The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2017, 08:01 AM   #26
adamBomb

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to check out the Beretta Storm today. On paper, the compact version seems perfect as I do prefer a hammer vs striker fired if I can have choice...

I am looking for this gun to fulfill two roles (maybe I shouldn't be). I am looking for a home protection gun that has a safety. I want the safety for my home protection gun because if I wake up at night I want to be sure I dont pick it up with my hand on the trigger. As of now my current night gun just doesnt have a round in the chamber and I want to change that. While Ive never even picked that gun up by the trigger I dont want to make the mistake ever.

The other role I want this gun to fill is as a CCW at work. As of now, you cannot carry at my work (a university) but there are some initiatives to change that and I believe in the next year or so you will be able to (wishful thinking). My normal carry gun is a bodyguard 380 and I love it. At my university the buzz is mass shooters and its what everyone is talking about. Thus if I were trapped in a classroom/building situation I would really love a 15 round capacity. As a result, I wanted a bigger gun that would probably go in my backpack (thus need for a safety) while I carried my bodyguard in my pocket or IWB. So even a full size gun could work. I just want to be able to IWB carry it too if I ever felt I needed more rounds. I hope that makes sense.

So I am really considering the px4 storm in all sizes...I am also looking at some full size guns like the beretta 92. I like the 1911 as well but the round count isnt there.
Old August 23, 2017, 08:46 AM   #27
cw308

adamBomb
I see where your coming from . Crazy world where living in , l also prefer a external hammer , my 3" 1911 I keep one in the chamber with the hammer down . In your situation indoors could be like a war zone , let's hope things change.

What ever firearm you choose make sure you get at least 200 rounds shot without a problem , your self defense handgun must be 100% reliable at all times . keep it clean and be safe out there.

Chris
Old August 23, 2017, 08:54 AM   #28
JoeSixpack

Larger guns can easily fill both roles.
A px4 compact would be a fine choice for both carry and home defense.

I carry a Taurus 99, which is very similar to a Beretta 92 w/adj. sights.
It really simplifies things as I can go from holster to night stand and back again.

Although it's large for a carry gun I don't mind the size or weight.

If you have a gun that is in double action mode the trigger is generally sufficiently heavy enough that you don't need a manual safety.. at least IMO.

Anyway I think the px4 compact would be a good all around choice if it fits you.
Old August 23, 2017, 05:12 PM   #29
Onward Allusion

The PX4 is a good gun. It is a bit on the thick side, however. It's 1.4". That's almost a 1/4 inch thicker than a G17.
Old August 23, 2017, 05:15 PM   #30
Siggy-06

M&P9 Compact. I had a PX4 Compact but it was a bit too heavy and bulky for all day carry. Carried my M&P40c for 3+ years comfortably and could use larger size mags if needed.
Old August 23, 2017, 05:59 PM   #31
armoredman

Had a PX4 Storm, good gun. High Noon makes some nice holsters for it.

Old August 23, 2017, 06:00 PM   #32
JoeSixpack

If the stats I just looked up is right the M&P40c is only 0.2" thinner and only 2.4oz lighter.. was the px4 really so heavy in comparison?

1.4 vs 1.2"
27.3 vs 24.9oz

The bulky I might give you cause the px4c does have a larger grip.
But the weight?
Old August 23, 2017, 07:56 PM   #33
Doc Holliday 1950

Adam,

Why do you require a safety?? As I wave been told, the safety adds just one more extra time/movement needed to use your Pistol in a Life or Death situation. Is that the only reason that you will not use a Glock 19 ????

