The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 1, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
shepherddogs

223 Suppressor

I'm interested in suppressing an AR 15. Who makes a good reasonably priced unit that's not huge? It doesn't have to be the very best, just somthing to reduce the need for hearing protection. Also, what prices should I expect to pay? Can it serve double duty on 22 LR? Are the parts replaceable or do they have a limited life expectancy? Any info would be appreciated. I used to have a subgun so I'm familiar with the paperwork procedures. I just don't know anything about the suppressors themselves. Thanks SD
Old May 1, 2010, 05:39 PM   #2
SouthCali

Quote:
I'm interested in suppressing an AR 15
i stop reading after that. and shook my head is depression as i live in CA where i can own NEITHER an AR nor a Suppressor.

you guys get cool guns and we get pot.....wanna trade?? lol
Old May 1, 2010, 05:45 PM   #3
1911rocks

Best .223/5.56 Suppressor

My Opinion is Gemtech. I own a Halo as well as as a company supplied G5-T. I can't tell much difference in the level of suppression between the two. I CERTAINLY can tell a difference in the weight. The G5-T weighs ~14 oz as opposed to the Halo at ~21oz. We tried the Thunder Beast .223-A. They weigh about the same as the Halo, though they cost a bit more than the HAlo but less than the G5-T.
The AWC Raider is quite good as well, though, I don't own one. I have "heard" that the Advanced Armament are good, and more reasonably priced.

A piece of advice if you don't need a Full Auto rated suppressor don't pay the extra. If you aren't using one regularly don't pay for the extra cost of a Titanium can (G5-T). Lastly, don't get cheap, get a Bi-lock connector. Both the Gemtech, AWCs and the Thunder Beast are dry types.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:03 PM   #4
shepherddogs

Can you take them apart and clean them? Get replacement parts? I just don't want somthing that will wear out and then I need another tax stamp. I don't need full auto so based on this what would your recommendations be? I have shot some suppressed weapons a few years back but basically know next to nothing about them.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:26 PM   #5
1911rocks

Suppressor Maint.

In response to Shepherddogs question. My Gemtechs each have probably over 15,000+ rounds and the only maint. I've done is put a rubber cork in one end, fill with Hoppes #9,cork other end, shake well, poor out, repeat with denatured alcohol, and let dry say in a warm place.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:35 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

Quote:
It doesn't have to be the very best, just somthing to reduce the need for hearing protection.
I don't have any first-hand experience with suppressors on a .223, but I think they're still loud enough to require hearing protection (although you might be able to get away with single hearing protection if you currently use double hearing protection.)

Also, how long is the barrel on your AR-15? If you're just looking to avoid wearing (as much) hearing protection, I'd hate to spend the money on a can and a tax stamp only to find out that the end result, while quieter than before, is still loud enough to require the same hearing protection you're using now.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
shepherddogs

It will be a 16 inch barrel. The suppressors I shot a few years ago seemed to reduce the sound to around a 22LR, maybe 22 magnum. The guy told me that was the sonic crack I was hearing.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:52 PM   #8
1911rocks

Suppression levels

A suppressed 16" barreled M4 sounds like a non suppressed high velocity 22LR. That is the sound barrier being broken by the projectile. I'm referring to SS109 ammo. There is sub-sonic ammo which eliminates the sonic boom at the sacrifice of velocity.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Crosshair

The Yankee Hill Machine "Phantom" line of suppressors are good.

The Advanced Armament Corp. M4 series are very good as well.

I own a TAC-16 suppressor made by Tactical Innovations. Built like a brick sh*house and can be taken apart. Not the most advanced or best performer. One of the cheapest cans.

Quote:
Can it serve double duty on 22 LR?
Can you use a 22 Hornet to hunt Polar Bear? Yes, but it's not a good idea. The problem is that 22 rimfire is very dirty and will eventually fill the suppressor with lead. Most .233 cans are sealed thus you can't take them apart. They are also much heavier than 22 rimfire cans.

Quote:
Are the parts replaceable or do they have a limited life expectancy?
Most .223 cans are sealed, the TAC-16 is the one exception that I am aware of. Most people are not going to wear out a .223 can in their lifetime unless you are doing something stupid or get a baffle strike. Some manufacturers can repair/rebuild the can without having to pay the GemTax.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Ridge_Runner_5

AAC M4-1000 seems to be a good can at an affordable price...
Old May 2, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11
jerryd

My son and myself have the Knights QD for our 5.56, very quiet fast to put on and take off, a little pricey i think we paid 1.3 k for it. Very quiet if shot wet. Go to silencertalk.com lots of good info there!
Old May 2, 2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

Take the info you find on silencertalk with a grain of salt.

Silencertalk is run by an employee of AAC.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Crosshair

Quote:
Take the info you find on silencertalk with a grain of salt.

