The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2014, 01:56 PM   #1
P71pilot

what to do with my k31?

I recently traded another rifle for a swiss k31 carbine in 7.5x55. I have shot about 60rds through the rifle so far and love it; except for 2 major things
The sights- I have a lot of trouble seeing the front sight on this rifle, I wonder if anyone makes aftermarket front sights or would I be better off painting the tip or adding a drop of brightly colored paint?
The stock- to me ruins the rifle, mine in particular looks like a beaver got ahold of it and also it has 3 or more cracks in the rear most section, cheek rest area. Does anybody know of a synthetic stock available or a new wooden one that doesn't cost as much as the rifle? This stock is beyond refinishable, the cracks really bother me, I am all about strength and structural integrity, this fine rifle may be dangerous to fire! Who knows when the cracks will finally split?
Old December 9, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Stocks with cracks are easily fixed with one of the needle style epoxy applicators and a clamp. However, Gunparts wants $54.60 for an original, used, serviceable condition stock without metal. Listed under Schmidt Rubin.
Boyd's wants $144 for a new semi-inletted unfinished walnut stock. Also listed under Schmidt Rubin.
Trouble seeing the front sight caused by your eyes, the target colour, the light conditions or both? Whiteout, nail polish or model paint will fix it without reducing the rifle's value.
Old December 9, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3
bumnote

I painted the front sight of mine w/ orange model paint and it helps.
One thing I've noticed about the front sight on the K31's, if you line up the dog-ears of the sight guard with the notch in the rear sight...it's close to being on target. At least to my eyes. I've wondered if that was by design, as sort of a quick combat targeting method. When I lose the front sight post, it's what I do. There are diopter sights for the rifle made by Swiss Products, I have them...just haven't put them on.
There also make a clamp-on scope mount that's supposed to work very well.
Check under the stock buttplate, the name and address of the soldier it was issued to may on a tag place there.
The stocks are the drawback, my rifle was purchased by the soldier it was issued to when he retired, so thankfully they're in good shape. But I've seen many K-31's that the stocks were in poor condition, but the barrel and receiver finish were in like new condition.

Last edited by bumnote; December 10, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old December 10, 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
zfk55

It it's truly beyond repair, then a new or used stock is the answer. We do manufacture those stocks but they're not for sale to the public and our demand contract is in Europe, so I can't help with that part, but........... For the front sight, go to any commercial sign shop and ask for a small strip of 1" reflective yellow. You'll need to clean the front edge (toward you) and the top with alcohol. Follow up with a dry cloth.

The adhesive on the back of the reflective film will bond with the steel and give you a perfect sight picture.
If you find that the blade is too wide for your eyes, simply cut a thinner strip of film and center it in the flats of the blade. If you can't find the film, shoot me an email and I'll have one of the girls drop some in an envelope and send it to you.

If you have good closeups of the stock cracks, I'm betting that I can assist with a rock solid repair. Repairs are generally stronger than the wood around the cracks.

We manufacture all sorts of Swiss Rifle accessories, but we cannot sell direct to the public. Go here.....
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...Swiss+Products Or to Brownells. Graf's carries the full line.

P

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Tags
7.5x55 , k31 , swiss