The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 2, 2008, 06:47 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

I guess I don't know how to "touch" that one ???

I feel everyone aught to have the right to defend themselves... but some people both just shouldn't have guns ( too easily angered, mentally unstable, lack of respect for the gun, &what it can do, too clutsy... what ever )... others shouldn't probably "use" a handgun for self defense ( people who are not of the correct mind set to be able to pull the trigger, before getting the gun taken away from them )

but I feel much more comfortable, with more than "basic" handgun knowledge... but feel that the courses should cover more... nowhere during the course did anyone ever say that MN's permit, was a permit to carry, not a conceiled carry permit... I think there was alot of implyed ideas, & nothing presented to the class as to where to get the answers...
Old June 2, 2008, 07:12 AM   #27
ImDisaster

IMHO, the MAIN thing a CCW class should teach is safe gun handling and the law. The law is complicated and can change so information on where to get the latest law info. should be provided.

As far as a first time handgun owner being restricted from getting a CCW I don't agree. However, I do think it would be nice if the people teaching the class actually evaluated the person's knowledge of gun safety and the laws taught and if a person could not pass a simple test they should NOT have a CCW.
Old June 2, 2008, 09:07 AM   #28
PT111

Quote:
IMHO, the MAIN thing a CCW class should teach is safe gun handling and the law. The law is complicated and can change so information on where to get the latest law info. should be provided.
To me anything beyond that in a CCW class is a bonus but those two should be at a minimum. For an experienced person such as former military the safe handling is good reinforcement but the laws should be for everyone. How much bad information on the law from experienced gunners do you get right here on this board. I think too many people get the basic CCW class and a defensive handgun or skills class confused.

Quote:
As far as a first time handgun owner being restricted from getting a CCW I don't agree. However, I do think it would be nice if the people teaching the class actually evaluated the person's knowledge of gun safety and the laws taught and if a person could not pass a simple test they should NOT have a CCW.
I agree with this but there are many who won't. I do feel that once you step off your property and walk down the street a different set of rules apply. Just like with a a race car driver, I have no problems with them driving around the track or on private property at 200+ mph. However I don't think that they should be allowed to on the Interstate.