending on capacity, speedloaders or "moon clips" for revolvers.
Eye and hearing protection, you likely have this already.
If you opt for a stock "service type pistol" no optics or compensators, IMO 9mm/9 x 19mm/9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum chambering, all the same cartridge is a good practical choice. It will serve for Production Class if double action or "Glock Type" as well as Limited Class, Minor Caliber.
I think that you MIGHT, with reloading, be able to make Major Caliber with 9mm Luger, however personally speaking, I don't think that it's worth the trouble.

I shoot IPSC using 45 ACP, for Limited 10 Major Caliber, and 9mm Luger in Production Class. Works well enough for me, though I seldom if ever win a match. Seems that I just cannot shoot fast enough and straight enough at the same time. It's fun though.
Old February 15, 2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Lavid2002

well

Im in Atlantic county in southern NJ if anyone knows of any hi-powered rifle competitions in the area I would love to compete. Please let me know.
Dave
Old February 15, 2008, 06:56 PM   #13
lmccrock

Quote:
I think that you MIGHT, with reloading, be able to make Major Caliber with 9mm Luger
In USPSA, major 9mm (9x19) is not unusual, but nobody does it with a stock, mass produced gun, and it automatically puts you in Open Division (the only division which allows 9x19 to be major). Not a good place for a beginner. The major 9 shooters are shooting full custom, compensated guns in Open.

Quote:
Im in Atlantic county in southern NJ if anyone knows of any hi-powered rifle competitions
There are "NRA High Power" matches which are styled from older style military qualifications. High Power is a fixed-time, fixed-distance match which shoots the same course nationwide. They have their own rules, some find them boring, but others consider them "disciplined". Nothing at all like USPSA or 3-gun. Not sure if this is what you want, or you can ask your local USPSA guys about 3-gun or "carbine only" matches, which would be run-and-gun.

Lee