The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 21, 2000, 06:36 PM   #1
LASur5r

I had purchased a Galil.308 semi-automatic a while back when it was legal to own an "assault weapon"..Having been through several L.A. riots, I figured it was a good long range home self-defense weapon to have.

Recently a friend asked to borrow the Galil because there had been a rash of home invasions in his area where the BG's wore body armor. He only wanted it until he got passed the waiting period for his Ruger mini-14.

He told me that when he went out to the range to get the feel of the Galil, he had several people ask if it could be converted to fully automatic. Not being a "spray and pray" type of fellow, I never really thought of it. So I'd like to ask the folks on this board if that is possible?

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
Old July 21, 2000, 08:04 PM   #2
Daren Thompson

From a legal standpoint probably not. No more machine guns can be manufactured for civilian use after May 19, 1986. Your only option is to find a registered auto sear for your gun. That is going to be hard to do for your gun.

Hope this helps

Later
Daren
Old July 22, 2000, 06:15 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Darren is correct. As per the 1986 law, the Firearm Owners Protection Act, no new machineguns may be produced for civilian consumption. New title III weapons may be procurred only by gov't agencies on official letterhead.
Old July 26, 2000, 08:20 PM   #4
LASur5r

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. For me it was a question that help bring me up to speed on today's regulations.

As I mentioned in my post, I was perfectly happy with my Galil as is...I am just sad that we have lost the right to own some fine rifles (PC=assault weapons). I went from a period of being able to purchase and own some of these rifles just for our own enjoyment in target shooting, owning part of history, keeping it as a "Just in case" weapon while hoping that we never have to use it, and just plain marveling at the simplicity of a machine.

I regret gentlemen, that like "civilized wars" and all the gallantry and weaponry that went with it. Then when we were issued and trusted with all kinds of weapons that we used in war and we could have lost our lives in those wars to preserve our freedoms, only to come home and have that very right that we fought and died for be taken away....I regress, gentlemen. I am sure that I am singing to the choir.

Thank you again for your answers.

Keep your powder dry and shoot straight.
Old August 20, 2000, 04:37 PM   #5
lunde

Crap! Back in the late 1980s (when I lived in Wisconsin, a Class III friendly state) I had bought a Galil ARM (long barrel with wood handguard and bipod) in 5.56mm, then a couple years later (after having turned 21) had Fleming Firearms convert it into a select-fire SAR (shorter barrel with polymer handguard). It was one sweet weapon! Unfortunately, I sold it in the early 1990s. If I knew the state of today, I would have never sold it.

[This message has been edited by lunde (edited August 20, 2000).]
Old August 21, 2000, 12:23 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

It is possible to convert the Galil to selective fire, but only if it is for the military, police or export. Thanks RR for banning all future production of MGs, SMGs, full-auto rifles to the general public.