The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Carmady

Fair/good price for pre-lock Model 10 snub in GC?

What's a good price (not a "I stole it" price) for a pre-lock M10 snub in good condition? No box, no original grips.
Old August 26, 2018, 08:15 PM   #2
lamarw

Take a look at sold ones on GunBroker to get an idea. The pictures of the sold ones should represent the condition of your particular gun. While you are on the computer, take a look at the correct stocks on eBay for an estimate of their replacement cost.

You might think in terms of $250 plus another 20% for 2" barrel. Then subtract value of replacement stocks unless there is something special about the ones on the gun.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:06 AM   #3
tallball

I got one for $263 in fair condition recently. It's mechanically very solid, but has obvious holster wear. I felt like I got a good deal. The trigger is excellent.
Old August 27, 2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Here in Northern Virginia I'd expect to see such a gun for a minimum of $400 up to likely $600.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 27, 2018, 07:41 AM   #5
Carmady

I did check GB for completed listings a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at the low selling prices.

$263 sounds like an extremely low price. I'd expect the 10 to sell for more than a new J-frame AirWeight.

$400-$600 seems reasonable to me for a nice K snub.
Old August 27, 2018, 07:56 AM   #6
jglsprings

You'd never see one in southern Colorado "in stock" - so it depends here on how much you really want one locally.

400.00 to 700.00 on gunbroker. I see some for under $400.00 once in a while and would considered those a deal - of course depending on condition.

ymmv

Commas save lives...
Old August 27, 2018, 10:27 AM   #7
lamarw

I think some of the disparity in value evaluation above is based upon the definition of "Good Condition". I think one should use the NRA definition. Then there is the value difference between regions/parts of the market place and several mentioned in there part of the Country.

In helping the OP, it is important their thinking of "Good Condition" is based on some sort of standard.
Old August 27, 2018, 06:10 PM   #8
tallball

I got mine from a vendor on Gunbroker that sells a lot of police seizures and police turn-ins. They got a batch of 2" Model 10 police turn-ins and were selling them one or two at a time over the course of a few weeks. In situations like that, it seems like the bidding will often get lower as the days pass. My guess is that the people who REALLY want one get it within the first week or two. Since they were police turn-ins, I figured that even if the finish was pretty worn in spots where the holster rubbed against it a lot, it probably hadn't been shot every much. The stocks were S&W K frame stocks, but incorrect for the year. I figured the police department armorer had probably replaced a set that got chipped or cracked or something.

Thus, after they'd been selling them for a couple of weeks, I managed to win one for a $263 bid. Shipping was probably $20 or so. My FFL sometimes charges me a fee and sometimes doesn't. I got it for something like $300 OTD. It was made in 1962, IIRC. The trigger is sweet.

I'd been looking for a K frame snub for 2-3 months. The key is patience. Sooner or later I always seem to get what I want for the price I'm willing to pay. Sometimes it takes some time. Good things come to those who wait.
Old August 27, 2018, 06:25 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

I passed on a excellent condition model 10 pre lock for 400.00 on consignment.
Would have totaled around 470.00 out the door.
Only reason was that I bought the Sig 230 SL instead, otherwise might have jumped on that price. This is in California where you can't just buy one one Gunbroker and have it shipped into state.
Old August 29, 2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Reloadron

I paid $400 last year for this Model 10 with a 2" barrel. I was good with the price of $400 out the door. The gun is like new 10-5 but did not have original box. Anyway I saw it, was attracted to it and my friend offered it at a price I was good with so I bought it.

I figure it this way. I have some guns I paid a premium for simply because I wanted the gun. I also have guns I got a heck of a deal on so it's a wash.

Ron
Old August 29, 2018, 09:29 AM   #11
reddog81

It really depends on what "Good Condition" means. Some people might think a police turn in that's only been dropped a couple of times is good condition and under $300 might be a reasonable price. Others might think good condition is a gun closer to 95% original finish and $400 to $500 would be more realistic.

Most used model 10's aren't going to come with a box and the grips might be worth $20. It would be simple to get correct grips for any model 10.
Old August 29, 2018, 09:31 AM   #12
lamarw

Ron, Your revolver appears from the one picture to be in "Excellent" condition. The price you paid is very reasonable.

The OP's mentioned one in "Good" condition which will not have near the value compared to yours. Congrats on a nice looking revolver.

Reddog81, You and I agree on the rating opinion variances. This is why I mentioned the NRA rating method in a post above. You and I have differing opinions on the value of a box and/or the price of replacement grips. It will be hard to find a box for $20.00 bucks. It will be easy to find correct grips but more likely closer to well over $50.00 bucks.

Last edited by lamarw; August 29, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 29, 2018, 05:22 PM   #13
Carmady

I looked at a few on GB and it looks to me like they (2" barrels) are pinned, but NOT recessed. I searched a little and found nothing to answer my question.

