The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Remington74

Mossberg 500, new to me

So I found a 1985 vintage Mossberg at the local gun shop and had to take it home with me. 26"improved cylinder choke, wood is in good condition and metal shows some use. I picked up a 18.5" barrel at Sportsman's warehouse and it looks just fine for HD use. I am planning to re-blue the original barrel and use it on occasion for whatever. I took it down for a complete cleaning and all looks good internally. Any tips or suggestions as to what else may need to be done to this old girl?
Old October 2, 2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Sharkbite

The origional 500 design had a plastic tang safety. On ocassion these will break at the screw hole. A metal replacement is avail, as on the 590. Nice little upgrade.
Old October 3, 2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Rifletom

I'd say you a fine shotgun for HD and the field barrel for clays or upland chasing. I have two, 12 and 20ga and they do just fine in the range or in the field.
Old October 4, 2017, 05:51 AM   #4
Remington74

I plan to take it out this weekend and run a few rounds thru it. I'm curious what sort of pattern I get with the short barrel at 5-10 yards using 00 buck. Also the improved cylinder barrel at up to 30 yards with birdshot. It will probably spend the next few years just sitting in the corner of the bedroom but will get exercised every now and again, mostly just target practice as I haven't gone hunting in years.

Last edited by Remington74; October 4, 2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old October 4, 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
FITASC

The length of the barrel has nothing to do with the pattern you'll get. The choke constriction in the end of the barrel does. Different types and different brands of the same type of ammo can give you different results. Your IC at 30 yards will be perfect for upland birds, even some decoyed ducks using steel.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 4, 2017, 08:09 AM   #6
stuckinthe60s

save money and dont reblue.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old November 26, 2017, 02:53 AM   #7
DHart

For home defense use you may want to put a light on that 500. Perhaps a side saddle for another handful of shells at hand. Otherwise, shoot the snot out of it. Rack that action like your life depends on it (it may). Mossberg 500s are great shotguns!

I tend to like wood furniture on mine.
Old November 26, 2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Remington74

Nice looking shotguns! The corncob forend looks good, I may need to shop around for one of those.
Old November 26, 2017, 05:04 PM   #9
DHart

I love the corncob forends. Unfortunately, back when I was looking for them, they were getting very scarce. Possibly, these days they *may* be easier to find? I don't know.
Old November 29, 2017, 11:21 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

More importantly, where are you finding the wood Bantam 12 gauge stocks?

Mossberg only has one 500 model with them.