The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2019, 10:15 AM   #26
chaim

So the gun got to my FFL the other day. Unfortunately, MD has a 7 day waiting period, and you can't submit the paperwork to start the clock until the gun is physically at the FFL, so I have most of next week until I can pick it up (and since I'm moving, it probably won't be until after next weekend).

Anyway, it is beautiful. The finish is nice, just polished enough to look good without easily picking up finger prints or being too flashy for a CCW gun. The size, about halfway between the K-frame and J-frame looks just right. I thought I'd want to immediately replace the Hogue grips, expecting something a bit big for carry, but these seem to be a little smaller in comparison to the rest of the gun than Hogue rubber grips usually are, and it fits my hand well. The size and weight seem like they'll be great IWB, and at least with .38spl, it will be fun at the range.

Now for the trigger pull everyone raves about. The SA pull was definitely nice, almost as nice as the best S&W SA pulls I've shot or dry fired. For the DA, the best DA trigger pull I've fired is my 1991 vintage Taurus 85CH (believe it or not). I have no idea how much it was shot and dry fired before I bought it a bit over a decade ago. Since I've had it, I've shot it a lot and dry fired it more. So, the trigger has smoothed out quite nicely. Well, the King Cobra was comparable, very smooth and not too heavy, and this was the first time I've ever dry fired it (and I assume it didn't get dry fired too much at the FFL I bought it from, since they haven't been out long it can't have been sitting on the shelf all that long). I can't imagine how nice it will be once it has a few hundred (let alone a few thousand) rounds and dry fires through it to smooth it out even more.

I can't wait to take it home and to get it to the range.