The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2019, 04:06 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

243 TTSX

I have decided to try some of the new barnes TTSX 80gr. bullets in my 243. I use them in my 7-08 with great results on deer and since I have some young grandkids getting to hunting age I think the TTSX in 243 would be a good choice. My question, any of you load for this bullet in 243 and if so what powder works best for you? According to the Barnes website there are only 6 listed powders to load for this bullet and I dont have any in stock (no problem getting any of them at lgs though). Your thoughts on which would be best to try first?
Old April 16, 2019, 05:14 AM   #2
ligonierbill

I load Alliant Reloder 17 or 19, either works. The 80 gr TTSX breaks 3,050 and shoots an inch at 100 out of a Ruger American with either powder.
Old April 16, 2019, 10:30 PM   #3
Six Pack

I prefer the 85g TSX and have been very pleased with results on whitetail deer so far. Four down. All but one within 10-20 yards. One ran almost 100 yards.

I developed the load before Barnes changed their data so what now shows as Max was almost a grain below at the time. I load 45.8g of Hunter in a WW case using a CCI BR2 primer in a Model 70 Featherweight. Because of the freebore, I am over .100 off but it consistently shoots about .5-.75 at 100 yards. No pressure whatsoever.
Old April 17, 2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Doyle

Quote:
Because of the freebore, I am over .100 off but it consistently shoots about .5-.75
If I remember correctly, Barnes says that these bullets really like to jump so having them that much off the lands makes sense.
Old April 18, 2019, 02:26 AM   #5
std7mag

Barnes recommendation is 0.050" off the lands.
But id your getting those kinds of groups at 0.100" off the lands, then run with it!

As to NHSHOOTER's question.
The 4350 family, along with RL17, and Big Game will perform decently.
For better velocities your probably looking in the 4831 class. To include RL19, and Hunter.

If you go with a 100gr or heavier bullet, i highly recommend RL26!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 18, 2019, 03:40 AM   #6
NHSHOOTER

Since I dont have a barnes reloading handbook I am going with the data from the website which only lists 6 different powders for the 80 gr ttsx that I purchased. Is there somewhere else I can look for data for that bullet?
Old April 18, 2019, 04:18 AM   #7
Six Pack

Other than the Barnes manual, I am not aware of any other source of load data for that bullet. However, you may want to look at the Nosler and Hornady data for their monolithic bullets of similar weight to see what powders they recommend.

I think you will see the powders they recommend and the ones suggested in the responses to your OP are almost the same list with few exceptions. In my experience, you will find a load that your rifle likes with IMR 4350, Hunter, or RL17. Personally, I would go to the Barnes website, use their data, and get to loading.
Old April 18, 2019, 04:25 AM   #8
NHSHOOTER

Six Pack, My bullets are due in the mail today and I did pick up some RL17 from lgs, I have good results with RL15 on other 243 loads with sierra bullets so that is why I picked the RL17. Loading tonight and shooting on Saturday, results to follow. Thank you all for the insight!!
Old April 18, 2019, 12:14 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...there are only 6 listed powders..." Means they only tested 6. Not that there are only 6.
There's lots of data for an 80 grain Hornady GMX bullet on Hodgdon's site. A GMX is a solid copper bullet too.
"...load data for that bullet..." You do not need load data for that bullet. You need data for a solid copper bullet. Who made it doesn't matter.
Old April 18, 2019, 01:30 PM   #10
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...there are only 6 listed powders..." Means they only tested 6. Not that there are only 6.
There's lots of data for an 80 grain Hornady GMX bullet on Hodgdon's site. A GMX is a solid copper bullet too.
"...load data for that bullet..." You do not need load data for that bullet. You need data for a solid copper bullet. Who made it doesn't matter.
I don't use any of the newer premium bullet's. But seem's I read that the Barnes is a solid copper bullet but the Hornady GMX and similar Nosler bullet's are not, they are made from guilding metal. Barne's use f pure copper bullet, these days and pure copper tubing jacket's in the past were prone to copper fouling in the barrel. That may or may not be a problem. In my rifle's a guilding metal, copper, build up doesn't get to bad as I don't generally sit down and shoot a lot of shots from one rifle at a time. Also I found that to good a cleaning seem's to require fouling shot's to get shooting again. As a result, some fouling left in the barrel seem's to be a good thing. Then again I have never fired what I think was a copper jacketed bullet from a rifle of mine. When a bullet enter's the rifling there must be some compression of the whole bullet I would think. Two different metals just may compress differently. What is harder, copper or guilding metal? My guess with what I've read about Barne's copper fouling is guilding metal may be harder. I suspect that because of the fouling Barne's seem's to have had in the past. A soft lead bullet lead foul's faster than a hard lead bullet! Primary difference being the strength of the bullet!
Old April 18, 2019, 03:07 PM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
I don't use any of the newer premium bullet's. But seem's I read that the Barnes is a solid copper bullet but the Hornady GMX and similar Nosler bullet's are not, they are made from guilding metal. Barne's use f pure copper bullet, these days and pure copper tubing jacket's in the past were prone to copper fouling in the barrel. That may or may not be a problem. In my rifle's a guilding metal, copper, build up doesn't get to bad as I don't generally sit down and shoot a lot of shots from one rifle at a time. Also I found that to good a cleaning seem's to require fouling shot's to get shooting again. As a result, some fouling left in the barrel seem's to be a good thing. Then again I have never fired what I think was a copper jacketed bullet from a rifle of mine. When a bullet enter's the rifling there must be some compression of the whole bullet I would think. Two different metals just may compress differently. What is harder, copper or guilding metal? My guess with what I've read about Barne's copper fouling is guilding metal may be harder. I suspect that because of the fouling Barne's seem's to have had in the past. A soft lead bullet lead foul's faster than a hard lead bullet! Primary difference being the strength of the bullet!
I have shot a lot and continue to shoot a lot of Barnes and Hornaday GMX. Never had a fouling issue except in the .257 WBY. Everything fouls a .257 WBY. I shoot ttsx in my .22-250. With CFE powder, I can shoot over 200 shots between cleanings. That's kind of funny. Time for a new barrel every 5 cleanings.
Old April 18, 2019, 09:45 PM   #12
Colorado Redneck

I used 80 gr. TTSX last season. They worked great. If you rifle likes them, you probably will too. The Hodgdon data for 80 gr GMX is anemic with the 80 gr. TTSX. My best results were with Hybrid 100V and IMR 4451.