The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
DaveTrig

Beretta 424, stock twisted for lefties

I have a buddy getting rid of a Beretta 424 SxS that belonged to his father. I'm either going to buy it for myself or resell it. The 'twist' (ha ha) is that his father was left-handed, and he *thinks* his father may have had the stock steamed/twisted to accomodate him. I haven't verified this yet; I've only seen pics of the gun.

Assuming the stock has indeed been been twisted for left-handed use, I have a couple of questions for you shotgun experts:
- Is there anywhere I can still obtain a replacement stock for a 424 SxS?
- If not, has anyone here had a stock twisted (or untwisted) before? Who does that kind of work, and about what should it cost?
- If it turns out not to be feasible to convert back to RH, would you suppose that the value of the gun is generally enhanced or degraded by the LH twist?

Thanks -
Dave
Old April 15, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

The stock needs to be measured to determine exactly how much "CAST" - that's the word you want to use it has. For LH, it will have cast ON, for RH, it has cast OFF. Any good stocker can change the cast - whether they can rebend it back to RH, will need to be determined by that person

Pics would be nice, and as a LH, I might be interested on buying it
Old April 15, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
DaveTrig

Thanks for the correction and the info. If I decide to sell, I'll let you know and make pics available. Not going down to see him until next month, though.

Thanks again -
Dave
Old April 18, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
BigJimP

Experienced woodworkers or stockmakers ....that want to bend wood ....create any number of homemade steamer operations ( propane fired often - using large plastic pipe that you can get caps for, to hold the steam ) put the wood in, steam it for some inexact time (by trial and error) - bend it..../ the question is, how many pieces crack ?? ( usually a lot )..
---------
I've experimented with some blanks that I had turned into pepper mills..and then wanted to add a little artistic twist to them...and about 75% of them cracked, so I gave it up.../ some of my buddies claim better results...
---------
some species bend better than others....and walnut will probably work out ok.../ its less brittle than some species in my opinion.

What will it cost...?? Will they guarantee or warantee that it won't crack ( I doubt it )...
---------
Replacing the stock will cost you more than the gun is worth ( maybe
$ 1,500 if you can find one). It would be cheaper to buy 2 guns and canibalize the stock parts you need. In my area, those SXS's sell for under $ 750 in reasonable condition - but I don't see a lot of the around.
Old April 18, 2013, 04:39 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Another thong to add to Jim's words - even IF they can bend back to neutral and then with cast off, there's no guarantee that it will hold that bend and not try to move back.

Some of the other methods I have seen involve hot oil and heat guns with damp cloths.

Before spending the money, you might have a good stocker measure you so you know what dimensions you need so you have them if you decide to just have someone make you a custom stock

Check with Cole's - they are the Beretta gurus and have some drop-dead gorgeous wood
Old April 19, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
BigJimP

BigDin is right .....if you wanted to try to bend the stock a little on your own...you could try damp towels and using an elec steam iron apply some heat to the area....and while that can be a good way to remove 'dents' from stocks....I don't know if you'll be able to get enough flexibility in the stock to actually get the stock to move and stay put.

But part of the bending process ...is to bend it far enough that it doesn't crack and then wrap it tight with big rubber bands or straps and let it cool and see how much it moves back. Its a process that takes a lot of patience ( something I rarely have ).

And before you go down this path....take the gun to the pattern board and see what you're point of impact for it is at 21 yds or so. It may be just fine.

I 2nd his comment on wood from Cole's...even if they don't show anything on their website they may have something used...that a guy traded in / to have new wood put on because the standard stock had too much drop at comb and heel or was way too short. A lot of these SXS's don't fit us "big" guys too well...