Is that right, they're P'ed, not R'ed? (sounds like Bond...)

Reloadron, that's a pretty one. Approaching "stole it" price, imo.

Last edited by Carmady; August 29, 2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old August 29, 2018, 06:03 PM   #14
Reloadron

That would be correct in that no Model 10 was recessed. My 10-5 is pinned with the pin noticeable in my image. I am not sure when they dropped the pin but as far as I know none were recessed. Thanks for the nice compliments on mine from those who mentioned it.

Last year my daughter called asking me about a good gun for her husband. I asked her what her budget was and she tells me $250. I found a real sweet 4" Model 15 so the wife and I made it a family gift and paid the difference. When Christmas came I had to resist the urge to keep that gun. I gave $500 for it. Damn, it was a sweet Model 15.

Ron
Old August 29, 2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Vulcannut

I see model 10s and 64s prices all over the place on GB. It takes some patience but deals do come up.

I picked up a model 10-11 last December for 200+20 shipping a +20 ffl fee = $240

The pic below is how it arrived. I knew buying it the grips were tired. I have since replaced them with new old stock pachmayr. The gun is tight and is fun shooter.

Model 10’s with 158 grain LSWC were just made to be.

Old August 30, 2018, 02:56 PM   #16
Carmady

Well, y'all talked me into it. That, and I have a pair of Uncle Mike's boot grips which needed something to do.

I have no buyer's remorse about this, but after getting it home I found the firing pin spring is either gone or broken. And the b/c gap is around .010". It doesn't look re-blued to me, but I don't know what to look for. The very light turn line and the fp spring just don't make sense. The sn is D293xxx, and I found something indicating that D225xxx was April/May 1970. The trigger is really light, and the strain screw seemed to be in all the way, I like it.

I'll order a fp spring. Should the fp also be replaced?

Here's the video which I'll follow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fZsIEhhpV0&t=183s

If anything looks out of the ordinary, please say so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W 10-5 a.JPG (231.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 10-5 b.JPG (240.9 KB, 48 views)
Old August 30, 2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Vulcannut

That’s a beauty OP. A snubby 10 is on my short list. I am sure you’ll get it sorted out.
Old August 30, 2018, 06:18 PM   #18
Carmady

Quote:
I'll order a fp spring. Should the fp also be replaced?
I love it when it's easy. Looks like it was made that way.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smi...on-please.html

Vulcannut, thanks.
Old August 30, 2018, 06:56 PM   #19
Reloadron

Enjoy it and if I were you I would just replace whatever it needs. Sweet little revolver you have there.

Ron
Old August 31, 2018, 04:37 AM   #20
Carmady

Ron, it looks like nothing needs to be replaced. According to the S&W Forum thread some guns had the spring and others didn't. I'm glad I found that thread.

Something else I learned is those fp springs (aka hammer nose springs) are very hard to find. S&W, Numrich, Brownell's, Bob's Gun Parts, and the place S&W suggested, all don't have them. Another option is buying a used hammer on ebay, but you have to know exactly which type you need. I'm glad I can bypass that headache. I'll give it a few drops of CLP and call it good.
Old August 31, 2018, 07:33 AM   #21
Reloadron

Well then, just choot it!! Enjoy...
Ron
Old August 31, 2018, 09:01 AM   #22
AK103K

I picked up a couple of model 10 snubbies this past year. One, was a real nice, near NIB square butt, the other, a NY Deparment of Corrections trade in round butt that, other than the barrel coming lose this week when I shot it , is in OK shape.

I paid $500 for the square butt and $325 for the round butt. The round butt came with the usual beat up pair of Uncle Mikes on it, which I replaced with a set of Magnas and a T Grip.

If youre looking for those types of replacement grips, better go to the bank. They have been going up in price pretty fast. What used to a $20 ittem, now starts at $40-$50 and above, and is pretty much the norm for a "decent" set. A really nice set is going to be a good bit more. I just got another decent set of K frame RB Magnas off EBay for $38.

I also picked up a pretty nice 4" Model 10. It has a bit of holster wear on the barrel, but other than that, I dont think it was shot much. It came with the factory Magnas on it. Paid $350 for it.

Old September 11, 2018, 09:55 PM   #23
Eddietruett

A really nice 2" Model 10 around here will fetch around $500 when you see one which is almost never. Since I'm a 3" K Frame fanatic, I was really excited recently to pick up a Model 10 no dash in 3" from 1960. These were only available by special order until sometime in the 80's. Tempted to letter it, but supposedly it came from a retired County Sheriff. The gun is mechanically perfect but has a good bit of "honest" wear. The original diamond magnas have about half of the checkering worn off. I just wish it could talk@ Best bargain I've ever found on a model 10 at $375. I shoot it regularly
Old September 13, 2018, 05:21 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

My pre-Model 10 is a 1920s era 5" that's really fun to shoot.

I don't have a Model 10 snub, but I do have a Model 12 snub.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.