The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about Taurus?
Like, through experience? 65 41.40%
Dislike, through experience? 64 40.76%
Like, from info from the outside? 3 1.91%
Dislike, from info from the outside? 11 7.01%
Like, from what you read on the Internet? 2 1.27%
Dislike, from what you read on the Internet? 17 10.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 15, 2012, 02:02 PM   #126
P5 Guy

For not much more money I would buy a Ruger. An American owned and operated corporation, as Tauras is South American.
And Rugers are or at least were better quality, I haven't owned either for some time now.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:34 PM   #127
MLeake

A critical part breaking after "hundreds of rounds" fired is not exactly cause for praise. At least in your case CS seems to have been on the ball.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:46 PM   #128
jeepstrapped

Nope.

Have a 24/7 OSS in .40 s&w.

Works just fine, no issues, no failure to fires. It's more accurate than I am. It feels right in my hand. Bought it to replace a Glock I just didn't like. Note: I don't bash Glocks, they just aren't my thing.

For what it's worth, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the "bashing" that goes on be it manufacturer or caliber. My take is, everyone has different tastes and likes different things.

I will confess to one issue I have. I absolutely refuse to buy a Remington made Marlin and I want a 45/70 lever in the worst way.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:19 PM   #129
tweaker

Bought a Judge as a fun range toy / anti car jacking truck gun.

Cylinder fell clean out of the gun while on concrete. Bent the crap out of the ejection rod.

Taurus refused to pay for shipping back to factory.

LGS told me they stopped carrying Taurii because they are sick of being the point of contact and middle man for so many similarly unhappy sales.

Lesson learned. Crap guns.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:00 PM   #130
Edward429451

I have bashed Taurus a little, mostly in fun. I have a friend who has had several Taurus guns and had multiple problems. That's enough for me to not ever want one.

Lee could buy Taurus and their reputation wouldn't go up or down, lol.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:31 PM   #131
Kermit

i've had 2 tauri handguns - one semi auto, one wheelgun
1st the s/a -- it was my first gun. i was so excited to get it, hold & go shooting with it. it was one of their first 380's and a total POS. it was too big, too clunky but the sights were too small and hard to acquire. the trigger was very long & gritty - i sold it to get my 2nd gun ever & that gun is still with me
2nd is one of their first mod 94's -- a 22lr wheelgun. this too has one of the nastiest triggers i've have had - long & heavy one of the funniest things about this gun is its "self adjusting sights" i thought it was just me but several shooting buddies noticed that in the course of a range session, the rear sight would move left & right. I have ended up keeping this gun. Over the years, I have abused the snot out of this gun simply because I didn't care what happened to it...BUT...I learned to shoot DAO using this gun. I've put ten's of thousands of rounds through this gun and have had a lot of fun with it and as a result of shooting that POS trigger, every other DAO trigger I've shot has been easy & nicer to use
Old December 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #132
Bamashooter

I ve carried my PT-145 Pro for nearly 5yrs. It has thousands of rounds downrange without one single malfunction. Its my everyday carry. It holds 10rds of .45 acp in a very thin, lightweight package. I completely trust this handgun. I dont care what the internet and gun counter commando's think of this brand. I know it works and works well.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:59 PM   #133
rduckwor

Experience. PT1911. Went back twice. The third time I just told them to return a check tor the purchase costs. They did.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:53 AM   #134
shootniron

Because, I have had miserable experience with 2 new Taurus revolvers.

I must not be the only one to have a bad experience in my area as one LGS kicked them out of his shop due to so many returns and poor CS.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #135
PT-92

I have four Taurus guns (92, 22,25 and 24/7) and have not had a problem.

If you count my recently purchased Heritage SA Rough Rider revolver (I was in a cowboy mood ) then I now have five perfectly functioning Taurus products. I will admit, however, I have only shot two boxes on ammo so far through the revolver so the 'jury is still out' as I have a 500-1000 round limit prior to singing victory (I need to search and see if there's an exisiting thread on 'what constitutes sufficent round count' that translates into certified reliability).

