The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Sneakerh3ad

best prices online for reloading supplies?

where is your go to spot for reloading supplies, such as primers, powder, bullets, etc. can you refer some sites? thanks.
Old September 22, 2018, 05:40 PM   #2
FITASC

Google will really help you.
There are a LOT of places; some are only good for one component like powder; others for bullets. What are you trying to reload and what load are you trying to do?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2018, 05:54 PM   #3
gw44

Graf & sons they have everything you want at a good price !!!
Old September 22, 2018, 06:22 PM   #4
FITASC

But he doesn't KNOW what he wants - see hos other thread asking about load data; sorry some folks want others to do their homework; that is not the safest way to go.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Martys

The OP's question seems pretty straight forward to me. Asking about powder, bullets, primers, etc. Doesn't matter what his "previous" questions has been. He's basically asking were a majority of us purchase our reloading supplies. I'am quite sure he knows what Goggle can do and not do.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:07 PM   #6
condor bravo

Have you tried local shops as well as gun shows in Vegas. Avoid shipping costs and hazmat fees by going local. Then you might want to compare prices against Graf & Sons. Once fired brass can often be obtained at good prices on line. Check out www.oncefiredbrass.Com as an example.

Last edited by condor bravo; September 22, 2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Ben Dover

I buy through my club, which has an FFL and buys in bulk.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Sneakerh3ad

thanks for the answer gw44 and Martys, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I don't understand why some people make certain questions more complicated than they really are. I am trying to purchase some 0.355 115 grain bullets as well some CFE powder for the best reasonable price.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:36 PM   #9
CDR_Glock

I use Outdoor Limited or Wideners.

Midway is also great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 22, 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
kmw1954

Cabela's stocks both Berry's and Xtreme 115gr plated bullets along with CFE powder.
Old September 22, 2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Grey_Lion

I usually buy some supplies on my second or third pass through a gun show for cash - best deals are typically Sunday afternoons when you ask the guy behind the table how long it's going to take them to carry all this stuff back out ;-)
Another strategy is to come in with clean brass to trade at the reloading table for some other thing you want.
And then there's good ole scrapping for lead "urban harvest" style picking it up when you see it in an alley waiting for the trash collector..... might mean you need to remove the lead molding from a stained glass window or door - but hey - it's free.....
Next step up in the food chain from free is getting to know your local scrap dealer and buying your lead and your brass at scrap prices.
And lastly - it's finding the guy that has what you want and will trade for what you've got. USPS shipping is pretty cheap when it comes to brass and lead.
Old September 23, 2018, 12:00 AM   #12
74A95

Powder Valley tends to have some of the better prices. https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Other vendors have already been mentioned.

https://www.grafs.com/

https://www.midwayusa.com
Old September 23, 2018, 01:09 AM   #13
2ndtimer

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
https://www.grafs.com/
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Others that occasionally have decent sales
https://www.midwayusa.com/
https://www.cabelas.com/

Bullets only
https://www.rmrbullets.com/
Old September 23, 2018, 12:02 PM   #14
Nathan

Powder valley
Old September 23, 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

You can often combine hazmat fees, so figure to get your powder and primers from the same place. Get the same ones your load data has. If you start substituting bullets, primers, and especially powders, you can quickly run into pressure issues.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 23, 2018, 01:15 PM   #16
RC20

It varies. Deals are run and removed, shipment fees and how its handled change from place to place.

I know where I usually can get good price on bullets and buy there. I keep an eye out for bargains elsewhere.

I got some Berger bullets on a great sale one time. Never saw it again. So it goes
Old September 24, 2018, 09:05 AM   #17
Nathan

Quote:
It varies. Deals are run and removed, shipment fees and how its handled change from place to place.
It really doesn’t that much....I find powder valley to have the best prices on powder and primers consistently. You do have to buy enough to “absorb” the hazmat fee. They are pretty good on bullets, but sometimes not the best.
Old September 24, 2018, 09:50 AM   #18
reinert

I personally don't go to gun shows anymore, just a waste of time and admission money for me. And, I do make my own jerky...

I do shop a fair amount locally, but I also do quite a bit of online shopping when I need stuff.
Through the years, I've mostly used (and still do) Midway, Natchez shooters supply, Midsouth shooters supply, Widener's reloading and shooters supply, and Bruno Shooters Supply (Lapua brass; you can buy one piece of Lapua brass from them, or as much as you want, and at as good a price as anywhere, IMO). Sometimes I use amazon and ebay, too. My reloading equipment is almost exclusively RCBS. I've gotten very good prices on dies and such through ebay. Being retired, I can follow an auction if there's something there I'm really interested in. Very good deals can still be had.

Propellant and primers I buy locally. Billings, MT, has some very good stores, and no sales tax; their Scheels store is a very good one, with very good help.
Old September 24, 2018, 01:26 PM   #19
math teacher

I get Nosler bullets from Shooter's Pro Shop, http://www.shootersproshop.com, which is actually owned by Nosler. These are so called overruns and blemishes. Nosler scraps any defective bullets. I have yet to see any actual blemishes, nor have I experienced any drop off in accuracy or performance on game. Some bullets have cannelures which I assume are overruns of bullets to be factory loaded. The only difference I have noticed so far is they come in a bag instead of a box. They are nearly half price and the inventory constantly changes. If they don't have what you want, keep checking Shipping is a flat $13 no matter how much you buy, so it pays to make a large order.
Old September 24, 2018, 03:10 PM   #20
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by math teacher View Post
I get Nosler bullets from Shooter's Pro Shop, http://www.shootersproshop.com, which is actually owned by Nosler. These are so called overruns and blemishes. Nosler scraps any defective bullets. I have yet to see any actual blemishes, nor have I experienced any drop off in accuracy or performance on game. Some bullets have cannelures which I assume are overruns of bullets to be factory loaded. The only difference I have noticed so far is they come in a bag instead of a box. They are nearly half price and the inventory constantly changes. If they don't have what you want, keep checking Shipping is a flat $13 no matter how much you buy, so it pays to make a large order.

That’s awesome!

Anyone else have a flat rate?

I usually order 2000 bullets at a time to save on shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 24, 2018, 06:00 PM   #21
Rangerrich99

delete, double post

Last edited by Rangerrich99; September 24, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:10 PM   #22
Rangerrich99

At first I suggest that you buy your powder and primers locally, say a couple pounds of CFEPistol (approx. $25-35 per pound) and a couple 1,000 pc. boxes of small pistol primers (approx. $35 a box), like CCI or Federal. That's such a small amount that I don't think it's worth buying online, since the hazmat fee is a flat rate that would make your purchase more expensive than buying locally. For reference, a pound of powder should allow you to make a bit over 1,000 rounds, so two pounds would get you something over 2,000 rounds.

Once you get comfortable reloading and decide you want to continue using CFEPistol you can decide to buy 4,6,8 or more pounds of powder at a time/a dozen boxes of primers and then the hazmat fee won't sting so much.

Bullets and brass are probably cheaper online. You can do a simple google search and find plenty of purveyors, but just to give you yet another website to look at, I like using Rocky Mountain Reloading. Sometimes I use MidwayUSA as well as a couple other places.

Hope some of that helps.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:15 PM   #23
gw44

I have used Graf & Sons for years they are a dream to deal with, service is great they always have what I need !!!
Old September 25, 2018, 04:36 AM   #24
cptjack

natchez has free hazmat for 99.00 orders. @ 29.00 @ lb for what I use just for 3 day sale