The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2009, 02:43 PM   #26
David Wile

Hey Rusty,

The picture of those 6.5s has nothing to do with finding fault with any crimping or seating die. The problem with those 6.5s is that they never should have been crimped in the first place since they do not have a cannelure. Folks just get too crimp happy. I know there are a lot of folks who tell you that they can use a Lee FCD to crimp a jacketed bullet that has no cannelure. Well yes, that picture shows it can be done, but why would anyone want to crimp a perfectly good jacketed bullet that has no cannelure? You just turn it into a deformed bullet as shown in the picture. Adjusting the Lee FCD for a little less crimp in not the answer. The answer is to not crimp those bullets with the Lee FCD or with a regular seating/crimping die.

If you absolutely need a crimp on a bullet, get a bullet that has a cannelure for crimping. If you cannot get a bullet that has a cannelure, then get a tool that makes a cannelure before crimping - and I do not mean a Lee FCD. The Lee FCD does not make a cannelure; it makes a deformed bullet. It is as simple as that.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old May 20, 2009, 06:08 PM   #27
Shaun_300

I only use the FCD for bullets with the cannelure, so far only the 117gr BTSP Interlock from Hornady for my .25-06. I've always read that there is no need or point of crimping if the bullet does not have the cannelure. I've only been reloading for a couple months so I'm no expert either. I've never had a problem yet with any of them. There has always seemed to be plenty of "grab" on the bullets i've seated in all of my calibers when putting the bullets into the cases.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:49 PM   #28
CrustyFN

Quote:
Hey Rusty,

The picture of those 6.5s has nothing to do with finding fault with any crimping or seating die. The problem with those 6.5s is that they never should have been crimped in the first place since they do not have a cannelure.
Yes I realize that. I guess the point I was trying to make was if the ammo comes out of the press bad don't blame the dies or press, blame the handle nut.

Rusty
Old May 20, 2009, 07:27 PM   #29
David Wile

Hey Rusty,

Handle nut. That's a new one for me, and I like that. If I do something wrong, I can tell my wife it was because of the handle nut. I'll have to try that out. I just hope I don't forget it by the time I get out to the kitchen for whatever reason I was going there.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old May 28, 2009, 07:36 PM   #30
2doerdie

OK, so if I have this right, i do not need to crimp my 9mm JHP rounds in my turret press, the seating die is where i should stop?
Old May 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #31
CrustyFN

You will want just enough crimp to get rid of the flair the powder/expander die put in. You can do that with the seating die or the FCD.
Rusty
Old May 29, 2009, 02:43 PM   #32
Well Regulated

How does an impact bullet puller work? It works by inertia when the cartridge is held in place and forward momentum is abruptly stopped. The same thing happens on a semi-auto rifle. If you don't crimp the bullet, it will move forward just like an impact bullet puller.