The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 25, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
jlb43

Shipping UPS

For what it is worth, I just got off the phone with some supervisor at UPS regarding shipping a black powder replica revolver from private residence to private residence. He said emphatically that UPS forbids such shipments. He said they have arrangements with companies such as Bass Pro etc. and the manufacturers to ship these items but unlicensed private parties cannot use UPS unless they are returning a gun to the manufacturer or company. What the ATF says does not concern UPS, this is their rule.

I don't know if he knows what he is talking about but he did not waiver.
Old July 25, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

It's nonsense. Typical industrial ignorance. Ignore Idiots. Why in the world would you call them to begin with? Pack your box, pay your shipping charge, keep your mouth shut, and forget it. What's the worst they can do?

Willie

Old July 25, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
noelf2

Quote:
He said they have arrangements with companies such as Bass Pro etc. and the manufacturers to ship these items but unlicensed private parties cannot use UPS unless they are returning a gun to the manufacturer or company.
What kind of license did he say is required? I have a driver's license..
Old July 25, 2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Don H

You aren't shipping a firearm so UPS's firearms policies don't apply. UPS relies on the Federal definition of firearms for their policies. A black powder replica isn't a firearm. You are shipping machine parts.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html
Old July 25, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
TomADC

Just use the post office, especially if if it fits in a flat rate box.
Old July 25, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Yup!

What Tom Said.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
tatartot

Don H is right on, this matter.A black powder gun is not listed
under law as a fire arm.I have sent more than one by UPS.The
guy does not know the law.

UPS says NO FIRE ARM, any a black powder gun under law
is not a fire arm.Why even ask, just send it,Dang!

Tatar
Old July 25, 2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Not to be argumentative but....

UPS (as far as I know) is not bound by the federal definition of the word "firearm" nor are they required to abide by the policies of the USPS. I guess I am saying, they get to decide what is a fire arm and what is not.

Tatar, If you shipped a BP replica via UPS with their full knowledge that it was a BP replica, then we have two different UPS folks who have two different understandings of UPS policy.

Please understand, I am not disagreeing with the possibility that the UPS wheeny was an ignoramus. Perhaps he is and also perhaps he does not understand UPS policy.

As for the word "License" there are hundreds of corporations which issue licenses for this or that and I think it is completely believable that UPS would have licensing agreements with shippers including licenses which cover the shipment of firearms (Their definition).

It is for this reason that I don't argue with them, I just don't use them to ship anything, I say again, ANYTHING.

USPS flat rate boxes are IMNSHO the best way to ship black power replica revolvers.
Old July 25, 2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

For a number of years I shipped C&B revolvers via UPS without any hassle from the local UPS store. When their prices went up, I switched to the Post Office for all my shipping. Flat rate Priority mailer & insured generally costs under $20.00 depending on insurance amount. A Navy Arms L&R in the box will ship Priority for $15.20, insured for $275 with electronic return receipt. And it'll get to the destination in 2 days.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; July 25, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old July 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Strafer Gott

If UPS doesn't want my business, I'm prone to agree with them. USPS here we come! Thanks for the info Fingers!
Old July 25, 2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
UPS (as far as I know) is not bound by the federal definition of the word "firearm" nor are they required to abide by the policies of the USPS. I guess I am saying, they get to decide what is a fire arm and what is not.
From the UPS link I posted above:
Quote:
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation...
Quote:
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation...
Old July 25, 2012, 07:32 PM   #12
jlb43

All I know is what I know. Nowhere can I find anything, in writing or otherwise, from UPS or FedEx that actually says they will accept a black powder replica REVOLVER for shipment from any unlicensed (FFL) person to another unlicensed (FFL) person. Simply citeing the ATF regulations does not change that and if you read the UPS rules you will not see REPLICA mentioned anywhere I can see. This dude told me that if it uses an explosion to propel a projectile then as far as UPS is concerned it is a firearm and if it is a handgun then the reciever has to be an FFL. Just because the ATF does not consider replicas to be firearms does not mean UPS cannot refuse to treat them as firearms. They make THEIR policies according to THEIR legal eagles and that is the name of that tune. I personally don't care who chooses to ignore this and uses UPS to ship from one person to another. I can tell you that UPS does check packages from time to time mainly for illegal drugs. I for one, am not going to be the one who gets accidently snared by some over zealous employee looking to make brownie points. As to what are they going to do about it?, I will not be the one to find out. I have better things to occupy my time than getting into a ******* match with UPS. What anyone else does is their business. I wish you well.

I checked with the post office and their regulations specifically say you CAN use them to mail replicas of antique guns that use black powder. Needless to say that is who I will be using from now on.
Old July 25, 2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Hawg

It depends on the people working there. Here the Postmaster refuses to accept bp guns. UPS is only open one hour a day and the one in the next town refuses to ship guns unless you have an FFL. Fedex wants 116.00 to overnight or they won't ship. Local gunshop charges 25.00 and ships it through UPS.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

DonH

Good job.

Your post enlightens us as to how the UPS defines the word "Firearm". They choose (we assume universally and consistently) to define it as the government does.

My point was that (while I did not know which was true) they could either simply accept the government's definition, or choose to define "firearm" in a more restrictive way as we were told by the OP that one of their underinformed representatives did.

Your information also confirms which of the UPS people were in the wrong.

A representative who refuses to accept a BP replica for shipment on the strength of the argument that if is a "firearm" under federal law is misinformed and not acting in acordance with thpolicy established by UPS. As we all know and as several have testified, it may be of no assistance to point this out to the representative if that person is convinced they are right.

This is why I go to the post office and use a flat rate box. The post office wheeny nevers asks what the item is, they ask what is isn't. Since BP replicas are never among the things the skirt asks about, I ship with impunity.

