The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

want to buy a lee set, but......

What the heck die set do I get???? I got the abc's of reloading book from the library and started reading it and am still confused.

Someone said the deluxe set. But looking at the cabelas mag I don't see it I see a pace setter, lee collet, lee crimp die and a sizing die. Does the deluxe set come with every die that I need???? The only place I saw the deluxe set was on the Lee website..

I will be reloading only 223 and 270wsm.

Thanks for your help again.
Old December 27, 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
jsflagstad

All of the Dies you have mentioned will do the job, it just depends on how you want it done. Some only neck size, some full length size and some have the factory crimp die in the kit as well.

I have used all brands of dies, and I have found that Lee has worked best for me. You get by with a cheap as $11 with the 2 die RGB (Really Good Buy), to the deluxe set at a little over 2x that amount. I just bought the RGB set for my 22-250 and it seems to work fine. If you are just reloading for one gun and you want the best in accuracy, I would recomment just neck sizing the brass after fire forming it. I believe the deluxe set will guve you the option to full length or neck size the cases. If you are going to reload for multiple rifles in one caliber you will need to full length size the brass, and I would also then recommend a factory crimp die to you as well.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if I can further explain for you.

JSF
Old December 27, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
goose2w1

Look at Midwayusa.com under the reloading section. Search out lee dies in the caliber you want to help narrow down a set you like.
Old December 27, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
John C

Will your reloaded rounds be shot only in the rifle in which the factory ammo was shot? Are these rifles semi-auto or other? If you're shooting these rounds through more than one rifle or in a semi auto, you'll want to full length resize. If not, you'll have good luck just neck sizing with a lee collet die. The difference is what it sounds like. The full length sizing brings the whole case back down to size, whereas neck sizing only sizes the neck. This leaves the case body the size of your specific chamber. Many reloaders feel this makes the reloads more accurate. However, chamber tolerances differ between rifles, and semi-autos need uniform sizing for best operation.

If you're unsure, you can't go wrong with with a RGB or deluxe set. They will load excellent ammunition, and then if you're into expirimenting, you can get a set of collet dies later.

I hope this helps.

-John
Old December 27, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Kato_Guy

I will be reloading for my own rifle. And maybe for my brother's eventually. so if I go buy a set of dies I would ONLY have to get the collet dies and that will size and seat the bullet, or do I have to get the pace setter and the collets???

I tried looking in that book but its a lot of of off subject stuff I would like a book that tells me what I need. Maybe I should just go talk to someone. Thanks for all your help tho everyone!!!
Old December 27, 2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Kato_Guy

I was looking on midway site and kinda got it figured out thanks for answering quick everyone

Now I better go spend some time with the wife before she won't let me buy this stuff!!!!!

One more question first... I have a 270wsm I have noticed on a few of the factory loads I shoot the case expands/bulges out and is a little hard to cycle the bolt is. It is only with federal factory ammo. Can that be resized with a full length case, if I have problems with that on the new brass or will the case get stuck in the die?? Or would it be ok to reload with a bulged case( I wouldn't think so but I am a rookie)

let me know what I think
Old December 27, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7
skeeter1

Let me preface this by saying that the only things I reload are straight-sided handgun cartridges.

My experience with Lee products has been very good, with one exception -- the collets on their dies. They keep slipping out of place. I ended up getting some Hornady locking collets (either from Midway or Cheaperthandirt, I can't remember which) but they were only $3 each.

One little tip I'll give: Spend a little time and waste a few bullets and brass (no primers or powder) to get your dies adjusted properly. I ruined three shells before I got them adjusted just right, and on the fourth try I got the "perfect" .38Spl that I keep around for reference.

Enjoy your reloading. It beats watching reruns on TV!
Old December 27, 2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Kato_Guy

yea I think I have a pretty good grast on everything except tthe whole thing about seating depth.. But I am going to call a gunsmith that I bought my 223 from and ask him If he can teach me a few things!!!

Thanks!!!
Kyle

Long Live the WSM!!!
Old December 28, 2006, 02:15 AM   #9
guntotin_fool

I am assuming from your name you are in mankato or the area, two places I would really really recommend you visit, either ahlmans down in morristown, or come up to the cities and visit Gunstop in Mtnka. Gunstop is half owned by John Walton, the single most helpful person you will ever meet when it comes to this. I have been reloading for 20 years, and when i want to confirm something, John is the man.

I would offer you this, if you are going to be getting into reloading more, and by that, i mean thinking bout reloading pistol or other cartridges, spend a lot more money at the start and buy a dillon. the time you save will be unbelievable, the money you save by not having to take a bath on resale of out moded equipment is amazing. and the fun you will have by popping out round after round after round is the best reward.

I Find the dillon system also to be the most fool proof at preventing silly mistakes when you load because you do not have time to be bored with it.

Running 50 cases thru deburring, followed by fifty cases being unprimed, then 50 cases being primed, then 50 cases trimmed to length, then sized, then filled with powder, then seating bullets, vs just setting it up and cranking up 50 loaded rounds. I reloaded .223 tonight, made just under a thousand rounds, Time elapsed from walking in to boxing up was just under 3 hours. for match grade ammo.
Old December 28, 2006, 01:28 PM   #10
amamnn

It's great to see more people getting into the art and science of reloading. I will suggest that if you buy Richard Lee's book "Modern Reloading" you will find it to be money well spent. It is a handy reference to have, even after you've been reloading for a while.