Doc
Old August 23, 2017, 08:15 PM   #34
adamBomb

Quote:
Why do you require a safety?? As I wave been told, the safety adds just one more extra time/movement needed to use your Pistol in a Life or Death situation. Is that the only reason that you will not use a Glock 19 ????
The main reason I want the safety is that this gun will sit on my nightstand and if I wake up I dont want to accidentally pull the trigger when I grab it. Currently I have my glock 26 on my nightstand but no round in the chamber for this reason. A gun with a hammer/decocker is probably enough for me to avoid doing this too so I am considering those as well. I used to have my revolver next to me and never had a problem...Other reasons I prefer a safety on a gun like a glock is that there is no hammer for me to feel when I holster the gun, like a revolver, so if the trigger ever were to get caught on something like a string, tshrirt, etc you just wouldnt know until you got glock leg whereas a safety or hammer would prevent that unfortunate event. But yes I do understand its one more thing to think about.
Old August 23, 2017, 09:47 PM   #35
BigBL87

Since you are open to a decocker, the P07 might be worth a second look with the PX4.
Old August 24, 2017, 06:31 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Given the OP's requirements, the PX 4 seems like a good option, having both a safety and a hammer.
Old August 24, 2017, 08:26 AM   #37
pat701

One pistol to do both duties IMHO a 9mm Sig P229. Or if you prefer 45ACP a Sig P227 carry model with 14 rd in it. My night stand pistol is a full sized P227 with a 14rd mag stuck in it. Nothing wrong with 14+1 of 45ACP goodness.
Old August 24, 2017, 10:07 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

I would advise against keeping a gun in a back pack that is physically separate from you. Leave in your office? Going to take it to every meeting? To the john?

You are in environment with lots of folks. Back packs get lifted.

Figure out how to conceal a better gun than the 380 IMHO.

As far as the safety issue/hammer, I'd rather train intensively to be safe as compared to relying on extra mechanisms. But to each his or her own. Folks fumble the safety under stress as you would be if faced with a surprise rampage shooter.

Revolver shooters don't worry about that. So the issue is trigger pull - what else is new?

Mechanics don't substitute for skill.
Old August 24, 2017, 12:34 PM   #39
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Folks fumble the safety under stress as you would be if faced with a surprise rampage shooter.
Oh, no, not I! Ever! I know what I'm doing!

Seriously, though, I once failed to disengage a thumb safety on a pistol I had carried for some time. The stress? Training in the presence of a nationally known instructor.

Under some circumstances, the results could have been dire.

At the strong insistence of the trainer, I left the safety disengaged while drawing, shooting, and and re-holstering for two days.

I was uneasy about that. ams I ended up switching to a pistol equipped with a grip safely.
Old August 24, 2017, 02:26 PM   #40
TailGator

Quote:
Better to become proficient at accurately and consistently hitting your target than flinging lots of lead.
No reason to assume that a person who carries more ammo is less proficient with his or her pistol.

The cautions about keeping your backpack with you is valid. Maybe you have a place to lock it up? If you work out that set of problems, there are also backpacks and sling packs with integral holsters. I would want the trigger covered inside the pack, myself. If you don't buy a concealment pack, you might still be able to figure out a way to attach a holster to your pack. I would also advise dedicating a pocket to the pistol.
Old August 24, 2017, 02:42 PM   #41
adamBomb

Quote:
The cautions about keeping your backpack with you is valid. Maybe you have a place to lock it up? If you work out that set of problems, there are also backpacks and sling packs with integral holsters. I would want the trigger covered inside the pack, myself. If you don't buy a concealment pack, you might still be able to figure out a way to attach a holster to your pack. I would also advise dedicating a pocket to the pistol.
Absolutely. I would probably buy a backpack designed to hold the pistol or work out something like a specialized compartment for it. I am very cautious about those types of things. As far as bringing the bag with me, yes it currently goes everywhere, even the bathroom and to meetings and is always either on my back or at my feet.

Having said that, currently I can't even carry at work so this is just wishful thinking. The gun I am getting is really for home defense and hopefully could be used to carry at work in the future if they ever allow it. More than likely I would probably buy another gun at that time anyway, so I am considering just getting a full size pistol for home defense only right now. Going to look tomorrow and check out some guns. Hopefully get to the range soon with some buddies to try to what they are carrying these days too.
Old August 24, 2017, 07:12 PM   #42
Longhorn1986

FNX-45. Manual safety. Option of carrying condition one and 15+1 of .45acp to get the bad guy's attention.
Old August 25, 2017, 11:15 AM   #43
adamBomb

Finally went and looked today. I was intrigued by the XD9, px4, and FNs9. All of those felt great. However, I just kept going back to the Beretta 92FS. I liked the all metal design. It just felt and looked great and has a good reputation. I realize that the others are much better if I were to ever want to CCW. Not sure what to do but my gut tells me to get the 92 for home defense and then worry about a larger capacity ccw, like the px4 sub compact, if and when my university ever allows ccw. Im going to sit on it and do more research for now before I make a decision but those were my initial thoughts upon leaving the store.
Old August 25, 2017, 12:48 PM   #44
JoeSixpack

The 92 would make a good home defense gun, You can conceal it but it is large for sure.
I carry a Taurus 99 (92 w/adj sights).

