The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2018, 09:37 PM   #1
ThomasT

New To Me Pedersoli Rifle

Just won this Pedersoli rifle off GB for what I think is a good price for what they are selling for at Dixie Gun works. I have owned a Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle many years ago and it was a fine shooting gun.

This is in .45 caliber and is my favorite BP rifle caliber to shoot. I have another .45 and cast round balls and a 200gr Lee REAL bullet. Anyone have any experience with this model of gun? i know they are not authentic but thats not a huge concern to me. It in the spirit of the original guns and for now thats good enough for me. Dixie list the price on their guns at $650. I will pay $355 for this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764452897
Old April 22, 2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Pahoo

No second thoughts

ratshooter
If the bore is good then I feel you did rather well. I have my preference on the Pedersoli's but never the quality. This looks to be one of the Pennsylvania types but not sure and don't know if it's a current model. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 22, 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:17 PM   #3
ThomasT

Got the rifle Friday. The bore is good The stock looks good too. It has been shot but seems to have been cared for. I took off the lock expecting to find a little dirt in there but it was surprisingly clean. It did have one spot near the muzzle where a cross pin for the thimble broke out the wood. The only thing I don't like is that sucker is long. Its longer than I expected. Here are a few pictures of the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (189.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (172.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (126.6 KB, 49 views)
Old May 6, 2018, 09:18 PM   #4
ThomasT

It only let me post three pictures so here are a couple of shots of the bore. This has been identified as a Dixie pennsylvania rifle and they sell new from Dixie for $1050. So I am pleased with the $355 I paid for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (142.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (144.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (124.8 KB, 41 views)
Old May 7, 2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Pahoo

Excellent

ratshooter
Again, you did rather well. Not only a good bore and deep rifling. The crown is in great shape as well. Des not look like it's been shot very much. ....
Not seeing that "ding" very well but you might be able to raise it but at any rates;

Clean her up and "Make Smoke" ......

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 7, 2018, 12:23 PM   #6
ThomasT

Hey Pahoo its not really a ding but a chip shown in the fuzzy picture number 3 in the 3rd post. I bought some walnut wood putty and filled the chip and its almost invisible now.
Old May 8, 2018, 01:53 AM   #7
Beagle333

Looks good to me! I think you made a fine buy!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Pahoo

Great job

Quote:
I bought some walnut wood putty and filled the chip and its almost invisible now.
Sounds like you did a good fix. Dings are fairly easy to raise but once the fibers are broken, then it takes a bit more work. Might want to tell the folks what product you used. Even when Making my own out of matching wood, I can never match the finished color. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 8, 2018, 07:16 PM   #9
ThomasT

I just used wood filler I found at home Depot. Walnut color. Minwax brand. Its a little lighter in color than the stock So I stained it darker with Old English scratch remover. Its still not a perfect match. I will try something else most likely or maybe just live with it. Its not that big of a deal to me. I admit I am anal though. I like things straight, even and perfect. And everything put back where its supposed to go.

I really don't like the 42" barrel. I like the same gun offered by Pedersoli called the Dixie Cub with patch box or the same gun without patch box named Scout rifle. I am giving some serious thought to shortning this gun to around 28-30" and refitting the nose cap. Should be an easy conversion and would give me the gun I wanted the most. Or I may just sell it. After I test fire it.
Old May 11, 2018, 04:53 PM   #10
gwpercle

Awesome Deal....I hoped you were the one who got it.
Looks nice for the price....you did good !

The good thing about a reproduction is you can shorten the barrel and not worry about hurting the value !
How does it shoot ?
Gary
Old May 13, 2018, 11:22 AM   #11
ThomasT

Hi Gary. Were you watching it too? Yes a barrel shortning may be in the future but I will shoot it as is first. Heck I may really like it. Ad no I haven't shot it yet.

I did go shoot BP rifles yesterday but I shot my other ".45". A Cabelas Hawken I bought as a kit back in the middle 1990s and man what a good shooting gun that is. The kit was $129 shipped and it has the best looking wood of all the rifles I own. It has gold and brown stripes through it and in the sun the gold stripes look like they go deep into the wood. My bud bought a kit because he liked my rifle so much but has has some very plain looking wood. It shoots fine though.

Maybe next weekend I will go shoot again. If i do I will try out the Pedersoli. This was the first time I have shot BP rifles in about 3 years. I had forgotten how much fun they were to shoot.