The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
CombustibleLemon

Identification, information, and possible values of two pistols

I have recently acquired a couple of pretty old pistols in trade. Both are revolvers. The first is a French Military service revolver from the 1800's and that is all the information I was able to track down about it. The second revolver, the pocket sized one with the folding trigger, I have no idea what it is or where it came from. It has an R with a crown over it, and right under that a W with a star over it. I think it is Belgian in origin and the W is the inspector? Any help would be very much appreciated as I try to figure out what I have. Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.jpg (192.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (191.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0996.jpg (77.9 KB, 59 views)
Old May 22, 2012, 01:22 AM   #2
gyvel

The first two pics are of an 11mm French 1874 Modele d'Officier. It is mechanically identical to the Modele 1873 Chamelot Delvigne, but lightened and blued with cylinder flutes. It was specifically designed for officers to carry.

Current value depends on condition, which can be substantial, and some better photos with better lighting and less close ups would be valuable in determining a value.

The other one looks like a typical late 19th century nondescript folding trigger revolver which were made by the tens of thousands in Belgium, Spain, Germany, etc. Generally they might fetch $100.00 to the right person.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
CombustibleLemon

Thanks a lot for your reply gyvel. The french revolver is in near mint condition. It is in such good condition in fact that I thought it was just a model 1874 like the 1911 or some such. Do you have any idea what a revolver like that in really good condition may be worth?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Winchester_73

Quote:
Do you have any idea what a revolver like that in really good condition may be worth?
I'm pretty sure on gunbroker they bring $700 or so well used partly because they are an antique. If yours is all correct, and looks that good, I would say $1000+

Last edited by Winchester_73; May 23, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
CombustibleLemon

Thank you very much Winchester. Yep it is correct. And all the serial # stamped parts match up.

I am have been doing a little more research now that I know what to type lol. I found a 1874 Chamelot Delvigne Revolver for sell on gunbroker. But these are the civilian copies. Wouldn't a french military officers revolver be worth more than a civilian copy?
Old May 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
gyvel

I have an 1874 identical to yours, and in unfired condition. While I haven't given any thought to selling it at the present, I wouldn't let it go for less than $850.00-900.00, possibly more.

Regarding what you see on Gunbroker, the proof of the pudding is what examples that have actually sold went for.

I just looked up the one you are referring to, and that guy is not noted for his "bargain prices." Nevertheless, an example that was for commercial production would tend to be much rarer than one produced for military issue, and would most likely be more desirable to a collector.

Last edited by gyvel; May 22, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
CombustibleLemon

Thank you very much gyvel you have been more than helpful. I really appreciate both of you guys taking the time to reply to this. Thanks
Old May 24, 2012, 12:21 AM   #8
gyvel

Glad to help.

I don't know if you just want to resell the gun or keep it for your collection, but I have been told that you can make brass for it by trimming and resizing .44 Special brass, and using a Lyman 42798 bullet, with 14 or 15 grains of FFFg black powder.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
gyvel

After doing a little more browsing, I came to the conclusion that your little folding trigger revolver is probably worth more than what I said.

I looked at some similar examples on Gunbroker, and these seem to generate some decent bids, especially in the condition that yours is in. (It looked to be pretty decent to me.)