You might also look at the Taurus rendition of the 92, If you like what you see You can get them for 330-350 online depending on if you want black or stainless.

I actually prefer the Taurus over the Beretta cause of the frame safety and they shoot and handle the same.

Another gun that might be a better middle ground would be the Cougar.
The Beretta stamped cougars are kinda expensive and discontinued.
But Beretta shipped machines to their subsidiary in Turkey and are now produced under Stoger brand.

They're quite nice and run around 350.. they're the predecessor to the px4, little more compact then the 92, all metal.
Old August 25, 2017, 01:50 PM   #45
roashooter

the Px4 or the 92FS would be much better pick than a Taurus...
Old August 25, 2017, 02:35 PM   #46
TailGator

Quote:
I just kept going back to the Beretta 92FS. I liked the all metal design. It just felt and looked great and has a good reputation. I realize that the others are much better if I were to ever want to CCW. Not sure what to do but my gut tells me to get the 92 for home defense and then worry about a larger capacity ccw, like the px4 sub compact, if and when my university ever allows ccw.
I like the 92 a lot, too, for all the reasons you said. There's just something that feels right about that gun. It's my wife's favorite pistol to shoot, too. It really is hard to beat for a HD pistol. Mine has been very highly reliable - don't remember a single stop without an ammo problem.

A few people carry it concealed, but most are like you and me and find it too big. (I'm on the small side and can't conceal it as well as I would like.) The PX4 line could serve you well there, if you want the same trigger and safety setup in your carry pistol and your home pistol. Be aware, when the time comes for that purchase, that the subcompact does not have the rotating barrel system like its big brothers, so recoil might step up a shade.
Old August 25, 2017, 02:55 PM   #47
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter View Post
the Px4 or the 92FS would be much better pick than a Taurus...
Depends, If you like a frame safety and don't have wads of money laying around to pick up a limited edition Beretta your only choice is a Taurus.

Also the Taurus comes standard with a rail where as the plain Jane 92 does not.

Unless they changed their policy I think Beretta only warranties for a year unless you register then it's 2 years.. The Taurus has a life time warranty.

The Taurus is at least 150 dollars cheaper and shoots the same.
Comes standard with 17rnd mags.

I think the 92fs still comes with 15's

My Beretta is pretty but it just sits at home collecting dust the Taurus is what I prefer to shoot and carry..

But to each his own.
Old August 26, 2017, 12:02 PM   #48
Tomac

OP, have you looked at the SIG SP2022? Very good DA/SA trigger and is right at that sweet spot (for me, anyways) that's big enough to shoot well but small/light enough to carry comfortably.

Tomac
Old August 26, 2017, 04:19 PM   #49
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I am currently looking for a carry/home defense gun that holds around 15 rounds. Similar to a G19 but something with a safety. This gun would mostly be for home defense but for winter carry too. I like the size, capacity, and reliability record of the G19 but I am done with Glocks until they have a manual safety...so what are my options?
I happen to be evaluating choices, too.

One requirement for me is that each pull on the trigger be the same.

I'm looking at the Ruger American and the 12-round Ruger American Compact (12 rounds), for which manual safeties are available, and at the FN 509. A manual safety will be available for the 509, later.

The selection may come down to the effort required to rack the slide.

I have not yet decided whether to choose a manual safety. They do have their distinct disadvantages.

FN reportedly put a million rounds through the 509 before releasing it.
Old August 26, 2017, 04:36 PM   #50
Atonal

Looking for a carry/home defense pistol

Sig P250 Compact
Long but smooth double action only hammer fired pistol and holds 15 + 1