-Happy Holidays
Old December 17, 2012, 03:21 PM   #136
MLeake

500-1000 rounds is two or three range sessions for me, and one session for some. That is a low bar for singing victory.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:16 PM   #137
ljnowell

Quote:
I ve carried my PT-145 Pro for nearly 5yrs. It has thousands of rounds downrange without one single malfunction. Its my everyday carry. It holds 10rds of .45 acp in a very thin, lightweight package. I completely trust this handgun. I dont care what the internet and gun counter commando's think of this brand. I know it works and works well.
So because of your single experience everyone that posted thier experiences here are either A) lying(it seems thats what you implied or B)A "commando" that is repeating what others say and/or lying

Did I miss anything?
Old December 17, 2012, 05:21 PM   #138
Bamashooter

ljnowell... As a matter of fact you missed alot. I completely trust my Taurus. Not a lie. I dont give a damn what gun snob gun counter commando's think of Taurus. Not a lie. I would be willing to bet that half the people bashing Taurus have never owned one. Then you have the gun counter commando who ''knows everything'' about guns because his uncle let him work part time in his LGS. Im just letting the people who are interested that my experience with Taurus has been 100% positive.I have no idea where you came up with the crap you did unless you hate Taurus so much you hate to see one of their handguns be a solid, reliable shooter. Your problem, not mine.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #139
PT-92

Wow these threads get out of hand more so than adolescents in a candy store...

Last year my cousin was looking for an "affordable" 1911 and one of my recs was the PT1911. I showed him the youtube Torture Test just for reference and he was impressed--He liked the feel/fit/price and bought it and it has been great for him (and the few times I have shot it as well).

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HYgTWAsg

-Happy Holidays
Old December 17, 2012, 07:27 PM   #140
PetreTG

All my Taurus are Revolvers ... all have been flawless.

Can't speak on the pistols.

Do I bash Taurus ... heck no.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:43 AM   #141
ljnowell

Quote:
ljnowell... As a matter of fact you missed alot. I completely trust my Taurus. Not a lie. I dont give a damn what gun snob gun counter commando's think of Taurus. Not a lie. I would be willing to bet that half the people bashing Taurus have never owned one. Then you have the gun counter commando who ''knows everything'' about guns because his uncle let him work part time in his LGS. Im just letting the people who are interested that my experience with Taurus has been 100% positive.I have no idea where you came up with the crap you did unless you hate Taurus so much you hate to see one of their handguns be a solid, reliable shooter. Your problem, not mine.
Yep, that answered my questions. As usual there is that 25% of Taurus owners that feel the need to be offensive about thier ownership of them, to the point of belittling the people who buy them and get a bad one.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:52 AM   #142
bonefamily

^^ From looking at the top of the page, it appears that the Like to Dislike (from experience) is pretty even with the Likes stepping just ahead - not just 25%.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:23 AM   #143
MLeake

Bamashooter, statistically speaking, a study sample of one has no validity.

For you, personally, it is just great, and we are happy for you.

For gun owners looking at the big picture, your excellent pistol is only a small piece of a much bigger picture.

Either you don't understand statistics, or else you really like confrontational speech.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:16 PM   #144
Bamashooter

You guys have a nice day. Im going to shoot my awesome taurus.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #145
PT-92

Quote:
Bamashooter

You guys have a nice day. Im going to shoot my awesome taurus...
You beat me to it--I'm off to the range in about 60min to fire my new Heritage Rough Rider (took me until my 40's to enjoy "Cowboy" guns--bought a Henry Frontier last week as well). The Heritage only counts as a Taurus in so much as Taurus just bought them out last Summer but the second half of 2nite we be spent shooting my 100% Taurus 24/7 OSS .

-Happy Holidays
Old December 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #146
Bamashooter

PT-92....... I didnt know heritage was bought out by Taurus. Thats cool. I have a heritage .22lr/22mag single action revolver that I bought about 3yrs ago to go with my Henry 22lr. I really enjoy both of those guns. Hope you like the new heritage. BTW the PT-145 was flawless again with 100 more rounds down range.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:39 PM   #147
Ghost1958

Have a pt 945. I dont count rounds but its been shot the heck out of. Only issue was the rear dove tail sight fell out one time when the pistol was dropped on hardwood. Put it back in, it was tight to get in like it should be. No firing failures ejection failures nothing. Feeds anything you put in it.

Also a Taurus 840. Bought new, same deal. Feeds anything you put in it, zero issues.
Both shoot well and accurate. Next up ruger sr9c. Borrowed one loved the way it feels carries and shoots. Now to save up the nickels for one
Old December 19, 2012, 07:43 AM   #148
PT-92

Quote:
Bamashooter

PT-92....... I didnt know heritage was bought out by Taurus. Thats cool. I have a heritage .22lr/22mag single action revolver that I bought about 3yrs ago to go with my Henry 22lr. I really enjoy both of those guns. Hope you like the new heritage. BTW the PT-145 was flawless again with 100 more rounds down range.
Hey Bamashooter,

Yeah--That's a fun SA revolver no doubt. Here's the link to the buyout story:

http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=41

Old December 19, 2012, 08:17 AM   #149
alex0535

I just killed a squirrel with my Taurus Tracker .17 HMR for the first time. First squirrel I have ever shot with a handgun, certainly won't be the last.

I can't bash something that does its job, and does it pretty well.