Silencertalk is run by an employee of AAC.
True, but it's a a heck of a lot more open than other forums. It takes quite a bit for someone to get banned over there, let along have their posts censored.
Old May 2, 2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Ridge_Runner_5

Another good forum for .223 suppression
Old May 2, 2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Crosshair

Er.....trying to not get in trouble with the mods here, but Arfcom has a bit of a reputation for censoring some dissenting opinion. That's about as nice as I can put it.

Best to go to multiple boards and get a feel for things.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Ridge_Runner_5

Ive been a member there for several years. The only threads or posts I've seen deleted are people trolling or trying to start crap...
Old May 2, 2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Crosshair

Quote:
Ive been a member there for several years. The only threads or posts I've seen deleted are people trolling or trying to start crap...
The mods aren't going to let a debate on the matter start so I can't go there.

Silencertalk used to have a sub-forum just for arfcom shenanigans but then arfcom threw a legal hissie fit and it had to be removed. Still plenty of threads over there documenting things.

Just search the Silencertalk threads, most remaining threads link to the relevant arfcom threads and make up your own mind. I don't bother with arfcom anymore. (and no, silencertalk is hardly the only NFA forum I go to.)
Old May 4, 2010, 09:38 PM   #18
RAnb

ARF.com and SilencerTalk are two of three forums I have posted on about silencers which did not result my being told that I was a criminal for owning, making or simply talking about silencers. On most other forums I post on, I have had to defend my reputation when other people (who claim to own guns) accused me of breaking the law for owning a silencer.

I was banned from The Firearms Forum for discussing silencers and zealously defending the right to own and make them without a license. It seems that you are not allowed to tell someone that they are wrong if they have been a member longer than thou. They have a section on NFA weapons, but even one of the forum moderators likes to claim that making silencers is illegal.

The only problem I have had on AR-15.com was a guy claming to be a dealer who twice tried to talk me into breaking the WA law on silencer use. Even after I carefully explained that silencer use was banned in WA and the footage for the silencer education had to be shot in another state.

My only problems on SilencerTalk have been a guy who was mortally offended when I described Tasco SS scopes as "OK", and another guy who said I was pandering to the police by trying to set up a silencer shoot in WA state. I own 8 silencers, none of which are AAC.

Ranb
Old May 4, 2010, 11:44 PM   #19
ricloc

colt AR15

This is not a reply to anything as Im new here and was wondering the value of a new (60 rounds) colt AR15? ANY HELP ,THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED ! THANKS !
Old May 5, 2010, 06:54 AM   #20
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Some manufacturers can repair/rebuild the can without having to pay the GemTax.
I asked Yellowfin this question in an earlier thread; but since you are using the same term, maybe you can explain it.

Why is this called the "GemTax"? My understanding is that the "GemTax" refers to Gemtech sending the ATF a letter asking whether they can repair a suppressor where the outer tube has been damaged without "manufacturing" a new suppressor and requiring another $200 transfer tax.

ATF answered "No, you cannot." This should not have come as any surprise since ATF had already answered this same question in 1999 and had given the same answer. So I am not sure how Gemtech is to blame for this since A) They did not make the ruling and B) They weren't even the first person to ask the question. All they did was ask what the law was.

Every time I hear that it reminds me of the stupid little dramas that the suppressor forums at AR15.com were famous for - and I seriously doubt SilencerTalk is much better since it is most of the same people at the heart of the ARFCOM monkey business.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:15 PM   #21
flight954

1st. choice:If you have the cash, get a Knights Armament QDSS-NT4
2nd AAC M4 2000
3rd GemTech G5
4th YHM Phantom
Old May 6, 2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Skans

Quote:
don't have any first-hand experience with suppressors on a .223, but I think they're still loud enough to require hearing protection (although you might be able to get away with single hearing protection if you currently use double hearing protection.)
I've heard at least 1 Gemtech that was quiet enough to use without hearing protection.....even in full auto. A guy was out at the range a couple of years back trying to perfect an AR gas regulator he was working on for use with suppressors. He was using a gemtech - don't know what kind, but it was quiet enough to not use hearing protection. But, it's still far from being "silent".
Old May 6, 2010, 06:25 PM   #23
KChen986

What about Surefires? I've heard great things about Surefire's line of silencers too. Hear the POI shift is very minimal on their silencers. Anyone have experience to offer on a surefire can?
Old May 6, 2010, 06:32 PM   #24
dreamweaver

question, i bought my first can a couple months ago for my 9mm colt sporter AR. can the same can be effectively used for .223?
also, what price range are we talking for the cans mentioned, like a gemtech etc?
thanks
Old May 6, 2010, 08:18 PM   #25
flight954

Quote:
question, i bought my first can a couple months ago for my 9mm colt sporter AR. can the same can be effectively used for .223?
No, the pressures generated are very different from pistol and rifle cartridges.
You can do it, but you can ruin your 9mm can.