The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 14, 2018, 11:19 PM   #76
hdwhit

Sorry to get to this discussion late, but before anyone can have a meaningful discussion of a concept like "stopping power", it is first necessary to define the term in a way that is meaningful and can be repeatedly demonstrated.

I can take a 25 ACP pistol and shoot the proverbial "linebacker for the Green Bay Packers" in the medulla and they will die instantly. Alternatively, I can empty all six chambers of a 357 Magnum revolver into the same individual, strking them only on the periphery and they will walk out of the hospital in a few weeks time.

Does that mean the 25 ACP has more "stopping power" than the 357? Of course not. But what it does mean it that the concept has to first be defined - and that definition has to take into account not only energy imparted to the target, but shot placement, wound ballistics and the criteria for what constitutes a "stop", before it can be meaningfully discussed.
Old November 15, 2018, 12:37 AM   #77
stagpanther

I once saw a gang hit--a kid was standing at the corner when a car pulled up, down went the window and at the distance of just a few feet some gangstah emptied the entire magazine of a 45 acp pistol at the kid. The kid took off running faster than a track star--but after I called it in the police caught both the shooter and the shootee. The kid shot had just one hit low, a pass-through through the side, and he calmly stood while the EMT's administered first aid to him and the police gathered evidence.