Dozens of times and never more than 11.00 including a Walker.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
jlb43

Using my local FFL pawn shop is a good idea. I will see if he is agreeable. You may have seen this before so I apoligize for repeating but these paragraphs from the USPS regulations make it pretty clear that you can legally use the post office for bp handguns.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms

11.1.1 Definitions

g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

11.2 Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Willie Sutton

Boy.. I can see why people have problems: They make up problems where none exist.

If you KNOW it's legal to mail something, MAIL IT.

If you KNOW it's legal to ships something UPS, SHIP IT.

If you are in compliance with UPS Policy... ship and don't sweat it.

If you are NOT in compliance with UPS policy, there is NOTHING that they can do to you... there are no "UPS Police"... What are they going to do? Pitch a fit?

When you ship BP stuff, keep your mouth shut and hand over the box. NOBODY needs to know what is in the box. They do not ask... don't tell! They don't X-ray the stuff... just send it. I received two BP replicas *yesterday*. One was sent UPS and one was sent USPS. No hassle to shipper or recipient.

Why cause yourself a problem when none exists? Try not talking...

Willie

Old July 26, 2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Hardcase

According to UPS's tarriffs and terms of service, the company defines firearms in accordance with Title 18 Chapter 44, just like the Post Office does. There aren't any special rules for black powder guns, just like with the Post Office.

But, just like the Post Office, you have to get past the "gatekeeper" who may not understand the rules. I went through something similar at the Post Office when nobody, not even the postmaster, had a clear handle on how to ship a firearm. Fortunately, they were willing to learn and review the regulations with me, so it worked out.

My advice? Ship your black powder revolver with UPS if you want. Personally, I'd go with USPS because Priority Mail is faster, cheaper and extremely reliable.

Here is a link to the relevant rules: http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf
Old July 26, 2012, 12:05 PM   #18
FrontierGander

you can ship a firearm directly through the UPS main office in your area, smaller UPS stores can not accept 3rd party transfers though due to ups being afraid their employees will steal the package like they had been caught doing years ago.
Old July 26, 2012, 12:20 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another vote for the

USPS flat rate box. Print the label and pay for it online. It's cheaper than paying for it at the counter.
Old July 26, 2012, 01:42 PM   #20
arcticap

I've shipped every kind of muzzle loader by UPS and Fedex.
Fedex clearly told me that muzzle loaders are classified as "non-firearm weapons" which allows them to be shipped through most every local Fedex store.
They also told me to call the local store first to verify that it's okay with them which I've done.
Depending on which UPS clerk is working, they'll check the rules or call about anything questionable that's being shipped to determine its eligibility first and I've never had a muzzle loader rejected from a full UPS customer service center which is where the truck terminal is located.
UPS asks the shipper to declare the contents of the package while Fedex doesn't. But the same rules basically apply and that is that they are non-firearm weapons.
I've been through the same routine with nearly every local postal clerk too and so now most of them are aware of the rules about shipping them.
When there's a new clerk they will sometimes need to be instructed. But maybe the folks at the UPS national info. line are hit and miss when it comes to giving out the correct info..
The Fedex and the USPS info. line people are usually pretty accurate.

Last edited by arcticap; July 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Rachen

I ship/receive black powder revolvers and rifles by UPS all the time.
A lot, and I mean A LOT of people working in the industry are not familiar with the laws. And for many of them, this job is the only job they have, or can obtain in their area, so they DO NOT want to make mistakes. They rather be safe than sorry and risk losing their only income source.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #22
shurshot

I went through this with UPS a decade or so ago pertaining to AIR PISTOLS. One "Lady" in South Portland Maine refused to ship it unless I was an FFL dealer. "A handgun is a handgun", or so I was told in a very blunt manner. The "gun" was a 1930's vintage Benjamin air pistol I was trying to send out for a new valve. I tried to explain the GCA of 68 to her and the definition of a firearm, to no avail.
After writing to several higher ups in Corporate and threatening to get an NRA boycott started, they fixed the issue... REAL QUICK. She was VERY tight lipped when I returned and would not make eye contact as she accepted my air pistol.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:09 AM   #23
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
Why cause yourself a problem when none exists? Try not talking
Amen. Even a dumb fish wouldn't get in trouble, if it would only keep it's big mouth SHUT.

Under USPS Regs, there's NO obligation to disclose the contents of ANY parcel, beyond answering the questions every USPS Postal Clerk is supposed to ask of every parcel mailer: "Are the contents flammable, explosive, fragile, perishable or hazardous ?"

If YOU know what you're doing is legal, do it w/o a fuss.

Old August 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #24
tripe1917

I had the same issue with my local post office. The clerks wouldn't ship it and I explained the definition of firearm and Texas rules governing shipping. She cited the clause if the antique firearm is a curio or for a museum and since I was shipping it to a gunsmith, that wasn't a museum. I went to another post office and the same thing occurred. I finally talked to the office manager and he said don't describe the contents and ship go ahead and ship it. I did and had no problem getting the pistol to its destination. I just worry if the package is lost, how do you collect your refund if it was insured and you are asked what was in the package.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:35 PM   #25
mykeal

Quote:
how do you collect your refund if it was insured and you are asked what was in the package.
You file the claim based on the value of the package, not what was in it. And even if they do ask about the contents it wasn't illegal in the first place so there's nothing they can do about it, the stupidity of two clerks notwithstanding.

Frankly, if I were you'd I'd be filing a formal complaint against the two clerks with the Post Office Inspector General. If they ever do that again, demand a complaint form - they have to give you one and provide a receipt for it when you turn it in. And be sure to get their names along with the form.